What's the general concensus? I wanted to get a non-Ibanez guitar, something with EMG's stock. My goal is the Metallica sound on And Justice/Ride the Lightning.
Great. Have you not used the search bar? They are several threads regarding LTD guitars models 400 and upwards, and general consensus is that they rock hard. Sure, the 1000's series so look a tad bling with the overkill of abalone but hey, it's still an awesome guitar. :P:
Get either a Horizon or Eclipse, they both have a heavy crunch, along with EMG's.

If I were you though, I would save up and get a standard Horizon/Eclipse. LTD isnt really as high quality as ESP. Just make sure the model is a 400 and up, as they are pretty decent for their price.
I liked the blue and red abalone, as well as the vintage black EC

Would the EMGs give me that sound though? I can get a close sound on my crunch channel but I think with a little more power to it I could nail it, which I'm hoping EMGs would do.
Quote by Twisted Magnum
Get either a Horizon or Eclipse, they both have a heavy crunch, along with EMG's.

If I were you though, I would save up and get a standard Horizon/Eclipse. LTD isnt really as high quality as ESP. Just make sure the model is a 400 and up, as they are pretty decent for their price.
What's better about the ESP models specifically?
The amp makes the EMG sound good, not the pickups themselves. If you have a crappy amp, then the sound will be just as crappy.

But assuming your amp is good, EMG's will make your sound very crunchy and have a sharp attack.
Quote by Twisted Magnum
The amp makes the EMG sound good, not the pickups themselves. If you have a crappy amp, then the sound will be just as crappy.

But assuming your amp is good, EMG's will make your sound very crunchy and have a sharp attack.
Nice. My amp is pretty good, especially for metal. My only worry about EMGs is that it will sound too saturated and not as well for light distortion which I occasionally use.
Quote by TJM2482
What's better about the ESP models specifically?

ESP models are high end models.

Think of Gibson and Epiphone.

Gibson=ESP
Epiphone=LTD

Epiphone isnt bad though, its just an analogy. As long as the LTD is high end, you should be fine although if you can afford a high end LTD then you might as well just get an ESP.
the necks are just right, they're not too thin but they're not fat like on some gibsons
also mine came with some amazing grover tuners and theyre amazing value for money

sometimes i have some minor complaints about mine but at the end of the day theres no other guitar i would pick than my ex-400
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
ESP EX-400
Roland Cube-15
Bugera 6260 head
Home made 2x12 loaded with celestion G12t-100s

OPETH FTW
i just noticed mine sounds like a wedding speech lol
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
ESP EX-400
Roland Cube-15