Okay, say that I start up a new band. I have a bunch of songs that I'd love to work on, but I don't want to share them with the band unless I think they're serious enough about it. Say I share the songs and teach them the parts but the band eventually breaks up or falls apart. I came up with the foundation of the song and the lyrics, but the bands played it for a while and the second guitarist came up with parts/drums/etc.

How does that situation work? I'd like to keep my song and re-teach it to any future band I'm in, but there's no denying the other member still contributed.

(this is hypothetical) Thoughts?
Quote by DanielQ
Okay, say that I start up a new band. I have a bunch of songs that I'd love to work on, but I don't want to share them with the band unless I think they're serious enough about it. Say I share the songs and teach them the parts but the band eventually breaks up or falls apart. I came up with the foundation of the song and the lyrics, but the bands played it for a while and the second guitarist came up with parts/drums/etc.

How does that situation work? I'd like to keep my song and re-teach it to any future band I'm in, but there's no denying the other member still contributed.

(this is hypothetical) Thoughts?

You need to copyright the music in your name.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by one vision
I think he says that he wants to start working on it with other people, that his ideas are only half developped. Therefore, it will be a group effort in the end.

Yeah, sorta. But i'd be the primarily contributor. I mean, it'd be mostly mine, but others would still be contributing.

So in such a situation, what would happen if the group dissolved or I got kicked out or something like that?
I have no idea. Maybe don't use their parts? I suggest don't expose them to your material unless you are absolutely sure that the project is going somewhere. Or just sit down and talk to them about it, I bet they have some material of their own they're skeptical to show you.

I realize this is hypothetical, but talk to them, it's on everyone's mind for sure. You'll just be the one to say it. I've heard of bands signing papers to rights or something, with a lawyer. I read this book, it was called like "Everything you need to know to start a band" or something like that. That's probably not the name, I forgot it. It had a lot of useful info.
In law, the developer of the intellectual property owns it.

There are plenty of notwithstandings, like:

if you're working for someone else, that person owns it. [prove that THEY were working for you]

if the person came up with it before they even met you, it's called 'prior art' and different jurisdictions have different precedents about that [record things as you do them and they 'belong' to you]

And, of course, it all has to be interpretted by a judge. Make your case convincing.

I think that if you're really worried about your band members stealing your songs, you have problems that the legal system can't solve.
If I did it, this is how I did it.
^ Not so much stealing the songs. But I'd like to be able to continue to use songs that I write after the band breaks up.

How about if I come up with the songs 100%. The band dissolves. I'd like to use the same song on future projects.
Quote by DanielQ
^ Not so much stealing the songs. But I'd like to be able to continue to use songs that I write after the band breaks up.

How about if I come up with the songs 100%. The band dissolves. I'd like to use the same song on future projects.

write the songs 1st.... copyright them..... then bring it to the band.

If the band is involved in the writing, you have to give them credit.

Keep in mind the melody + lyrics + chord progression + arrangement are what's copyrightable.

If you've already put alot of time in to songs that you honestly feel could be worth something, I would copyright it 1st. If you plan on drawing from the talents of other individuals, you have to work out something that is fair to them.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 24, 2008,
Only the parts you write down on paper are the ones you can take, so if its just the guitarpart you came up with, thats all you get.
Gear:Schecter C1+
Peavey Triple XXX 120 Watt Tube Head
Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Recto Cab

Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Stilletto Cab<<--600$ for sale ask me

Credentials: BFA in Theater Performance, BM in Music Composition