I'm going to try and get a SM57 very soon because I want to make add a few more YouTube vids of myself jamming. If plug direct in to my Micro BR, like I usually do, I loose the drive of my tube amp.

So basically, I know nothing about phantom power - and I was just wondering if a SM57 would work if plugged directly (via the guitar input) of my Micro BR. (A digital recorder)
^ Spot on

The 57 and 58 are dynamic mics
Only condenser mics such as the MXL 990 or 991 would need 48V phantom power to work.

Tip:
Dont just use an adapter, get a cable with an XLR at one side and the TRS at the other, this will put less stress at the input jack of that tiny recorder.

These work great for the price:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live-Wire-TRSXLRF-Patch-Cable?sku=331066
Quote by Tomaz24
I'm going to try and get a SM57 very soon because I want to make add a few more YouTube vids of myself jamming. If plug direct in to my Micro BR, like I usually do, I loose the drive of my tube amp.

So basically, I know nothing about phantom power - and I was just wondering if a SM57 would work if plugged directly (via the guitar input) of my Micro BR. (A digital recorder)

SM57's are self powering.

Phantom power means that you need a special mixer to plug it into, basically.... preamp of some kind to feed energy into the microphone.

There are dynamic mic's allot of dynamic mic's that use phantom power. Don't listen to what people say here they don't know what they are talking about. Almost all senhiesers use phantom power.
^ sounds like you are the one who doesnt know what he is talking about...

Condensers don't need any type of special mixer, they just need 48V.

Some condensers like shot gun mics for the movie industry will run on a single battery.

Most mixers and interfaces will have on board phantom power most of the time but if you don't have that on your interface or mixer you can get phantom power supplies.
Last edited by moody07747 at May 23, 2008,
Quote by silentdud
SM57's are self powering.

Phantom power means that you need a special mixer to plug it into, basically.... preamp of some kind to feed energy into the microphone.

There are dynamic mic's allot of dynamic mic's that use phantom power. Don't listen to what people say here they don't know what they are talking about. Almost all senhiesers use phantom power.

So you're saying that there's lots of dynamics that use phantom power? And you're claiming other people here don't know what they're talking about?
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by silentdud
There are dynamic mic's allot of dynamic mic's that use phantom power.
links to THREE please. out of "allot" you shouldn't have a hard time finding 3 should you?

Quote by silentdud
Don't listen to what people say here they don't know what they are talking about.
i'm not sure i can argue with that. i think i'm experiencing that right now.

Quote by silentdud
Almost all senhiesers use phantom power.
Name THREE phantom powered Sennheiser microphones that are dynamic, not condenser.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by fridge_raider
So you're saying that there's lots of dynamics that use phantom power? And you're claiming other people here don't know what they're talking about?

I used to listen to what people had to say here when I went to work at a production resource company... i.e. the people who pack shows... I learned a thing or two because I had to. dont believe everything you read about in this forum.

btw. any sort of ball dynamic microphone, or stick microphone for recording ambient noise uses phantom power.
Last edited by silentdud at May 25, 2008,
And the maybe 5 ball dynamics on the market quantifies as alot?

Of course omni-directional condenser microphones require phantom power, they are condensers, not dynamics. If you're using dynamics to pick up ambient noises, you're doing it wrong.

You're right. We shouldn't listen to everything we read.