right first thread guys. basically me and a few friends have been 'jamming' for two years now, with no real performances. i'm looking for a new amp, in the price range of around £200 or $450.
basically my question is this, am i better off with a cheap head and cab at this price, such as the 60 watt Hartke Piggy Back, or a physically smaller combo such as the vox AD50VT?
I understand that most venues have a PA system anyway.
This is a totally stupid question, and forgive my ignorance, but if i were to get a combo, could i connect it to a cab at a later stage, so my guitar goes through both?

thanks in advance.
depends on the combo, how easily you can connect another cab to it. If you get one make sure it has outs for an external cab. A lot of them do but not all so you have to check. Otherwise you'll have to have it modded so you can connect a cab to it.

For me I'd rather have a head and cab for the reason that a 2x12 combo can get pretty heavy and if it's not made like a tank you can have vibration issues if you play very loud. I also feel like you get more flexabilty and options with a separate head. Like if you want to try a different cab, like a closed back one for instance, it's easier.
thanks guys,
but anyone know of a decent head and cab for a good price? also, would something like the vox ad50vt be loud enough for a gig?
Combo's don't necessarily make things easier.

If you want the chance to expand to a stereo setup later on, or run a bigger or smaller cab, depending on the stiuation... then its obvious, go with a head and cab. Usually when you buy a cheaper combo, the speakers are not as good as a separate cab.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
guys, he has 450 bucks... he's not gonna get a head and cab that's not crap at that price...

check out peavey valveking 112 50 watt combo, all tube, as loud as you'll ever need
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
either way, just make sure it sounds good. I would just go with a combo though.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Combo in my opinion. Most have external speaker jacks, my '63 reissue does for example. I just don't see how lugging around a cab and a head could ever be easier than a 40 pound combo.
Quote by danyellenik
guys, he has 450 bucks... he's not gonna get a head and cab that's not crap at that price...
need

Correction, he has 450 euro, which is 850-900 USD (I'm not to0 bright on that subject)

You could get a 2x12 marshall cab for about 200 euro, but im not sure where you could get a head for 250 euro, that' not utter crap.

EDIT: Peavey Valveking Half-Stack = 900 USD/ 450 Euro
Get it if you want a good tube stack for volume. Unless your playing small clubs, this is probably the best stack for the money.

Stay away from SS half-stacks (MG's, Crate's)

But if you're hauling this back and forth, it will be a huge hassle.
A lighter half-stack would be a nice AVT150HX head
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-AVT150HX-150W-Amp-Head?sku=482630V
And a Marshall 2x12
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MC212-130w-2x12-Guitar-Extension-Cabinet?sku=481033

Not sure if that's over 450 euro.
Last edited by wolfy808 at May 22, 2008,
I would get a combo, simply because it's easier to carry.
Quote by wolfy808
Correction, he has 450 euro, which is 850-900 USD (I'm not to0 bright on that subject)

You could get a 2x12 marshall cab for about 200 euro, but im not sure where you could get a head for 250 euro, that' not utter crap.

EDIT: Peavey Valveking Half-Stack = 900 USD/ 450 Euro
Get it if you want a good tube stack for volume. Unless your playing small clubs, this is probably the best stack for the money.

Stay away from SS half-stacks (MG's, Crate's)

But if you're hauling this back and forth, it will be a huge hassle.
A lighter half-stack would be a nice AVT150HX head
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-AVT150HX-150W-Amp-Head?sku=482630V
And a Marshall 2x12
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MC212-130w-2x12-Guitar-Extension-Cabinet?sku=481033

Not sure if that's over 450 euro.

He said he has 200 euros which is 450 dollars.
it's actually £200. So €350 or $425 approx.
i can afford to go a little over this. has anyone used either the hartke piggy back or the vox ad50vt, or express opinions on it?
thanks again
Speaking as a guy who does sound in rooms that most regular gigging bands would consider normal to large...just a decent combo, especially on that budget of yours.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣