ok so im a guitarist but today, i joined a band (hardcore/thrash)as a bassist, and i was wondering if there were any excercises i should do to get better all around as a bassist
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
scales..
lots of them. a good place to start to get good quic,
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Firstly. Stop thinking of it as a big guitar. You need different techniques for both hands.

Your fretting hand should have the thumb on the back of the nck (not wrapped around) and you should be using a 4 finger stretch with each finger roughly parallel to the frets.

In order to help you isolate bass and guitar, I recommend you at least try learning finger style. This involves simply brushing your fingers over the strings so they vibrate parrallel to the fretboard. Make sure you alterante the fingers. Using a single finger is not giong to be fast enough for a thrash band.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Try to use 3 fingers, its what im working on, but you can use a pick too, of do 50% of the time pick and 50% of the time fingers
Quote by kyle33093
Try to use 3 fingers, its what im working on, but you can use a pick too, of do 50% of the time pick and 50% of the time fingers

Ahh, but 3 fingers isn't necessarily faster than 2. If you use a 3212 pattern, you are still limited by the speed of the middle finger, which is the same for 2 finger plucking.

If you go 321321, you get the akwards job of making sure you emphasise the beats with different fingers each time (unless you only play triplets).

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
ok so can sum1 point me in the direction of sum good bass scales/excercises?
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Honest to god, just play with songs that use the techniques you want to establish. Its my belief (that I stole from Victor Wooten) that playing a with a song one time can help you more then spending an hour on exercises and scales.
g--------------------------------------------------
d---------------------22--33--22---------------
a--------22--55--------------------55---22----
e--33---------------------------------------------

then after that 2 times do this

g-------------------22--33--22------------------
d-------22---55------------------55--22--------
a--33---------------------------------------------
e--------------------------------------------------

this is a cool little jazz bass line

play it about the same beat as your heart
Quote by kyle33093
g--------------------------------------------------
d---------------------22--33--22---------------
a--------22--55--------------------55---22----
e--33---------------------------------------------

then after that 2 times do this

g-------------------22--33--22------------------
d-------22---55------------------55--22--------
a--33---------------------------------------------
e--------------------------------------------------

this is a cool little jazz bass line

play it about the same beat as your heart

Thats a rockabilly line. In jazz, even country jazz, it is a rarity to see two of the same note one after the other in a walking line.
i've been playing bass with my fingers for well over 3 years now, and I can honestly say it's far more fun than using a plectrum. not only does playing with your fingers produces a softer and more versatile tone, but it's more energetic and thus, more fun.
Start slowly and focus on perfect rhythm, the bass is a backbeat and although you'll probably get easier parts (unless you're covering the who), getting a single note wrong could throw your band off balance just as easily as your drummer screwing up a beat. it might seem slow and sluggish compared to picking, but trust me, it's worth the effort.
Quote by gm jack
Ahh, but 3 fingers isn't necessarily faster than 2. If you use a 3212 pattern, you are still limited by the speed of the middle finger, which is the same for 2 finger plucking.

If you go 321321, you get the akwards job of making sure you emphasise the beats with different fingers each time (unless you only play triplets).

when you practice the 321321 technique the emphasis and flow comes naturally.

But it is a good idea to learn to use 3 fingers. They make some passages easier to play, than if you were using 2 fingers.
another question.

how much of a difference would new strings make since these are over a year old
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
A world of difference. You sir, have dead strings--get yourself a set of new ones and you will hear your bass in a whole different way.

And you wont feel you have to pluck or use your fingers so hard, because the strings will resonate much better with a lighter and proper touch.
Quote by seizetheday1103
another question.

how much of a difference would new strings make since these are over a year old

Really it depends on the tone you want, some people never change their strings because it gives a deeper tone, but it's all just preference, even if people say you must change, you don't.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Really it depends on the tone you want, some people never change their strings because it gives a deeper tone, but it's all just preference, even if people say you must change, you don't.

The sound of dead roundwounds is essentially the tone of flatwounds. There are even groundwounds for people who like the inbetween.

I just find old strings get horrible and grimy, no matter how much the wipe them down, eventually. It is disgusting to play on a bass with horrible strings. Just get strings that suit the tone you like.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
well, i have ZERO money rite now, so i have to wait

so for Drop C metal, what strings would u guys recommend?
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by seizetheday1103
well, i have ZERO money rite now, so i have to wait

so for Drop C metal, what strings would u guys recommend?

As heavy a guage as possible. Then, follow that up with a complete setup, as the neck will be under different tensions in drop C.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
G-55
D-75
A-90
E-115(if you can get any)

also, try typing one handed. It makes your fingers quite nimble.

try this...
G------------------------------------------2------------0-0------------
D-------------0----------------2-0----------4-0-----------4-0-2-0--
A---0-0-2-0---4----0-0-2-0-------0-0--------4-2------------------
E------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Heavy strings for ADG and maybe a light B would work. But as gm_Jack said get your bass set up.
Quote by gm jack

wow, i honestly never thought about it that way...

i'm trying to learn 4 and 5 finger techniques anyway, so there you go
"Aww what’s the matter? You’re the one who started this game. Now you’re losing and you don’t want to play any more."
-Vegeta
although the excercises given are good, they werent really wat i was looking for, which is to build RIGHT finger speed and dexterity
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by seizetheday1103
although the excercises given are good, they werent really wat i was looking for, which is to build RIGHT finger speed and dexterity

Playing fast isn't a problem. That is something that comes with consistant practise over a long period of time. Slowly, you just build speed. You often hardly notice. All it takes is to revisit a piece that used to be too fast to notice how much your speed can build up without any dedicated speed training.

Coordination between your two hands is what you need. Both hands will have different techniques to guitar, so coordination exercises like the spider pattern are perfect.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack

Your fretting hand should have the thumb on the back of the nck (not wrapped around) and you should be using a 4 finger stretch with each finger roughly parallel to the frets.

Why does everyone here seem to assume that all guitarists play with their thumb wrapped around the neck? I seriously know like one guitarist that does that, most guitarist i know only do that if they are using their thumb to fret the low e string on certain chords.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
ok, as a bassist does it really matter if i use a pick or not? b/c i CANNOT use my fingers w/ the accuracy or speed i need for my band
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
it doesn't matter. But you don't wanna be a one trick pony. learn to use the fingers, gig wit da pick.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by seizetheday1103
ok, as a bassist does it really matter if i use a pick or not? b/c i CANNOT use my fingers w/ the accuracy or speed i need for my band

tonally it makes a pretty big difference. In the genre your playing a lot people use picks so you'll be fine, but if you ever want to play Jazz or Funk or something you will need to learn to use your fingers.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
didnt wanna make a new thread, so...

my friend is selling his ibanez grs200 for 90$. before i go play it, does anyone have any experience w/ this bass?
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
I have it, and mine is the jesus of $200 basses. it feels like happiness.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by gm jack
Firstly. Stop thinking of it as a big guitar. You need different techniques for both hands.

In order to help you isolate bass and guitar, I recommend you at least try learning finger style. This involves simply brushing your fingers over the strings so they vibrate parrallel to the fretboard. Make sure you alterante the fingers. Using a single finger is not giong to be fast enough for a thrash band.

well if he has monster hands like mine its ok to wrap the thumb around, i have to wrap my thumb around because my digits are mutant...and thats on a five string neck...
AMPS:
Bugera 333XL
Orange AD30
VoxAC30cc2
ELECTRIC GUITARS:
Les Paul Standard 60s Neck
Jackson DKM2
Godin Solidac
ACOUSTICS:
Taylor 714CE
#1 Influence:
RUSH!!!
Quote by WolfBlackRiver
well if he has monster hands like mine its ok to wrap the thumb around, i have to wrap my thumb around because my digits are mutant...and thats on a five string neck...

It gives you are less agility around the neck than wrapping your thumb around. While it may be initially uncomfortable, I can notice an imrovement in my playing almost immediately after I stopped wrapping my thumb around. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
well accually i started looking more at my thumb and it isnt accually wrapping, just the tip is poking up a few times...now a few times i did catch it creeping up higher, mostly near the headstock, but a good slap of the hand makes it go back down lol.
AMPS:
Bugera 333XL
Orange AD30
VoxAC30cc2
ELECTRIC GUITARS:
Les Paul Standard 60s Neck
Jackson DKM2
Godin Solidac
ACOUSTICS:
Taylor 714CE
#1 Influence:
RUSH!!!