I've just started playing guitar and I've been trying to learn a lot of blink-182 songs to start off with. I keep on seeing power chords with X's in the middle like this:

G-4
D-X
A-2

How would you play the X part of that?
You have your finger touching the string, but not all the way so it makes a sound.

Basically, if you put all of your fingers over the fret board, but not all the way down, and you strum, you get that dull empty sound. That's the X's in the tablature.
Quote by SmElLy KiD
That is priceless man, you might be my new idol.

TS, whenever I see your username, I misread it as "isuckhardcocks."

Just had to get that out there.

We're ticking away, the moments that make up the dull days
that's not even powerchord. that's just a root, then the octave. make the x a 4, then you have a powerchord.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by cashewchaching
that's not even powerchord. that's just a root, then the octave. make the x a 4, then you have a powerchord.

Hey, don't go all theory style on the guy, he's a beginner. And I would call it a power chord without the fifth.
Actually I wouldn't call it a power chord without its 5th. Not very powerful sounding to me w/o it. I'd just refer to them as octave chords that you can do easy lead-type stuff over power chords with.
There octave chords, or, the proper name if you want to call it by it, is "harmonic intervals"
Been away, am back
Many ways you can mute the string, even in a more complex chord, when you are using all of your fingers, you could barely touch it with another part of a finger that's fretting another string(s), and it will get the job done. Keep it up dude!
Its an octave chord, but technically its not even a chord because you need two or more notes to call something a chord (So I heard) but that doesn't matter. If its a dull muted sound you are seeing or hearing then the expression is called muting. Its also called scratching as it procures a similar sound to a DJ sracthing on the spin discs. The sound from Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit comes from striking muted stings. You have to be careful though, you have to apply enough preasure to the strings, but not enough for them to be fretted (actually notes). If you don't, you may here this ringing, high pitched sound which is a called a harmonic point, which is not the 'X' as you marked.
Quote by wemetaliens
Actually I wouldn't call it a power chord without its 5th. Not very powerful sounding to me w/o it. I'd just refer to them as octave chords that you can do easy lead-type stuff over power chords with.

Got it
Okay, this is getting ridiculous now.

swmangol: If you're playing this:
G-4-
D-x-
A-2-
Play the 2 with your index finger and the 4 with whatever is comfortable. The best way to mute the D string is with the index finger; lean it back a little bit so that you're still fretting the 2 on the A string but touching the D string enough that it will not make a sound. You could also try using a free finger to mute the D string, but that would complicate things most likely.

Secondly, it's an octave. Nothing more. An octave is not a chord, it's not a power chord; there is no such thing as an "octave chord". It's simply an interval, and that's all.
Quote by :-D
Okay, this is getting ridiculous now.

swmangol: If you're playing this:
G-4-
D-x-
A-2-
Play the 2 with your index finger and the 4 with whatever is comfortable. The best way to mute the D string is with the index finger; lean it back a little bit so that you're still fretting the 2 on the A string but touching the D string enough that it will not make a sound. You could also try using a free finger to mute the D string, but that would complicate things most likely.

Secondly, it's an octave. Nothing more. An octave is not a chord, it's not a power chord; there is no such thing as an "octave chord". It's simply an interval, and that's all.

Ha!
Quote by :-D
^What? I'm confused.

Oh sorry, I hope that didn't seem like I was laughing at it cruely. I just found the whole fustrated way you wrote that to be funny and it contradicted your tag of always smiling. I just have this funny image of someone getting all flustered and trying to smile at the same time. Sorry mate.
No, it's okay, I didn't think you were; I was just confused. My name is very contradictory to my demeanor, so many people tell me what you just did.