Well, I'm flat out still new to music. God hates me and gives me only about an hour a day to play, but showed me kindness the other day (yay, I ryhmed!)

Anywho, I went to a Guitar Center for the first time the other day. Well, I took a friend who wanted to play a VG Strat and that was our main reason for going. Whilst there, I picked up quite a few basses (and a free lesson!) and just played around with some choppy stuff I've written meself. Two stood out major for me... the Gibson Thunderbird and the Fender P-Bass. Both felt right. Well, here's the thing... Graduation's tomorrow... and I'm expecting my parents to hand me quite some cash. Also, I'm going to college in the fall (loans will be funding that however). Even if they don't I can finance either bass. Well, I need opinions. My friend just shrugged and said, "You're money... You should get that Explorer instead." He almost had to walk to his mum's office because of that.

So, I'm asking you, the good people of UG, to help me make my decision. And if anyone's going to ask what I'm playing now, it's a Samick Fairlne 2. Please help me...
The Gibson T-Bird might feel good to you at that instant, but over time, I can't help but think the quirks of the bass will start to become annoying, especially considering you could've spent your money better.

For that price level, you have many, many options. I'd check out the new and improved American Series of Fenders - Bass Player Magazine gave them terrific reviews. I own an American Deluxe bass and recommend one wholeheartedly, assuming you want something a bit more modern/fancy.

Also, if you're looking for something modern, check Warwick basses. There are many, many flavours available in your price range, like Corvettes, and bolt on Thumbs or Streamers.

If you're looking for something classic but a bit more boutiquey, check out Lakland. They're a great Fender style company.

If you want that slap sound (sigh), look into Musicman. They make top-notch instruments.

Anyway, at that price level, you're basically looking at most basses. I'm really not high on Thunderbirds, and regardless of my bias, they're NOT a good value and their prices are just insulting.

Oh, and I hope I'm in before all those dudes robotically tell you "what's your amp? Forget about a good instrument, amp amp amp!" While getting an amp is necessary, there's nothing quite like getting a sweet axe for grad. You don't get personally attached to amps, but you do get attached to instruments.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I saw a Stingray there, but the guy who worked there was using it to show off amps to a customer, so I was unable to get ahold of it. It sounds like I need to make another trip down there and spend more time playing around. I'm just not looking for anything over $100 a month. And if I understand correctly, it's a 15 month period. As for an amp, that'll be for Christmas.

I thank you too.
I wanted a thunderbird studio and ended up with a 4003 (at severely reduced price), to be honest you can never say what bass is for you. i'd recommend a warwick for your price range though, they're gorgeous and very ergonomic.
In that price range there's obviously a huge amount of choice but if it were me I'd be looking at Fender Dlx P, Warwick FNA, Ibanez ATK750, and the Lakland Skyline sigs for starters.
I'd get a Warwick, myself.
unless they have one of those Poplar burl Ibanez's lying about.
you might consider G&L- they can get most Gibson tones and a couple good ones too. and they feel like P-basses.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by smb
In that price range there's obviously a huge amount of choice but if it were me I'd be looking at Fender Dlx P, Warwick FNA, Ibanez ATK750, and the Lakland Skyline sigs for starters.

Actually, I'm not a fan of the Warwick FNA. Compared to the Corvette standards, it just seemed, weak. It lacked any real punch or power, although the tone was pleasent. It just didn't really reach you and hit you like more Warwicks.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I normally hate Warwicks but the FNA is the one I like...maybe there's something a bit less Warwick-y about it than most Corvettes that endears it to me.
Quote by smb

Well, chances are I'm gonna go Fender, but I'm gonna go down there after I get money and spend a good two hours or somethin like that checkin out basses. But why the Dlx P and not the American Standard. (That's the one I was checkin out)
Quote by dawg1232
But why the Dlx P and not the American Standard.
Mostly because I much much much prefer active basses to passive and I really like the bridge humbucker. The MIA standards are great basses.