I am at a point in my life where I need to upgrade my computer speakers. My old ones have done me well but only 2 of 4 speakers are still with us today. I was thinking about getting a pair of powered studio monitors as my new speakers. I do a lot of recording, so the monitors would definitely be good for mixing and mastering, but what about for just casually listening to music?

I simply just don't know anything about powered monitor speakers. If they would work for casual listening as well as recording, do I need to buy an amp for the speakers? Will I need a subwoofer too? If I do need to buy all of these extras I might just consider buying some regular computer speakers, but I want good ones. Any suggestions?

Also, would I be able to use my current subwoofer (just a standard not too shabby computer speaker subwoofer) with the powered studio monitors if I did want to help with the low end?

Another also, I would be using these with my laptop, which only has an 1/8" headphone jack for the speakers. Would this grately affect the quality I would be getting from the powered speakers if I used a 1/8" to 1/4" converter from radioshack?
Last edited by Non Boxed at May 22, 2008,
Why would completely accurate renderings of the music be bad to listen to =P

Powered monitors don't need amps, they already have power. You don't need a subwoofer either, but it can help with the low end.
The only thing you need to do with powered monitors is plug them both in and feed audio into them. They are not passive so they wont need a power amp to run.

IMO, Studio monitors, (assuming you get some fair ones) are better than standard PC speakers for both mixing and every day listening.
Ive never seen those before but they look like they would not work well for mixing...
too small...they just look like fancy PC speakers...IMO.

I would go with a set of KRK RP5s or even better, some RP6s

RP6 will set you back $200 each:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/KRK-RP6-Rokit-Powered-Reference-Studio-Monitor?sku=602313

The 5s go for half that.

True monitors usually come in a set of two or individually. Each unit should require power, anything that needs power to only one side and jumps audio between the two iisnt a true set of studio monitors in my mind.

The RP5s output a nice amount of bass but if you like more bass I suggest the RP6s since they have a slightly larger woofer. You may need a proper sound card with L and R outputs to run to your new monitors. The m-audio 2496 is what I use for this type setup but if you have an audio interface just run the output of the control room on that to the monitors using some TRS cables.
Last edited by moody07747 at May 22, 2008,
The Blue Sky set does seem like really fancy computer speakers, but I'm thinking that that might just be what I need. Yeah, I do recording and the true monitors would probably be better for mixing, but they would be really good for casually listening to music, and the subwoofer is really important to me for that. I have been mixing using some $50 set of computer speakers and my mixes have turned out pretty well I feel, so the Blue Sky would still be an improvement over that. I guess the only thing I would have to worry about is my mix having too low of bass because of the big subwoofer might exaggerate the bass I hear.

But as far as the KRK speakers, they do have very good reviews. However, I am really confused about how to connect them to my laptop. I looked at the manual, and it didn't really seem to have connecting them to a laptop in mind. How does that work?
Quote by Non Boxed
I am at a point in my life where I need to upgrade my computer speakers. My old ones have done me well but only 2 of 4 speakers are still with us today. I was thinking about getting a pair of powered studio monitors as my new speakers. I do a lot of recording, so the monitors would definitely be good for mixing and mastering, but what about for just casually listening to music?

I simply just don't know anything about powered monitor speakers. If they would work for casual listening as well as recording, do I need to buy an amp for the speakers? Will I need a subwoofer too? If I do need to buy all of these extras I might just consider buying some regular computer speakers, but I want good ones. Any suggestions?

Also, would I be able to use my current subwoofer (just a standard not too shabby computer speaker subwoofer) with the powered studio monitors if I did want to help with the low end?

Another also, I would be using these with my laptop, which only has an 1/8" headphone jack for the speakers. Would this grately affect the quality I would be getting from the powered speakers if I used a 1/8" to 1/4" converter from radioshack?

If it says powered, you don't need an amp because there is a plug coming out of the back and literally the amp is inside of the speakers.

If it says passive or anything like that, you need an amplifier absolutely.

I really don't feel like reading your long-ass post, but I have a pair and I think I might go crazy if I didn't have these speakers. I love them.

Powered amplifiers are very expensive. Unless you are in the mackie range, I would just go with something cheap and personal like a Behringer.

KRK is amazing, if you can afford it. I have heard a pair before I really liked them.
Last edited by silentdud at May 22, 2008,
Quote by Non Boxed
The Blue Sky set does seem like really fancy computer speakers, but I'm thinking that that might just be what I need. Yeah, I do recording and the true monitors would probably be better for mixing, but they would be really good for casually listening to music, and the subwoofer is really important to me for that. I have been mixing using some $50 set of computer speakers and my mixes have turned out pretty well I feel, so the Blue Sky would still be an improvement over that. I guess the only thing I would have to worry about is my mix having too low of bass because of the big subwoofer might exaggerate the bass I hear.

But as far as the KRK speakers, they do have very good reviews. However, I am really confused about how to connect them to my laptop. I looked at the manual, and it didn't really seem to have connecting them to a laptop in mind. How does that work?

Well if you have an external interface, (which you should have if you are recording...) there will be L and R phono jack outputs. You would run those outputs to each monitor input at the back. (These monitors have RCA, XLR, and phono TRS inputs)

Another way which isn't the best to go is you could try running one of these cables from your laptop output to the inputs on each monitor:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hosa-Stereo-Ycable-Mini-MaleTwo-RCA-Males?sku=333055

Once again, its best to buy and use some type of interface. Running audio into a stock sound card on any type of computer will give poor results in recording and playback. Also an interface will improve your playback audio quality since it's bypassing the stock sound card.

If you buy large monitors like the RP6s you should not need any woofer, I know members at another board who use the RP5s without any woofer and they can mix and master without any problem. As I said, these monitors can put out a lot of bass.