Change of plans. I've decided with my newly found 200 dollars, I am going to install new pickups into one of my guitars. Now the question becomes which. Should I put new pickups into my Ibanez GSA60, which has wonderful versatility and a good neck, or my Peavey Predator, which from what I've read is built with great materials, and would be an excellent guitar with new tuners and new pickups. The neck on the Peavey is fantastic and I love the way it feels, whereas the Ibanez has been my workhorse for the last while. I play alternative, thrash, metal, hard rock, blues, jazz, and I love a good clean and indie tone.

What should I do?
upgrading pickups won't do nearly a difference saving that money and buying a nice tube amp to replace that valvetronix
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
People have this misconception that pickups alter the sound to a far greater degree on your guitar, not to sound horrible or anything mate but I agree with danyellenick, a new tube amp would greatly improve your sound. But it will cost a lot more than your budget so... if I was to suggest pickups, Seymour Duncan JB's and Jazz. They are fitted on many guitars and are renowned for being all round brilliant pickups, for the price anyway. You can find pretty much any sound that you want with them. Maybe not death metal.
Unlike almost EVERY person on this forum.
Im gunna both help you and give my advice.

I would put new pickups in the bridge positions of both guitars.

And now for the part that will get annoying really fast.
I as many ugers know, that a tube amplifier will improve your tone massively compared to getting a new pair of pups.
If your amplifier isnt very good then any guitar will sound pretty lousy through it no matter how excellant the pups are.
I would recomend the Blackheart combo tube amp that just came out.
Its around the price of a pair of pickups and will be much better for you.
and if you have pedals you could easily make this amp suit your tastes of several genres.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH5112-5W-1x12-Little-Giant-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=481675
Theres the blackheart.

Hope i helped at all.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Unlike almost EVERY person on this forum.
Im gunna both help you and give my advice.

I would put new pickups in the bridge positions of both guitars.

And now for the part that will get annoying really fast.
I as many ugers know, that a tube amplifier will improve your tone massively compared to getting a new pair of pups.
If your amplifier isnt very good then any guitar will sound pretty lousy through it no matter how excellant the pups are.
I would recomend the Blackheart combo tube amp that just came out.
Its around the price of a pair of pickups and will be much better for you.
and if you have pedals you could easily make this amp suit your tastes of several genres.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH5112-5W-1x12-Little-Giant-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=481675
Theres the blackheart.

Hope i helped at all.

I didn't answer his question really did I? I would say change the pickups on the guitar that may have better resale options. I know that may sound cruel and crude but seeing as I have no experience with that particular Peavey, or that Ibanez infact, I can't give my opinion on which guitar is better. The best thing for you to do is change the bridge pickups on both guitars like the guy suggested. A nice Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio pickup woul suffice, any model probably. Also ask the guy who is actually changing the pickups (if your not doing it) as he may know which guitar's woods would suit which pickups more transpondently.
Ibanez generally speaking make better instruments than Peavey, but that could be different in your case.
I am content with the Valvetronix for now, mostly because of the versatility, so would this money be better spent on an EQ pedal and another effect or something?

EDIT: My only problem with the Blackheart is that I don't think 5 watts tube will be enough. The tone I've heard on them is amazing, but I don't know if it's enough headroom to be able to play even my gymnasium. I could be wrong though.
Last edited by Iamonfire at May 22, 2008,
Quote by Iamonfire
I am content with the Valvetronix for now, mostly because of the versatility, so would this money be better spent on an EQ pedal and another effect or something?

EDIT: My only problem with the Blackheart is that I don't think 5 watts tube will be enough. The tone I've heard on them is amazing, but I don't know if it's enough headroom to be able to play even my gymnasium. I could be wrong though.

Read some reviews about it and youlle hear thats its quite a powerfull little thing.
and if your cranking the volume on the 5w setting it should compete with the drums.

I only suggested the Blackheart due to its cheep price and good quality.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Read some reviews about it and youlle hear thats its quite a powerfull little thing.
and if your cranking the volume on the 5w setting it should compete with the drums.

I only suggested the Blackheart due to its cheep price and good quality.

I'm definitely looking into it. Would it be able to do small gigs? It will most likely be mic'd.
The Valvetronix is a great little amp. I have the 30 watt ADVT version and it stands up against a bassist and a loud drummer.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
The Valvetronix is a great little amp. I have the 30 watt ADVT version and it stands up against a bassist and a loud drummer.

I currently own a Vox Valvetronix AD50VT 212.

Thanks anyways.
Quote by Iamonfire
I'm definitely looking into it. Would it be able to do small gigs? It will most likely be mic'd.

If its mic'd up it will be PLENTY of power for a small gig.

A little sorce of advice though.
Because this amplifier is a TRUE tube amp the Eq settings on your current amp shouldnt be used.
Find a good setting wit the amplfier if you get it.