Page 1 of 2
I decided to copy this into the B&A, but under general musicians, so I could see a wider view than just metal albums.

You don't have to explain why your choices are highly influential, but if you want to, go for it.

Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth)

His guitar playing, his ability to write skullfuck riffing and yet somehow switch over to acoustic patterns, or even a extremely catchy chorus astounds me to this day. His singing, from bowel-moving growls, to ear piercing screams, and then again to his beautiful melodic voice, creates one of the most versatile musicians I've ever heard. He's not a complete wanker on the guitar, or in real life

Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree)

While no means a technical virtuoso, he is definitely a huge influence on me. His knack for vocal lines is almost disturbing (seriously, listen to the Sound of Muzak, the chorus...is just, wow.). His way of using various production techniques to make a song go from meh material, to outstanding material is breathtaking. And, his voice...

His lyrics are also some of my favorites, and some of the best I've ever heard.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)

The first real death metal I had heard was Death and Morbid Angel, in that order. Out of those two, I was much more comfortable with Death. Chuck could easily write some of the most crushing, balls-to-the-wall riffing, and then smoothly lead into a liquid melodic piece. His vocals and lyrics are also very influential in the fact that, Chuck (along with Cynic and Atheist), was one of the first few to strive away from the death, blood, and gore of traditional death metal and delve into more meaningful topics.

Go for it, bois. And, goils, I guess.

R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory

Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15

I can't figure out how to get more than one pic up so my other influences are Kim Thayil and Mike McCready
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Last edited by soundgarden19 at May 22, 2008,
Stephen Carpenter - Taught me that playing guitar is not just about playing fast sections, its about writting. I found what kind of a guitar player I was by listening to Deftones. I am a writting guitarist. I can't shred, as much as I try to, but I know I can write original and interesting riffs, solos and entire orchestral songs.

David Gilmour - First got me into playing guitar seriously. First rock band to listen to at the age of 8. Thats it really.

Brent Hinds - Taught me how to use alternate timings, not to show off but to compliment a song and to entertain your audience by weirding you out and surprising you. He also showed how you can combine different musically styles and tastes to great effect. He combined country hybid picking (something I can now do and love doing) with heavy metal down tuned 3/4 timing riffs!

There are a shed load of others who have influenced me - Porcupine Tree guitarist for one. Metallica boys, Neil Young, Mike McCready, John5, Joe Satriani, Frederik Thordendal, Tom Merrello, John Frusciante, Billy Corgan, Steve Vai, Adam Jones - Theres loads.
Eddie Van Halen-Easily my largest influence, I love his playing style. He said in an interview that before he played like he currently does, he went through a period of imitation. Well, hes who I'm imitating you could say (or trying lol).

Jimi Hendrix-he was my first guitar hero, to this day I still love him. He and Slash got me into pentatonics.

Jimmy Page-although soon Rhoads will be more of an influence, my riffing and songwriting is very similar to his.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

WC Handy - father of the blues, created an art form that would spawn rock and roll.

Pete Townshend - turned concerts on their head, by introducing a new style of performance, other musicians would have to follow suit by showing incredible stage antics.

Bob Dylan - I think he is one of the best songwriters of all time. IMO it's hard to make a list of lyrically meaningful songs and not have Bob Dylan's name on it.
Eric Johnson

Buckethead

And of course the man who got me into playing the guitar, Jimi Hendrix
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ Last.fm █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █

"Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mistake."
~Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by dayvbayb at May 24, 2008,
Mikael Akerfeldt: No point listing reasons, they're all in Slay's post

Dave Swarbrick: probably the most awesome fiddler I've ever heard in my entire life. Listen to the album "Liege and Lief" by Fairport Convention and you'll know exactly what I mean. A pleasure to see live, full of energy and humour (especially considering his ill health), and never misses a single note. Anyone who writes an entire folk opera deserves a medal.

Jimi Hendrix: the reason I took up guitar. Has given me many an eargasm in the last few years (especially with Little Wing and Castles Made of Sand).
Tom Morello for his riffery and his campaigning.

Henry Rollins because the voice is also an instrument and for his intelligence and influence outside of music.

Teppei Teranishi for his multi-instrumentalism.

There are others - Dallas Green, Walter Schreifels, Frank Turner...I realise these might be obvious choices but they're honest choices.
Tchaikovsky- Incredible compositions; because I've played them in orchestra, my picking style and playing in general has been influenced by it (Trepak, The Little Russian, 1812 Overture, etc.)
Jimmy Page- First person who's style I really based my own on (fast pentatonics, and blues licks)
Steve Vai- Helped develop my scale use in soloing (moving away from JUST pentatonics).
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp

He made flutes and violins go hand in hand with blues. Best harmonisist ever.

Like Dylan if he'd kept playing folk, but funnier.

Best songwriter ever.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Quote by Slaytanic1993

Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth)

His guitar playing, his ability to write skullfuck riffing and yet somehow switch over to acoustic patterns, or even a extremely catchy chorus astounds me to this day. His singing, from bowel-moving growls, to ear piercing screams, and then again to his beautiful melodic voice, creates one of the most versatile musicians I've ever heard. He's not a complete wanker on the guitar, or in real life

Steve Vai

Eccentric, but still subtle and melodic licks combined with flawless technique have shaped my songwriting and musical tastes. He's the reason I picked up a guitar, actually.

This last one is extremely hard to choose. Muhammed Suiçmez, Paul Gilbert, Guthrie Govan, Vogg, Chuck Schuldiner, Andy Timmons, Jason Becker, Dave Mustaine, Dallas Green, Elliot Smith, Eric Johnson... there's just so many. But, overall, I'd have to go with:

John Haughm (Agalloch)

No band has shaped my music more than the almighty Agalloch. John Haughm is responsible for some the most beautiful, haunting music ever created by man. I'm not sure how the writing goes on in Agalloch, but the acoustic passages are both uplifting and crushing at the same time, with a very dark and moody feel, and the leads (I'm assuming Don Anderson plays them) are breathtaking. Not in a flashy manner, but in more of a Gilmour sort of way.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails)

The music he makes and the way he markets it is pure genius. He has progressed far with his music over the past two decades and it really shows.

Jade Puget (AFI)

No, he's not some uber 1337 shredder, but he's one of my favorite guitarists. He writes catchy riffs that go along with Davey's lyrics, and does amazing beats and synths in Blaqk Audio. Very underrated IMO.

Ronan Harris (VNV Nation)

^guy on the left
One of the best damn lyricists I've ever heard. He has a way of making the lyrics and music touch my soul in a way no other artist has.
Rush...enuff said

edit: first on page 2!
Member 3 of the FINAL FANTASY VII club.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Mikael Akerfeldt

The mastermind behind Opeth, who are responsible for getting me into not only extreme metal, but broadening my music horizons beyond just metal as well. He, along with John Haughm (see below), showed me how powerful acoustics can be within metal, and just in general. As such, he is directly influences all of my playing and songwriting.

John Haughm

Haughm has created with Agalloch some of the most beautiful and haunting music ever, as stated previously - hence my avatar. No other metal band fuses acoustics and cleans with distortion as well as they do, and the atmosphere created as a result is absolutely immense.

Jon Nodtveidt

Disregarding the fact that he was a homophobic asshole, the late Jon Nodtveidt's playing style in the melodic black metal band Dissection is something that will always be imprinted on my mind: the mixture of darkness, heaviness, and pure epic melody is something that can never be replicated, although many have tried (and failed).
shoot. uh... forget three! hell... i'll name a few more

Corey taylor (slipknot) - amazing voice, reasion i want to sing, and scream.
benjamin birkley (breaking benjamin) - again, friggen awsome voice, and best of all they dont scream their brains out on every song, the whole song (for the most part :P)

joey jordision (slipknot) - damn good drummer.
the rev. (avenged sevenfold) - damn good drummer too!

synyster gates (avenged...) - love his style of playing, insane but not afraid to play slow then just kick ass with 36th note sweeping on an acustic song.
zacky vengenece (same band as above) - again, amazing riffs, awsome when he switches form rythem to lead live.

keith urban (he's his own name's band) - amazing lyrics, and one of the few to play lead, and solo a decent solo in country. amazing.

i can't think of to many more but that's a hell of a lot more than three. but hell i play more than guitar and have to many influences to even want to try to narrow them down. sorry if it makes you angry for having to read a few more words than normal. haha peace

>>allan<<-->>somethingstarted<<

sorry if i destroyed any names, i suck at spelling and i dont want to look for the real way to spelling them.
curently composes with Guitar Pro 5. amazing peace of software. i'd recomend it. and Samplitude recording studio.

myspace.com/somethingstarted
Chester Bennington-Vocals are awesome and i used to always try to sing like him.
Wes Borland-Started playin cause of him
Kirk Hammnet-Fast solos and awesome playing got me into metal.
Tom Verlaine
D. Boon
Frank Black
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
I started playing guitar just because people in my family did, but guitarists that have inspired me the most throughout my learning are the ones I chose. Even if they weren't the best or the most technical musicians (IMO they're pretty awesome, though).

Kurt Cobain
John Frusciante
Jimi Hendrix

If I could pick more I'd put Jack White of the Whitestripes, his simple but awesome riffs rule, Tony Iommi because... well he's awesome, and Jimmy Paige cause Zeppelin would be nothing without his guitar riffs along with everything else.
Steve Vai- He got me into the scales outside of the pentatonics and orchestral guitar music.
Joe Perry- He was a main reason why I started playing. His riffs and licks were so freaking cool, it struck a chord in my heart.
Stevie Ray Vaughan- My biggest influence, because he made me play with more passion and fire than I had ever played before.

Long live SRV!
Peace, love, happiness, and rock n' roll.
(But mostly love.)
John Flansburgh and John Linnell - from TMBG - come as a pair great musicians

Hyde - from L'arc~En~Ciel - great vocalist and songwriter

Stephen Malkmus - from Pavement and various others - brilliant songwriter, ok guitarist.
Colin Meloy- The Decemberists

Fantastic lyricist, unique, beautiful voice, not the best guitarist ever, but one of the most creative songwriters I've ever heard.

Paul McCartney- The Beatles

Made music everyone can enjoy, was creative with both guitar and bass, more skilled than many give him credit for in that respect. Great tenor voice, and revolutionized pop music.

Jimi Hendrix

Not the best guitarist ever, no, not by a ****ing long shot. But he's right up there for best musician, writing gorgeous, soulful songs and changing the way we play the guitar.
Josh Homme
Trent Reznor
probs the guys in mastodon then
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!

John 5- Amazing guitarist

Trent Reznor- Super dooper musician

Maynard James Keenan- Nuf said.
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
My trinity:

Jack White: He plays and sings with such fury and attitude, you can't help but air guitar when he kicks in that Big Muff and Whammy pedal.

Rivers Cuomo: I can totally identify with Weezer's music. Being too nervous to talk to a girl you like, or feeling totally alone after a nasty breakup, or being too protective of your girlfriend for fear that other guys will take her from you, I've been through it all. Not to mention, he plays some awesome solos that aren't too shreddy or long.

Josh Homme: Whereas Rivers Cuomo is the guy I am, Josh Homme is the guy I want to be. He's got sex and sleaze practically dripping from him, and he plays songs that appeal to my creepy nature, like "Someone's In The Wolf" and "Battery Acid". And he makes that minor pentatonic WORK.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Page 1 of 2