So currently I have been playing on an MG50 (yes, I know), but I need to upgrade (I can sell the mg at my local store for 150, good price?). I mainly play in my bedroom, but I do the occasional jam with friends/school performances. I was looking at a tiny terror which sounds great. I like the portability, the simplicity, the low wattage, and great sound. Unfortunately I'd have to get a cab. Do you guys think I should go for it, or go for a much cheaper laney vc15 which many on UG praise highly. Or are there any other good options in the 15 watt range.

Also I want the amp to be reliable and of good quality.

play mainly hendrix, SRV through early thrash.
I highly recommend the TT, having upgraded from an MG myself. You could wait a little while for the tiny terror combo, which i believe is supposed to hit sometime this summer. I play basically the same music as you and the TT works for all of it, although for thrash I find the tone a little lacking, you may want to throw in a metal muff or something similar for that.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
I would probably get one if it had an effects loop...
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
i asked about it once (no one sells orange around me so i couldnt try it out) and was told it wouldnt really work for my kind of music (hendrix, SRV, bluesy stuff). however if you can try it out and you like it, then by all means go for it.
Quote by chea_man
i asked about it once (no one sells orange around me so i couldnt try it out) and was told it wouldnt really work for my kind of music (hendrix, SRV, bluesy stuff). however if you can try it out and you like it, then by all means go for it.

Who did u ask? cus they were less than truthful...
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
it was on UG. they said it was a little too modern.
when i found some clips on youtube, i found out that they were pretty much correct.
how is the laney vc 15 on the other hand? Does it compare in terms of quality and tone?
i love my tinyterror but i have been sorely tempted by a laney LC 15 at my local shop. lovely combo. great sound and no need to buy/carry a cab.
Thank you please.
Quote by deadlydunc
i love my tinyterror but i have been sorely tempted by a laney LC 15 at my local shop. lovely combo. great sound and no need to buy/carry a cab.

ive got an LC15r and have been sorely tempted by a Tiny Terror....swap!

LC15 is a good amp, would probably cover TS' styles and is the cheapest. Plug a strat into and you can nail the hendrix SRV thing, and it has a good amount of gain (great pushed with a bad monkey)
Can the Laney VC-15 do high gain when pushed with a tube screamer/bad monkey/metal muff type pedal?
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
ive got an LC15r and have been sorely tempted by a Tiny Terror....swap!

LC15 is a good amp, would probably cover TS' styles and is the cheapest. Plug a strat into and you can nail the hendrix SRV thing, and it has a good amount of gain (great pushed with a bad monkey)

sorry. i meant ASWELL as mt TT. GAS much?
Thank you please.
Right, the TT will nail classic rock...wind the power amp open, and keep the pre-amp at around 1 or 2 o'clock and you have one of the best classic tones on the market.

slash's_#1_fan...did you go to duff's signing at GuitarGuitar?
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
Quote by BCFC
Can the Laney VC-15 do high gain when pushed with a tube screamer/bad monkey/metal muff type pedal?

Look at the Laney Thread. It has an answer.

Just don't expect Mesa or 6505 tones from the VC, although a pedal or two could probably get somewhere near.

But the VC has a good rock tone.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
TT would do Hendrix and SRV with no problem. Throw a tubescreamer in front and crank the preamp gain and you can get a thrash tone too.

And, on a side note, the TT can most definitely do metal, unless you need an obscene amount of gain. I know it wasn't originally made for metal, but it can do it anyway.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
I'm not a fan of the TT. Sure it sounds great, but the lack of all the features which I find essential puts me right off, not to mention the price. I would spend a little more and find a cheaper boutique combo.
Quote by Simsimius
Look at the Laney Thread. It has an answer.

Just don't expect Mesa or 6505 tones from the VC, although a pedal or two could probably get somewhere near.

But the VC has a good rock tone.

The Laney thread said that it was poor for higher gain stuff, so does that mean I'm looking at a VC-30 with an attenuator or is that overkill and the VC-15 would still manage it, but just not as well as the VC-30?
There's a guy on Youtube who tests various different Orange amps, and he managed to get a pretty good metal tone out of a Tiny Terror when he cranked it. Think he might have had a Tubescreamer in front of it though. Tiny Terror would be goodfor what you want, even for thrash.
Anyone know if the TT/and or VC15 can switch 100V/120V to 220V/240V and vice versa?
dude get the TT I played one the other day and cranked it all the way up and it sings.....also very good for just a practice amp

I would recommend a avatar cab really cheap and great quality
^ i don't think so, but you can switch the wattage on the the Tiny Terror to 7 watts. And by the way, go for the TT, it's absolutely amazing.
-ash
Quote by JOn`
Right, the TT will nail classic rock...wind the power amp open, and keep the pre-amp at around 1 or 2 o'clock and you have one of the best classic tones on the market.

slash's_#1_fan...did you go to duff's signing at GuitarGuitar?

I most certainly did - its not "recent" anymore but i cant be bothered changing the thing above my avatar. He was awesome to meet.

deadlydun - i most certainly do not sure i would want to part with my LC15 to be honest, it is a great little amp. I have it hooked up to a 1x12 though as the 10" in the tiny enclose it is in sounds a little boxy to me and it really sings now! looking for an attenuator just to push it a little but tame the volume

to the TS - i have found that the laney thread is just VC mad so going there will just give you biased opinion, but they are great amps worth considering. I certainly think the LC15 is a great option, but if price isnt too much of an issue then the tiny terror and a good OD would sound fantastic. I havent played one, but check out blackheart amps, the impression i get from reading about them is that they could do what youre after. hope these ramblings help