28 36%
Medium
26 33%
Thick
5 6%
Extra Thick
4 5%
Voters: 78.
I was wondering what thickness you guys like to play a fast paced song. I've heard some people say they don't like thin necks (ie: Ibanez) because it makes their hand crap and some say necks that are too big (ie: Gibson) do the same thing. I just wanted to see some fellow UG'ers opinions.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
I like the Wizard-II profile - it's thin enough to not impede you, but it's not so thin that you have nothing to anchor. I'd call 'medium' an SG Standard neck, and I find them too thick.
I like BC rich necks, a lot, because the thickness is just right as well as the string spacing, which makes a huge difference as well.

All jacksons I've played (which I currently own one) the strings are too close for my liking, really. You have no real room to move around.
What would guys consider (brand wise) to be an 'thin', 'medium', and 'thick' neck?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
fender - thick gibson -medium Ibanez/ESP/Jackson - thin I like wizard necks and wizard II. They seem to have a clapton like "V" thin neck which is perfect for me.
If were talking about just pure shred, then the Ibanez Wizard necks and the BC Rich nrcks are nice. Thin flat necks work well for shredding, but I like rounder, medium-thick necks if I'm playing rythym.
The B-52 Bombers Group!
Own a B-52 amp? Join the club!

Quote by nashawa
He may be a troll, but he's an incredibly successful troll. So kudos on that.
ibanez necks are the way to go for shred. the wizard II neck feels perfect for me, not too thin, yet not too thick. just the right neck.
i dont really notice the difference in necks when i shred. i shred equaly well on my telecaster, my LP, my rickenbacker and my RR5. for me its all about having low action and light gauge strings. personal preferance i guess
MAIN GUITARS:
PRS Single Cut Trem
Ibanez PGM-301
Rickenbacker 650D
Jackson RR5
Taylor 12 String acoustic
Yamaha RBX 5string bass
MAIN AMP:
Hughes And Kettner Trilogy w/ 4x12 HnK cab
I don't mind any neck in particular as long as it's not extremely thin (Original Wizard) or extremely thick. My favourite neck would probably be the C profile on modern strats.
for just shredding, I'd go with a neck with something like a wizardII shape, but in most cases, I prefer a medium/thick neck. I can play relatively fast, and my hand is way more comfortable when playing both lead/rythm.
you know, its different for everyone... i like to think that if you have to battle with your guitar to make it sound good, it adds feel to the playing, i kinda shred, but i like to think its in my own way.

I dunno, i just cant help thinking that a perectly ergonomic guitar makes some people sound a bit sterile.

dont get me wrong, if its for you, its for you, and it works for some, but i tend to focus on tone, vibe, feel, and action, rather than thickness of neck, comfort etc, cos afterall, you always get used to what your playing.

but like i said, everyone is different and we all have our own way

peace

G
You get the best comfort and thus speed with the neck that is right for your hand and playing style. In my case, I can't play for **** on those Ibanez matchsticks. Also, the thicker the neck, the better it sounds.
my ibanez S-classic = lil too small
my ibanez SZ = perfect profile

25.1" scale, 12" radius... perfect feel... i dont shred tho
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
I like 'em real thin.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
a fender profile is what i would call medium, and its perfect for me, and im not talking the 50's models btw im talking American standard profile
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
ive always felt that usa std strat necks were pretty bulky by modern standards... schecters are known to have chunky necks, yet my schecter feels wafer thin compared to my roadhouse strat - but i tell you what, i can play waaaaaaaaaaaay more technically and precisely and faster on the strat than the schecter, maybe thats just my bag, ive been a strat man for life - its only recently ive aquired a taste for humbucker loaded geetars.

cant cope with super thin necks tho, just feels unnatural for some reason...

peace...

G
Quote by hippyheaven1
ive always felt that usa std strat necks were pretty bulky by modern standards...

Yep, and I really don't like that. Those neck are thin-medium IMO; and almost every guitar seems to have a neck like that. I'm looking for fat necks, and I'm hardly finding any.
Quote by mr_hankey
Yep, and I really don't like that. Those neck are thin-medium IMO; and almost every guitar seems to have a neck like that. I'm looking for fat necks, and I'm hardly finding any.

yes hankey, in the grand scheme of things, strats are deffo thin medium. but compared to the new generation of shred axes, they are fat. but yeah, most guitars copy that std strat neck profile, its a history thing i think...

i bought my first les paul last year (well, first gibson), its a studio with the fat 50s neck and its well good... you should try one hankey... i actually find certain things easier on it, but for non thumb over neck shredding, its harsh... but like i said, that battle between good and evil is in my opinion what inspires great music...

btw im pretty wrecked right now, so if im chatting bubbles, i appologise.

peace

G
My strat ('83 japanese) has the optimal neck for me, it's pretty much the same as my PRS Custom (wide-thin profile, as they call it). It's thin enough to be fast but you still feel like you're playing a guitar that you can rock out with as opposed to some wafer-thin shred toy that, if you closed your eyes, you would notice you even had it on you. An Ibanez would be nice for laying solos in a studio setting but it just doesn't cut it for a live show in my opinion, and not for playing entire songs on.

And yes, I'm picky.
Quote by hippyheaven1
i bought my first les paul last year (well, first gibson), its a studio with the fat 50s neck and its well good... you should try one hankey...

Yes, I've tried it. I like the neck, just not the rest of the guitar. I'm not really a Les Paul guy (although I do love the way they sound).