So I've been playing with my handy Spider 6 Line 3 for about a year I think, and I'm looking for something new. I've played guitar for about 4 years but I don't have much experience with any amps besides that one and a 'lil 12 watt one that came with the guitar, but now that I'm getting a band together and playing at gigs, I've quickly learned that I'm going to need something a bitter better than that... I'm into Metal for the most part, and for the parts of songs that don't require insane distortion I can always stick with the trusty little Line 6, unless I find something better. I have about 1K to spend on a new amp and/or effect pedals, I'm open for any recommendations. Thanks in advance, guys!
hmm i was gonna say a mesa boogie dual rectifier but its too expensive. do u want another combo or a halfstack?
Quote by OrangeMexi
So I've been playing with my handy Spider 6 Line 3 for about a year I think, and I'm looking for something new. I've played guitar for about 4 years but I don't have much experience with any amps besides that one and a 'lil 12 watt one that came with the guitar, but now that I'm getting a band together and playing at gigs, I've quickly learned that I'm going to need something a bitter better than that... I'm into Metal for the most part, and for the parts of songs that don't require insane distortion I can always stick with the trusty little Line 6, unless I find something better. I have about 1K to spend on a new amp and/or effect pedals, I'm open for any recommendations. Thanks in advance, guys!

Any recommendations? How about a price range?

EDIT: Didn't see the 1000.

Honestly, you should check things out yourself. If you have 1000 to spend on an amp you shouldn't be going to UG for advice. But with 1000, I'd get a Mesa.
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at May 22, 2008,
for playin live you need at least a half stack, or a jammin combo amp and a microphone to hook to a pa system. If you are interested in metallica and stuff like that go to the guitar stores and check out the mesa boogies, fenders are great for 50's and 60's stuff, voxx are cool for 60's british stuff like queen and the Beatles. the trusty marshalls are pretty versatile, just remember you can get almost any sound you want with a processor or pedals so the sky is the limit, especially with 1k to spend.

Take Opeth for istance, they play out of Laney's, I do not personally like the stock clean and distortion sounds but they use the Boss- gt3 and they sound amazing. Only thing you can do is go out and start tryin out some. I WOULD SERIOUSLY RECOMMEND ONLY USING THE SAME GUITAR THAT YOU HAVE WHEN TESTING NEW AMPS. and don't be afraid to crank them up, if you have the cash, they will accomodate u. good luck!

Quote by OrangeMexi
nice, i did not catch that the first time i looked!
Quote by cedaguol
spider 6 line 3 lol haven't heard of those...
Quote by wakekid2001
for playin live you need at least a half stack,

You can easily gig with a 1x12 amp if you need too...
I'd go for a Peavey Valveking, or a smaller Mesa. If you're wanting crazy distortion, a Mesa Dual Recto will do fine, but may be out of your range. If you still dig Line 6, they make a line on tube amps. Granted, it's only tube power section, but it'll still get you loud enough while still having all the modeling options Line 6 is known for.

Trust me, I've been running live sound long enough to be able to tell you that a half-stack isn't necessary if you're going tube. SS, maybe, but if you have a tube amp, a 2x12 combo will get you all you need.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by wakekid2001
for playin live you need at least a half stack

Incorrect, you don't need a halfstack. For 1k you can get a damn decent combo, Peavey 5150 leaps to mind for metal.
Btw TS, where are you from, because I'm pretty sure all of us here are going on the notion you are in the USA. A little heads up would be nice.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by MortifiedLizard
You can easily gig with a 1x12 amp if you need too...

The one I have is a 2X12, and its not so much the loudness as it is the quality of the distortion and effects, because we kinda cheat and run everything through 600 watt monitors aimed to the audience and use our amps as the "moniters."

I played a tube amp at guitar center the other day and it was pretty sweet, but I don't remember what it was called and when I went back to ask about it, it was gone. T.T Maybe that's the way to go?
Holy Sh1t, 1k? Get a Peavey Valveking stack.
I got some good guitars, yo.
Quote by Leat
Holy Sh1t, 1k? Get a Peavey Valveking stack.

Why get an average stack when he can get a top quality combo?
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Why get an average stack when he can get a top quality combo?

Is Peavy really a bad brand? At this point I'm just trying to see what brands to keep a lookout for on craigslist and guitar center and all that, you know?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at May 23, 2008,
I have found that smaller amps such as 2x12 combos sound good at lower levels but will be drowned out at higher levels as the bass bottoms out. If you are playing gyms or any thing bigger you will need something bigger than a combo, on the other hand if you are playing a coffee shop or something that holds under 50 people, a combo and below will do gine