I plan to add more complexity to my compositions. My style is a la satriani, but nowhere near as developed. I feel jazz will give me more of that rhythmic style, but then classical may teach me more about keeping a harmonius flow. So what is better for me?

Ideally id go to a flamenco school, but don't know of any in NYC.
well i guess this is a tuff one really, but many greats do say being classicaly trained shows the greatest improvement to playing. your choice go with what you feel you could be more motivated with
I say Classical since it will make you more familiar with more complex chords and scales...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Well should I take a guitar classical major. Or a classic music major, which is more theory heavy. Im thinking ill learn more with the handson guitar type of course. Im thinking of applying to mannes, the new school of music, or julliards if I can get a scholarship.
I'm a classical guitar major at the University of Central Oklahoma. Taking classical guitar is definitely a humbling experience but, it will make you a lot better very quickly. I can't say anything about jazz though, I may audition for the jazz band though to get the benefit of both styles.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
Quote by BladeSlinger
I say Classical since it will make you more familiar with more complex chords and scales...

More complex than jazz?

EDIT: Nevermind, that was pretty ignorant of me to say that. Bach has some pretty complicated stuff
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ
Last edited by TacoPaco9317 at May 22, 2008,
This is what has me confused. I am thinking the jazz may give me more rhythmical flow, and the classical will give me more harmony teaching more sounds. Im so lost as to what to do?
Quote by nyandres
This is what has me confused. I am thinking the jazz may give me more rhythmical flow, and the classical will give me more harmony teaching more sounds. Im so lost as to what to do?

i think you are looking at it a bit one dimensionally. whatever way you go it will probably turn you off wanky self indulgent instrumental rock guitar. Listen to Pat Metheny, Joe Pass, Django, barrios Mangore, Sor, Paco De lucia etc
well they both have very different theories on harmony, and most rock/pop sits somewhere between the two, you'll learn a lot either way but you should take the one you think you will use more.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
well classical will teach you xy and z and jazz will teach you ab and c

but if you learn them both, its like knowing 3 styles

you shouldnt limit yourself. you dont know what you dont know
Thing is the college is very expensive. Im gonna try to get a scholarship. Im gonna leave my web design job for music. Im gonna kill my career in web design for it. I am only 19. I think I should follow what I want now that I am young. I feel talented enough that ill have a chance in the bussiness.
Last edited by nyandres at May 23, 2008,
I would go with classical, but I don't know a ton about jazz. I wish I had the time/money to major in music... Either way you are going to learn quite a bit.

Good Luck on whichever you choose.
Which one will make me a more unique player. I like to improvise a lot too. Which one will improve my improv too. I would love to play with a little bit of flamenco style too, but cant find any school that teaches that. Im thinking of going towards jazz will give me less technique but more of an unique guitar voice.
Quote by TacoPaco9317
More complex than jazz?

EDIT: Nevermind, that was pretty ignorant of me to say that. Bach has some pretty complicated stuff

Classical came before Jazz if I'm not mistaken. Classical would offer more melody....

EDIT: If you want improv skills then definitely take Jazz....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by nyandres
Which one will make me a more unique player. I like to improvise a lot too. Which one will improve my improv too. I would love to play with a little bit of flamenco style too, but cant find any school that teaches that. Im thinking of going towards jazz will give me less technique but more of an unique guitar voice.

yeah it sounds like Jazz would be a better fit for you at this point.

Last.fm
for the record, i believe guitar solos grew out of jazz improv
id say the classical music major, as it will allow you to communicate your ideas with other musicians easier and if they tell you the notes of a chord im sure it will be easy to put it into guitar quicker than a classical guitar major will let you put a chord onto harp or something ....cant really explain but you get the idea.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by metallicafan616
id say the classical music major, as it will allow you to communicate your ideas with other musicians easier and if they tell you the notes of a chord im sure it will be easy to put it into guitar quicker than a classical guitar major will let you put a chord onto harp or something ....cant really explain but you get the idea.

You have to know all of the same basic theory in Jazz that you do in Classical, the big difference is how the two school approach harmony.

Last.fm
well, jazz lessons will help you out with jazz and classical lessons will help you out with classical.

choose your lessons based on that. do you want to be jazzy or classical?
Thank you please.
I'd say classical. I'm assuming if you're as good as you say you are that you can solo pretty damn well, so I would think classical would give you a better idea of what to use when writing.