So I'm with my first band ever, and i can't help but wonder somthing, even though I feel a bit stupid asking this... When you're practicing in a room, garage, etc, how on earth does anyone hear each other? The loudest one is the drummer, and I have to crank my amp up more than a bit to hear over him, and when it gets that loud, feedback becomes easily aroused, but then we also have another guitar, a bass, and two vocalists that can't hear themselves either... How do people do it practice without losing their hearing? or is there some other way to do it?
ear plugs?

LTD EX-351
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1960A
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
Well, usually we tell our drummer to shut up if he gets too loud, but we practice in a padded/spacious basement, so the acoustics are pretty nice and we can hear each other.
Quote by Pyrofretnic
Remember kids, solid state half stack=penis extension.

Quote by PatchworkMan
I have no idea when the world is going to end, and anyone who says he does is a cook.

Quote by smb
Those chefs can't be trusted.

"We're like...'Riding a dragon over fields of lava' epic!"
Get the drummer to use brushes or learn to play lighter. Practice is time to turn it all down, live is when you crank it to 11.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Pillows in the kick drum work wonders. But earplugs are a good idea...ideally you'd have in ear monitors connected to a monitor mix which would allow you to focus on your playing and seal away the drummer.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by deknisely
Well, usually we tell our drummer to shut up if he gets too loud, but we practice in a padded/spacious basement, so the acoustics are pretty nice and we can hear each other.

Is there some way to quiet him down? Like, at a church I used to go to, they had these sheets of fiberglass-looking stuff around the drummer... will that help our cause? Or what if we did something to the extent of surrounding him with some kinda padding like put up a wall of blankets or something?
Quote by OrangeMexi
Is there some way to quiet him down? Like, at a church I used to go to, they had these sheets of fiberglass-looking stuff around the drummer... will that help our cause? Or what if we did something to the extent of surrounding him with some kinda padding like put up a wall of blankets or something?

Blankets and such around him won't do too much. Putting a thin blanket on his toms would work well, shoving a sleeping bag in the kick drum dulls the sound but still allows it to punch. Duct tape on the snare and cymbals is ideal as well.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Quote by Sloopy
Blankets and such around him won't do too much. Putting a thin blanket on his toms would work well, shoving a sleeping bag in the kick drum dulls the sound but still allows it to punch. Duct tape on the snare and cymbals is ideal as well.

Awesome suggestions man, I really appreciate it!

One 'lil question though, how would ya duct tape the snare and symbols? just totally wrap 'em or is there some specific way to do it?
Quote by OrangeMexi
So I'm with my first band ever, and i can't help but wonder somthing, even though I feel a bit stupid asking this... When you're practicing in a room, garage, etc, how on earth does anyone hear each other? The loudest one is the drummer, and I have to crank my amp up more than a bit to hear over him, and when it gets that loud, feedback becomes easily aroused, but then we also have another guitar, a bass, and two vocalists that can't hear themselves either... How do people do it practice without losing their hearing? or is there some other way to do it?

Earplugs or good IEMs setup to a proper mixing system.

my cousin always has ear plugs in his guitar case for when he practices with his friends.
Also if a drummer is good enough they can play fairly quiet. Anyone can play loud...

Quote by OrangeMexi
Awesome suggestions man, I really appreciate it!

One 'lil question though, how would ya duct tape the snare and symbols? just totally wrap 'em or is there some specific way to do it?

not tape...use moongels. Tapes leave glue on the pads and such and are hard to get off.

A lot of tone comes out of the kick drum when properly padded, the less padding, the better IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh0uen47mKk

There are also pads that you can put on drums to keep the noise down at fair volumes.
Last edited by moody07747 at May 23, 2008,
Quote by orginally posted by moody07747
A lot of tone comes out of the kick drum when properly padded, the less padding, the better IMO.

I agree, but only when it's a good kick drum. On a nasty sounding drum, the more padding the better, IMO.

Anyway, you should really use earplugs for practice. Don't use anything stupid like cotton buds though. Get some attenuating plugs, which turn the sound down, without muffling high frequencies and such. Cheap plugs and cotton wool ruin the sound.
There is poetry in despair.