Couple questions on chords

Basically im curious to whether I should be learning how to switch certain chords(like 2 at a time) or should I learn a plethora of chords and then learn to switch them fast later. Ive been learning a to switch C and G for like 3 weeks. I can get it pretty fast now.

My second question is on speed. Ive heard many people say something like speed comes with accuracy and precision, which I belive is completely true. I was just looking for some exercises that improve speed( im already doing chromatics) because I have like a hour to do them, and im sure their are other speed improving exercises.
To answer your first part. I would learn a plethora of chords first. When I was starting out I thought the C-G-Am progession in Simple Man was insanely hard. I just kinda put it aside and came back to it after practicing for another a month or so and I could play it no problem.

As for speed... I'm still pretty slow so I can't answer that one. lol
Just keep practicing and you'll slowly get better. Appreciate every little accomplishment.
Don't worry about speed yet, in time.

Just learn 3 or so chords at a time, then practice switching between them making sure all your fingers fret at the same time.
I have problems with the C and G chords, I just got to them on justinguitar. (I have every other one he's taught memorized easily).

My fingers mute the strings on accident and I can't put enough pressure with my 3rd finger on the high e for the G chord.

Sorry I didn't feel like creating another thread :\
Yeah G and C from what I understand is difficult for begginers to switch with.

Practice like a hour every day on switching those for like a week and itll be fine.
How fast should you be able to switch chords? If I have a metrenome and I can switch at a tempo of 75, is this fine? How can I know Im switching chords fast enough?

About chords it does seem like a good idea to practice a good amount at once, I know like 4 now, so ill get to work on switching them.

Even though speed comes with time and practice, what are some good exercises to increase it?

Thanks for the help.
What I did is I looked up the chords to my favorite songs and then just played along. When you learn enough chord songs the switching just becomes second nature.

As for speed improvement, try this workout

http://www.911tabs.com/link/?1209386

i'd suggest staying with chords until you go on to individual notes though
^Practicing chord changes with songs you like would definitely make the process more enjoyable. But it doesn't hurt to do some finger exercises to improve your precision as well. Don't worry about speed, you would gradually get faster without you even realizing it. You could try doing chromatics, or scales(major,pentatonic for starters) to improve finger dexterity. Do it slow when your starting out. It's more important to get it right, then to get it fast.
Have fun!
Quote by nin3donian
Yeah G and C from what I understand is difficult for begginers to switch with.

Practice like a hour every day on switching those for like a week and itll be fine.
How fast should you be able to switch chords? If I have a metrenome and I can switch at a tempo of 75, is this fine? How can I know Im switching chords fast enough?

About chords it does seem like a good idea to practice a good amount at once, I know like 4 now, so ill get to work on switching them.

Even though speed comes with time and practice, what are some good exercises to increase it?

Thanks for the help.

Speed comes with accuracy and time - there aren't really any exercises that increase speed. It's not even worth worrying about at the moment, if you're still getting the hang of chord changes that needs to be your focus. Just concentrate on getting those right, the best thing to do is simply practice switching between random chords for a while then start learning a few songs that use open chords to get used to strumming in time and changing within a song.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
alright I guess I will take a break on speed then.

But how fast should you be able to switch chords?
Quote by nin3donian

Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by nin3donian

there really is no definite answer for this. as fast as the song requires...really.