As the title says, I am considering taking Music Theory next semester as an elective. I have little to no knowledge about theory, but have wanted to study it for a while to improve my knowledge around the fretboard. I would be able to directly relate the concepts to the guitar correct? Or would I be better off learning from a guitar instructor? Thanks for any responses.
it involves no playing at ALL. It is a difficult course but If you want to be a better player take it!
Quote by Demonikk
+1 on everything phip said

Main Gear
PRS SE Custom
Jay Turser Strat
Classic 30
Effects
Beheringer Distortion pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby
DigiTech Bad Monkey
Well I just realized it has 2 corequisite courses that have to be taken along with it (Aural Musicianship I, and Beginning Piano I) so forget that. I may still look into taking it at a junior college or a different campus though.
Quote by drive_heaven
instead of wasting time or money on a class you can learn it all right here in UG.

go to general music, and look for -----THE CRUSADE-------,
follow that series of information on theory and youll learn plenty. ileanring all the throey i need to know in little more than a week and it was much simplar than waht classes have tried to teach me. of course memorizing the fretboard and all havnet been my strong point so far.

It isn't really a waste of time or money because either way I need elective credits, but it will be harder than alternate elective classes I could choose. I can't learn this kind of stuff on paper, I need to be instructed
What do you want to learn? How to play the guitar or how to compose music?

I recommend taking the elective as it will help A LOT with the latter. Learning theory will definitely help you structure your songs and really play whats in your mind rather than what your fingers know. You can really be much more original in your compositions.

As for learning how to play the guitar, you can do that yourself with online tutorials and/or books. You can do that together with the course, if you want. They don't have to be exclusive.

So yeah, definitely take the course if you can. It'll help a lot (if you're willing to learn).
Member #5 of Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club.
Contact iamtehwalrus768 to join.
Quote by Skar
What do you want to learn? How to play the guitar or how to compose music?

I recommend taking the elective as it will help A LOT with the latter. Learning theory will definitely help you structure your songs and really play whats in your mind rather than what your fingers know. You can really be much more original in your compositions.

As for learning how to play the guitar, you can do that yourself with online tutorials and/or books. You can do that together with the course, if you want. They don't have to be exclusive.

So yeah, definitely take the course if you can. It'll help a lot (if you're willing to learn).

I want to learn the fretboard up and down, and to compose music. I know how to play guitar, technically speaking, but I am not all that knowledgeable about music. Thank you for your input.
Quote by JoshRocco
It isn't really a waste of time or money because either way I need elective credits, but it will be harder than alternate elective classes I could choose. I can't learn this kind of stuff on paper, I need to be instructed

Theory isn't hard. Its like any other class.

Just because its hard doesn't mean you shouldn't take it.
Yeah i'd definitely recommend taking it. While i'm only in high school i just took a theory course and am so glad I did because so much more stuff makes sense and music doesn't seem like some confusing fog to me now lol.
Great, I think I'm decided then, although I cannot take it at the school I go to. I'll try over summer probably at my local JC