Anyone else suffer from chronic depression? Mine is hereditary, and is hitting me pretty hard right now. What do you guys do to deal with it? And I choose not to take anti-depressants. So, discuss!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Same thing here, except mine developed over time. I usually talk to females over the phone, listen to music, write music, ect.

Depression sucks.
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
Quote by guylee
it's hereditary and you won't take your pills.

how the hell are we supposed to help you when you won't even help yourself?

This man speaks the truth.
Anti-depressants = Good
Quote by MV4824
"hereditary"... I call BS.

That could easily be the case if you know anything about depression.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
I was extremely depressed. then my magikarp evolved into a gyradose.
Gear:

Guitars:
ESP ltd FX-400
Epiphone les paul jr.

Amps:
Line 6 spider II combo 30 watt
Krank Rev. Jr. full stack tube.
Quote by guylee

Actually the pills make many people not feel like themselves. It is difficult to get people to take alot of psych medications because it changes something and that change makes people feel like a different person.
Last edited by tayroar at May 22, 2008,
Quote by Griever988
anti-depressents could just be a placebo

No they aren't a placebo. They actually work. Also, in our state at least it has become illegal for pharmacies to carry placebos so if they are sold here than they work. What they do is the balance out the chemical imbalance in your brain that makes you depressed. The problem with adolescents that you hear about them making some worse is that it can effect the younger mind differently as it is still developing.
Like tayroar said, Clinical or Chronic depression is a chemical imbalance in your brain, causing you from getting the most enjoyment from life. My mother AND grandmother both have it as well.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Quote by guylee
it's hereditary and you won't take your pills. how the hell are we supposed to help you when you won't even help yourself?
Pills don't fix it - they just give you a different set of problems.
Quote by DefectedFromGod
Same thing here, except mine developed over time. I usually talk to females over the phone, listen to music, write music, ect.

Depression sucks.

I do a lot of that except I text one of my chick friends since both of us get depressed relatively often. (Neither of us inherited it though.) I like to pour myself into some improv guitar/bass stuff. I just play and leave the world behind completely....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
i had depression and chose not to take any pills..trust me with time you shall get better....just try to be an optimist about things...live for the moment and your own self....do not be selfish offcourse but show yourself happiness with expiriences and confidence
kitten + weed=happy
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by Copius
You could get the anti-depresants w/ the perscription, then sell them...

Then mabye the money will make you happy. If the money doesn't make you happy, then use it to buy a new guitar/bass, which more then likely will make you happy.

I support this man's opinion....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Copius

Then mabye the money will make you happy. If the money doesn't make you happy, then use it to buy a new guitar/bass, which more then likely will make you happy.

Who the hell would buy anti-depressants? It's not like snorting a couple Prozacs will get you high.
Oh Shit!
Quote by Copius
Anti-depressants don't do a lot to people without mental health problems, and are very easy to get prescribed. There's no market for them.

Though they can make those of us with bipolar (and also schizophrenia I think) very high at least they do me
Quote by catchy phrase
Who the hell would buy anti-depressants? It's not like snorting a couple Prozacs will get you high.

Are you serious? There are problems with anti-depressant abuse in many high schools all over the world.....
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I'm not a materialistic person, objects don't make me happy. I also have an anxiety disorder, and SAD, so it gets pretty bad sometimes.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Quote by theacousticpunk
I'm not a materialistic person, objects don't make me happy. I also have an anxiety disorder, and SAD, so it gets pretty bad sometimes.

Well what does make you happy then? People, music, philosophy? Whatever it is, do more of it. Hopefully that'll help.
i get mild depression once and a while
what works for me is just talking to someone about whats going on in my life.
i can usually figure out what is causing it.
i like to do things outside when its nice out. gets my mind away from everything.
~ Purchase your tickets; I'm kicking your crosses down ~
Well, I really started this thread not as a way to get help, but just general discussion, like a Depression Sufferers' Anonymous or something.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Quote by tayroar
No they aren't a placebo. They actually work. Also, in our state at least it has become illegal for pharmacies to carry placebos so if they are sold here than they work. What they do is the balance out the chemical imbalance in your brain that makes you depressed. The problem with adolescents that you hear about them making some worse is that it can effect the younger mind differently as it is still developing.

you fail. in clinical tests placebos and the actual pills turned out to have the same efficacy, strange isnt it?

dont even get me started on the chemical imbalance propoganda....
dude, what about an actual solo in death metal instead of that poof from linkin park. Think of Pulse of the Maggots - Bed Of Razors

#1 MEMEBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB (PM URE FAV BANDS TO ME TO JOIN)
I was diagnosed with depression almost a year ago now, started talking to a counsellor who after a few sessions recommended anti-depressants and refered me to a doctor.Started on the pills in november of last year, and as far as making me feel better they really did work wonders, however I did notice that after awhile on them that I wasnt my usual self anymore.
So I decided to stop taking them and instead got counselling more often, and it was hard work but I got there in the end and my problems are pretty much over now, and I feel like im a much better, more understanding person for it.
Quote by guitarhero_764

Chuck Norris>Pokemon>Us>You>Your mom>diglett

Grundy 1 Cancer 0
Quote by guylee

+1. Voice of reason.
The only time I can eliminate all of my problems is when I am playing my guitar really loud and really hard.It is only temporary,but it feels good.
Yeah...For those who don't know,depresson isn't just being really crazy sad because something bad happened,it can just ruin the good things too. I spent part of prom night feeling depressed,and I had no reason. Most freshmen don't go to prom,I have an amazing girlfriend,and yet i was still depressed for the first hour or so.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
I play really angry stuff on my guitar, followed by something soft to cool me down, then take a ****load of sleeping pills and go to sleep. When I wake up, hopefully I forget what made me depressed.