ok well ive been tryin to write some songs over the past few months, but the lyrics are just a pain in the ass. i have the music all worked out(for the most part) but i cant begin to write any lyrics that i find good or even decent. i play guitar and sing, and for some of the riffs, its a serious bitch. i was just wondering about any advice any one might have for writing lyrics with out totally mimicking the guitar line. thx all
Quote by LesPaulHer0
"in the grand scheme of things, nobody cares"

Gear:
Dean 10K Commemorative Razorback
Ibanez RG 3EX1
BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Fender Acoustic
Marshall MG250DFX
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Full Chorus
I don't write lyrics much, usualy only the guitar part, but I have a way of writing songs. Usualy I write some guitar riffs, some melodies, mabe a solo. And then I play it. And I try to think up some story for the song. Example: I wrote some lonely blues riffs, and in my imagination, i saw a lone man, riding in a car on a highway to nowhere (clishe). And he saw a car accident and there were dead people. And in the chorus he screamed "why did this day happen to me". Well so I write the story down, and then pick parts of it, and add some poetic words and make the lyrics.

Basicaly, I cant write a song, without having the base story. You can think of a lot of stuff.

My english is not so good so I cant express my self enough... So I'm not sure if you understand me :-)

TEAR IT DOWN - new EP out now!
Czech death/deathcore/metalcore band
Visit our profile, listen to the new stuff and download for free, if you like it! - songs here!

Visit my youtube profile for some awesome solos - Kiwara's YT
well, id say its because you havent been writing lyrics for very long. like guitar, the more you do it, the more versitile you get.

how to start writing good songs in three easy steps:

1: write the lyrics first. this isnt completely necessary, but if youre new at it many people will have the problem you have where youre copying the exact guitar line. also, trying to fit it all in there is like blocking the lyrics between two barriers (the measures). try writing lyrics without any music in mind, and theres virtually no restrictions. you can always tweak the guitar part to accomadate it, its not as limiting.

2: dont be too organized. dont expect to sit down and write it from start to finish. over a period of a few days, have your idea and write down everything you can about it. then put it together once you have it all on paper.

3: write, write, write! the more you write, the better they'll get. at first, your songs will sound like crap. but keep writing songs. all the time. eventually theyll start sounding good. keep a notebook and every time you make up a verse put it in there. even if you have a song thats not good, you still earned experience from it. ive been writing for four years and i still dont keep 90% of the things i write, but i know i have written good songs and i can keep doing it if i keep working.

hope that helps!
Last edited by Soadfan8 at May 26, 2008,
write, write, write! the more you write, the better they'll get. at first, your songs will sound like crap. bu tkeep writing songs. all the time. eventually theyll start sounding good. keep a notebook and every time you make up a verse put it in there. even if you have a song thats not good, you still earned experience from it. ive been writing for four years and i still dont kwwp 90% of the things i write, but i know i have written good songs and i can keep doing it if i keep working.

This.