I'm considering one for my next 4 string. Sure I could drop the coin for a Gibson version but I feel that the Epi might be a wiser choice in case I don't like it (small chance). My question is do any of you guys own or have played one? I really like the looks of the bass and my gods Pete Way and Nikki Sixx use them. Are they worth the time and money? My fear is that Epiphone might be Gibson's Squire, and we all know how much Squires suck.
....try it out.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Nah, man. Epiphone is great. And less than half as much. And you relize you can return guitars, right?
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
I have the Epi Thunderbird. It's very neck heavy, but easily fixable. Don't buy it if you slap alot, cuz it's almost impossible. But it has a great sound, especially if you use a pick. I really like it, and for the money you can't go wrong
okay well the tone is muddy and sure i looks cool but they really need an amazing amp to get a good tone cause they cant do it by themselves. and why go for a epi when you can get the gibson. gibson is obviously that much better.

high end epi guitar about equal to low end gibson
high end squier guitar **** to low end fender

high end squier bass about equal (sometimes better in the vintage modifieds) to low fender
high end epi bass sucks so much ass compared to gibson bass of an terrible quality

in sum...dont get a thunderbird
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
Quote by black-sabbath
Nah, man. Epiphone is great. And less than half as much. And you relize you can return guitars, right?

Yeah, but brand new instruments are like brand new cars, once they leave the lot the vaule drops a damn lot.
I strongly advise against buying a thunderbird. Search for some other threads on them, you'll see why. There are too many reasons to fit in one post, that's for sure.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
What is there to be funny about?

Because I've seen you around and I cannot believe that you haven't seen ANY input on this bass. The dozens of threads... the dozens of SEARCHABLE threads... it's like asking "hey, guys, what happened on September 11th?"
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Because I've seen you around and I cannot believe that you haven't seen ANY input on this bass. The dozens of threads... the dozens of SEARCHABLE threads... it's like asking "hey, guys, what happened on September 11th?"

Yes but most of my day isn't spent searching on UG thread search engines, I've got things like a life and a job.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
Yes but most of my day isn't spent searching on UG thread search engines, I've got things like a life and a job.

So do I. I've also got things like respect and a brain.

It takes 2 seconds to search and 0 seconds to not be an asshole.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Sigh...it's not worth it, not the Gibson and especially not the Epi. Until they feel like changing the design enough to fix all that's wrong with it, the answer for this particular question that is asked so frequently is and will always be "no."

Quote by Pizza The Hut

Ooh, I bet you felt so witty after that.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Last edited by t3hrav3n at May 22, 2008,
Quote by Pizza The Hut

A half-retarded person who has been on this forum for 10 minutes can tell you what we think of Thunderbirds.
I played one at Guitar Center, and wasn't impressed. I prefer my squire any day. I like the look, but not the feel of it.

Important Notice: Never buy a Gibson bass, ever
~Insert Signature Here~
I play a Thunderbird an I can get great tone out of it. I would say go for it. It does have its disadvantages like the neck weight and the fret access but once I got comfortable with it I couldent go without. They grow on you. Plus theyre durable. Mine fell out of the gig bag once.(another disadvantage, they dont come with a case, and finding one that will fit it is near impossible unless you order it) Anyway it fell out and it still plays great. I dont care what the naysayers say I would say try before you buy because its not for everybody.
My main influence is Steve Harris, followed by Steve DiGiorgio
Check out my band Eyeshot at www.myspace.com/eyeshot1122
I play Bass and I'm damn proud of it.
Quote by Pizza The Hut

10 seconds out of your day and you can get this, yes if you order now...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2454940

39 threads on the Thunderbird!

Pick one--the sentiments are going to be rather similar in all of them.

ANd btw...read the forum rules. Search before you post is one of them...
Quote by thefitz

It takes 2 seconds to search and 0 seconds to not be an asshole.

AHAHA

Sig'd

I say try the T-Bird, if you like it that's fine, just know that we don't...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
It tends to be a bass that's chosen for looks, I always wanted one, until I played one (which has happened with other basses) then I had to admit that my mate was right, it's just a pretty block of wood. The problem is its mostly mahogany I believe, so the tone really is muddy, combined with the pickups especially...they are also infamous for their dodgy bridges tha can literally pop off, something hardware on a bass of that price really shouldnt do.

The neck dive is a well documented issue, like the SG guitar, these things just dive, unless you move the strap pins, but again, if your paying that much for a bass, you shouldnt have to mod it just to get it to balance.

finding a case or bag is also a problem, but I have that, I play a Mustang, lol

it is very difficult to slap on them also, the only decent Thunderbirds were the reverese ones, produced in the 60's, Krist Novoselic plays one in the Teen Spirit video. Sadly they stopped making them in about 65, becuase they were to close to the Fender Jazzmaster design I believe, and Gibson got sued basically. The closest you can get to that bass is probably the Fender Jaguar, another sexy bass, and a much better one, but it wasn't as good as I thought it would be...

Basically, the view on this forum is its a posers bass, and the fact is its very flawed, at the end of the day though, its your money, if you like it, buy it. A lot of people dont like it, then again, the past 3 bands who have played the same gig as my band, have had bassists who use them...but arrogant as it sounds, I was a better bassist than all of them, and didn't wear the silly clothes they did...adding weight to the poser theory perhaps
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Even if you ignore the neck dive, fret access and choice of pups, a fundametal flaw is that there is simply too much mahogany on it.

Mahogany is a warm wood on a guitar, and helps give Les Pauls their distinctive crunch.Too much of it on a bass and you can just get mud. This isn't helped at all by the positioning of the neck pickup (right against the neck, while most basses have it in a more mid position).

While they don't sound 'bad', they simply do not sound nearly as good as they should for a bass of their price. As said above, I feel that this is due to the image they have, and because they are able to play one without thier head imploding, they convince themselves that it is a good bass.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1