Hi all. I just tried to change the tubes in my Mesa Mark IV from EL34s back to 6l6s. I put in the new tubes, turned the amp on, and when I took it off standbye it makes this terrible humming noise through the speaker. So I switch back to the tubes I used before, but now the amp won't even turn on, not even the fan. One thing I did notice: one of the new tubes didn't have that central bit that all the pins surround, but instead it had what is best described as a nipple of sorts; do you guys think that made any difference? Somebody please tell me it's not dead.
Check the fuse?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Doesn't sound reassuring.

Post it to me, it may as well be bin fodder...

=]

On a serious note, no idea. Doesn't an amp need biasing for different types of tubes?

And it may well be just a fuse.
^No, Mark IVs have a fixed bias and can take EL34s in the outer two sockets, which is what I was doing before.
Definately change the fuse(s) before anything else. If that fails it could be an OT gone or something so then it would be best to take it to a tech.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Fixed bias is definitely a wrong choice of words that amp makers have used. Fixed bias actually means the bias can and does need to be adjusted.There are a lot of great articles on biasing out there. Take a look.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd