I hate doing this, but hopefully you all can help with some opinions.

I'm working on a trade in with a hybrid low end Marshall head and cab which means I have a budget of about $700 Canadian. A guy I used to take lessons from and have recently been recording with swears by Traynor amps. I've played Traynors minimally, so I'm looking for opinions from people with experience on the following models:

YCV 80

Tubes: 4 x 5881 and 3 x 12AX7A
2x12 configuration with Celestion 70/80

More info: http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=3&cat=63&id=170

YCV50BLUE

Tubes: 2 x EL34 and 3 x 12AX7A
Single 12 inch Celestion 30

More info: http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=3&cat=63&id=318

Those are two I've heard good things about. I'd be running an Epiphone Les Paul w/ Seymour Duncan pickups and a standard Fender tele through it as I mainly play hard rock, but just as often play blusier stuff as well as heavy stuff. Cleans are important, though not as much so as having a distortion flexible enough to go from light bluesy rock all the way to some really heavy tones. I don't need it to be giving me a death metal sound...I don't get that heavy, but I've also heard that running a decent overdrive pedal in front of either of these amps can really help boost it without altering the tone too much.

Any suggestions/thoughts/words of wisdom/death threats or proposals of various forms are welcome.

Thanks
Last edited by CT32 at May 22, 2008,
Do you mean the YCV50 Blue? I am sure you do. The 50 is a really great Marshall sounding amp. Much like a JCM800 with more of a vintage vibe to it. Nice cleans and can get pretty heavey with a nice OD. Don't have much experience with the 80, but it is more american voiced.

You might want to look at the YCS50. It has more options and can get heavier/ more modern sounding.
traynor's are all awesome amps
never played one i didn't like
I want Super Saiyan abilities
For us Canadians, a lot of us shy away from them due to how affordable they are, but don't be fooled. Traynor makes wonderful amps, and they're a way better deal than the Fender equivalent. Just remember, THE REASON TRAYNOR AMPS ARE SO CHEAP IS BECAUSE THEY'RE MANUFACTURED HERE!!!
Global warming at my homework, sir.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Do you mean the YCV50 Blue? I am sure you do. The 50 is a really great Marshall sounding amp. Much like a JCM800 with more of a vintage vibe to it. Nice cleans and can get pretty heavey with a nice OD. Don't have much experience with the 80, but it is more american voiced.

You might want to look at the YCS50. It has more options and can get heavier/ more modern sounding.

Yes, I most certainly did mean the 50. I was using the keypad; typo.

Thanks for the input all, I'm going in on Saturday and taking my own axes in to give them a thorough testing.

To be honest, (this is directed a bit more at Tele Echoes because of his touch on us in the North)...I've more stayed away from them in the (ignorant) belief that most of their tube stuff was geared towards cleaner classic rock and the really old school amps; nothing wrong with that, just not my thing.

Anyways, thanks to all.
Alright, so I played those today...I fell in love with the Blue. I took my Les Paul in with me to get a true feel for it and hot damn!

The distortion was so clean and tight...the cleans were immaculate. Luckily, I'm on a first name basis with the guys in the store, PLUS the guy I was dealing with today used to have this very amp. He said for some really heavy stuff he just ran a Tubescreamer in front of it and got a crushing tone.

Heading back Tuesday to pick it up.
What's the price diff between Canada and the US with Traynors. The Blue is like 700 american. What's it go for up there?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
The dollar is more or less equal right now; there's little difference. It's a bit cheaper because the store always knocks the list price down. Listed it's about 700 as well.
Ah, okay. So the value is there regardless. It's a 700 amp that plays like a 1k amp, that's the idea, right?

God I wish I had the money for a new amp and effects rig...stupid eminent offspring!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Not trying to hijack the thread or anything but does the YCV50 Blue, with an OD, have enough distortion for Opeth and Dream Theater? If so this is everything i've been looking for!
Schecter Blackjack
Mesa F-30
Line 6 Verbzilla
Bad Monkey
FAB Chorus
Last edited by jetsrule281 at May 24, 2008,
Quote by jetsrule281
Not trying to hijack the thread or anything but does the YCV50 Blue have enough distortion for Opeth and Dream Theater with an OD? If so this is everything i've been looking for!

If it truly is a Marshall clone, I'm gonna guess that with a decent OD, yeah. It's not like Opeth and DT have crushing distortion.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
^^In my half hour with the amp today, I wouldn't say it's got a huge amount of distortion. I'm not all that familiar with either Dream Theatre or Opeth, but from the bits of stuff of theirs I have heard, I'd say there are a few amps much better suited for their material...

It's not entirely a Marshall clone. It's got it's own tonal characteristics but it bears strong resemblance to an old school JCM800.
Quote by jetsrule281
Not trying to hijack the thread or anything but does the YCV50 Blue, with an OD, have enough distortion for Opeth and Dream Theater? If so this is everything i've been looking for!

Not really enough gain for that kind of stuff. Try looking for a Peavey VTM60 or Laney AOR Pro Tube head for cheap and get a nice 2x12 cab and you will have some really nice JCM800-ish amps with more gain for cheap.
Yeah, last night was a bit nuts so I have to recover for a few days before I can do that. My aim is to have clips by wednesday and pictures later tonight.

This is now my favourite amp.