These amps any good? I'm looking to get a better amp then my crappy MG30 and was wondering if these were any good? I mostly play blues, and some funky-rock.

Please help UG!
Quote by slidething31
Blues men don't wear band T shirts.
What's your budget? I have one and it's good for what you're playing, but a real fender tube amp would be even better.
Gear-
Cherry Epiphone SG Special
Vox AD30
Boss DS-1
well, what's your budget?
A tube combo may be better for you.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by biohazardist
These amps any good? I'm looking to get a better amp then my crappy MG30 and was wondering if these were any good? I mostly play blues, and some funky-rock.

Please help UG!

This amp will most definitely suit you.

This amp could get even heavy tones, but it's amazing with clean tones and less distortion as well. The effects are also great.
My budget will be around $400 Canadian.....
Quote by slidething31
I own an AD50VT and it's great for practice. Obviously it's not a tube amp, and won't get you tube amp tones, but it sounds nice.
Quote by hug a llama
You put parentheses in parentheses. I...I...I think I love you.

Quote by Vos
THANK YOU! You're my hero!
I used to own the AD30VT and I liked it while I had it.

Since I've owned my tube amp I would not go back to a digital or solid state amp.

If you have $400 Canadian, I suggest you check out the Blackheart Handsome Devil 15 watt tube combo.
Quote by saltysnail
You could get a blues custom or a blues junior at that price.

I believe the BJ is around $500 at my local music store....and it is the only place in town that carries them. Other then that, I'd be on it like flys on cow crap.
Quote by slidething31
Hi biohazardist,

I own a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT which I've had for about 2 years. It is a great practice amp no question about it, and it is also great if you want a lot of versatile tones to work with. You can also turn down the volume without sacrificing the tones much, which is another reason to like it as a practice amp. Given that, there are a few downsides to it:

1. It doesn't generate any single tone well. This is essentially the "jack-of-all-trades" trade-off. That's not to say that it can't generate truly beautiful tones (it can if you work at it), but for the same price I would suspect that you could get a tube amp that would sound a whole lot better at a few specific tones. The choice is basically between a range of good-to-moderate tones, and one or two excellent tones.

2.a. The built-in effects are OK, but aren't great. The reverb is decent, as is the delay and chorus. The tremolo is pretty good. The rotary sounds good at moderate gains and volumes, but quickly becomes too loud and obnoxious at higher gains. The flanger is a little too loud and suffers the same fate as the rotary, but still usable. The phaser is far too loud. The comp is nothing special. The auto-wah is fun but limited.

2.b. There is no effects-loop to bypass the preamp, so if you don't like the built-in effects you're kind of limited to distortion stomp-boxes to fix the problem. This is the most serious limitation in my opinion.

Another thing to consider is the AD30VT is very portable and fairly light, but if that's not an issue I'd highly recommend you fork out the extra $100 USD or so for the AD50VT model which has variable wattage settings (I have no experience with this model, however).

The tones of course will depend upon your guitar setup, whether you've got passive or active pickups etc. If a local store carries them, I'd recommend you bring your guitar and try 'em out before you buy them to see if they're what you want. You can also check out the sound clips at http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-30W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481959, but don't put too much weight on those clips since they could be using an entirely different setup than you are.

Good luck!