Anyone here have one ? Would this be a good pedal to get hendrix, gilmour, black keys sounds? i was also wondering how i would go about hooking up a regular pot in place of the trim pot( due to the kit coming with one thats too low a resistance). Also anyone here try out the tonebender? how's that compare to the fuzz face?
-caleb

edit:i ve already built a byoc delay and a weber 6m45p ( marshall 1987x)
Gear:
too much to list

Soldering iron:15 dollars
Amp kit: 500 dollars
solder: 5 dollars
Burning the crap outta your fingers: priceless
Last edited by mercinariesgtr at May 22, 2008,
The ESV Fuzz Face should do Hendrix and Gilmour, although a silicon FF might be a better choice depending on the tones you're after. I'll let the Gilmour experts chime in on that

The Tonebender is much gainier and thicker, all it really is is a Fuzz Face with an added gain stage. It has a bit of an emphasis in the upper mids as well. Listen to "Think About It" or "Smile on Me" by the Yardbirds, both done by Jimmy Page, that's the classic MKII Tonebender tone. It's capable of early Zeppelin tones as well, it tends to get useless though for anything past the first album unless it's modified.
the type of fuzz im looking for on the fuzz face is like red house type fuzz, a really nice warm wooly ( think that d be the right word) fuzz, im thinkin mayb i ll get the mkII also just cause i want to have something with a more crazy fuzz, plus i really like zepp
Gear:
too much to list

My Tonebender (when it was stock) did Red House decently, probably would have worked out better if I had a Strat. You can actually mod a MKII to switch between that and a Fuzz Face, you'd have to compensate a few cap values but it works out fairly well.

Oh and for the trimpot, just run wires from the location on the pcb to a regular pot. You could always just get a different value of a trimpot as well.
yah thats what i was wthinking but upon looking at the pcb the trip pot has 5 legs so... btw i do have a strat
Gear:
too much to list

Ah I just seen that, why they made 5 holes I don't know. You'll only be using 3 of them though, the trimpot in the pic only has 3 pins.
I've got the pre-ESV version of the BYOC Fuzz Face, and even though my setup isn't anywhere near Hendrix's, it's still a good fuzztone.

For Red House, you'd definitely want a germanium fuzz of some sort.

No reason not to go with the BYOC.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay