I just got new strings. No matter what fret / string I play, the thick E rings out after I stop the note I just played. I'm not touching the top string at all. What is causing this? Its not bad but extra noise when I would not want it.
sympathetic vibrations prolly. if you play a note, it will ring any other note that is in the harmonic series.

i.e. you play an A note, the open E string will ring since it is enharmonic to A
To compensate, mute the lower strings with your left or right hand as you play on the higher ones.

Its such a pain when you're first starting out but stick with it. Eventually, I'm told, you can be muting all strings and only un-muting the exact ones you want playing without even thinking about it.
i don't define myself by what silly groups i join.
Also, if that doesn't fix it, I'd adjust the bridge and check to make sure it can handle the guage you bought.
Quote by Metallist65
Also, if that doesn't fix it, I'd adjust the bridge and check to make sure it can handle the guage you bought.

I did get thicker strings. It looks like the thickest one barely fits in the little crack( I don't know the parts sorry :p )

Thanks guys
It's called resonance. You pick an A like 7th fret on D string and the A string rings like a harmonic.

IMO thicker strings resonate more. It isn't really much of a problem with the thinner strings. I'm sure the bottom strings resonate too but because they're so thin you'd barely hear them.

By the way, the 'crack' is called the nut.