I've been playing guitar for about a year now and I still have trouble with fretting guitar strings. I can fret it, its just that after i let go of the string, it makes that same sound that I just plucked sorta like tapping but not exactly.. I'm tryin to avoid that. Should I raise the string tension so its harder to make a extra sound?
I have an alternate suggestion. Learn triads. These chords are the same notes as bar chords, but don't require you to fret them. For example, let's look at an Fmajor chord.

Bar Chord:

E-1-
B-1-
G-2-
D-3-
A-3-
E-1-

Triad:

E-x-
B-x-
G-2-
D-3-
A-3-
E-1-

Notice that the triad doesn't require that you to fret the bottom two notes.
that, and use both hands to control the strings. palm muting is more than just a punk rock verse technique... it can be used to add layers of syncopation to your riffs. and don't forget to use the fingers on your fretting hand to dampen the strings you aren't playing. you can even use the very tip of your finger to mute the next string so it doesn't ring out accidentally.
Concentrate on palm-muting all the strings lower than the one you're fingering, so that you can instantly mute the string once you're done with it, this technique is also useful to prevent string buzz when you have distortion on (the more gain the more noise you risk getting). Plus it's easier to pick when you have to be precise.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Yeah ill try palm muting. I thought it could be done without using palm muting but i guess not.