well, i started playing acoustic guitar about 4 years ago, but kinda stopped until January where a bought a cheap acoustic-electric. And i am hooked, i cant get enough of it. but the more i play it, i realize that its still acoustic and i have trouble with faster stuff, and really want an electric.

Now with the memorial day sale, it would be ideal to get stuff now on sale.

so what is a good cheap guitar and amp? For the guitar, i would prefer to stay away from squier, and other less then quality brands. ive seen the deans, and played one some time ago, and i like it. I dont need anything too crazy, just something i can play with. I know several bands that are going through some tough times and about to break up, so i may see if i could join as a rhythm.

As for the amp, i would only need some cheap to practice, and i should be able to use someone else's amp at gigs.

As of now, i really dont know what my budget is, im trying to get a part time job over the summer to pay it off, or borrow money from the parents and pay them back when i can. So what would be some different options depending on my budget.

I posted this here and in guitar gear and accessories (i wasnt sure which section, they both seem like they could work)

I would play a lot from jazz to clean, and anything else (sorry thats vauge. haha. jazz is big tho)
Last edited by Skar578 at May 22, 2008,
First of all, Squier is hardly a low quality brand. There are many great Squiers and they are not too expensive. Second, Deans are not cheap, not at all.

As for amps, I'd reccomend a Roland Micro Cube Amp. It's $125 on Musiciansfriend.com. (Tho, I'd still try it out at a store.) Rolands are built like tanks and usually have several effects built in. The Micro Cube has a chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo, and separate delay/reverb. They also rarely break down. So, for you money, Rolands are a steal.
I got my Ibanez GRX20 for around 185 bucks and its great for the price.
well, for squier, i was referring to the cheap agathis and basswood ones.

and on guitarcenter, they have several deans for just over 100. they look nice, but id want to check with the experts.

ehh, i gorgot to mention about the amp.

as for the amp, i wouldnt need anything that has many built in effects.id rather have pedals, so i can use them on big amps id use for gigs. the amp i get would be for jimple practice at home, i woulnt need a tank.
NEVER liked Strats... always was an LP kinda guy. Decided I wanted something totally different for a change so I went and tried out the MIM Strats, Squiers, etc at the GC here in town. Was all set to get a Squier (Vintage White) but since I had an Agile LP and love it I decided to try a SX SST57 from Rondo. WOW! Sure glad I went with the SX - it's simply put - a great Ax for the little money I paid.

Here's my NEW SX SST57 - 1 word - EXCELLENT. Plays great. I'm in love... Never owned single coils before and I'm having to relearn amp settings, etc. Not what I'd call POWDER BLUE (as Rondo calls it) but more AQUA (swimming pool Aqua). Love the look and the vintage high gloss neck is just what this old LP man needed to get a different "feel" AND SOUND TOO. The neck alone is worth the price. The Strats and the Squiers I tried out couldn't hold a candle to it. Stretched the strings good - tuned "her" up about 3 or 4 times in the first 5 minutes then she held tune fine. Stays in tune for days just like my Agile, and I bend like a fool. I tried out the Whammy Bar but took it off again as I really never use them and they do screw up the tuning anyways. The tuners are fine - the frets were very nice - almost felt "filed" - no sharp ends, etc - the neck is smooth as glass and fast as greased snot - no buzzing - no setup needed really...

BEST $99 Guitar I have ever seen. My Agile was the best $199 Guitar I ever saw too. This RONDO stuff is amazing for the $$$$.

Played for about 2 hours last night and held tune the whole time - no mods for me - it's a KEEPER just like it is.

For a guy who didn't like Strats I can't put this baby down. If you're looking for a Strat copy - try an SX SST57 - the Vintage colors, the Vintage High-Gloss neck, the VERY FENDERISH single coil pickups are all GREAT! I'm already looking at the STL50 "Tele" in Vintage White or Butterscotch Blond. These are a NO-BRAINER for the money. I figured I'd have to change the nut, possibly the tuners and possibly the pick-ups too - NADA - It's probably going to stay stock as it's a great Ax just like it is.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
I've heard the Epiphone Les Paul Special II actually isn't a bad guitar for only $170. Another option would be the well respected G-310. Believe that's around $250.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
i think im leaning towards single coils, so i can pop in a lace light blue eventually, to boost the jazziness. also, thats more of what i used, compared to hum's.

how is the squier affinity? its alder, either maple or rosewood fretboard, and 150 at guitar center.
First of all, Squier is hardly a low quality brand. There are many great Squiers and they are not too expensive. Second, Deans are not cheap, not at all.

As for amps, I'd reccomend a Roland Micro Cube or a Roland Cube 20X. The Micro Cube is $125 and the Roland Cube 20X is $159 on Musiciansfriend.com. (Tho, I'd still try em out at a store to check out the sound.) Rolands are built like tanks and usually have several effects built in. Also, they rarely break down. (I had a Peavey Rage 158, which broke down every few months. I often repaired it myself cuz I wanted to save money. But my Roland So, for your money, Rolands are a steal.
The Micro Cube is a very loud amp for 2watts. (Loud enough to make your ears bleed in the basement of your house. The volume knob is also extremely sensitive.) It has a chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo, and separate delay/reverb. It has a few different types of distortion (or, as the manufacturer calls it, 7 COSM amp models). I'd try it out to figure out the sound of each one. Small but an awesome amp.
The Cube 20X has the same stuff as the the Micro Cube. But it's 20Watts. So, it's even louder and the volume knob is even more sensitive. A mid sized amp that is also wicked awesome.
I'll second the guy who said SX. Nothing I've seen makes me think it's a bad decision, and if it's that cheap, it's not a huge loss if you end up not liking it. It appears to be an excellent-quality brand for the price.

http://www.rondomusic.com <----That's the site, look around, see what you like.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Well, I've heard some bad stuff about Licensed Floyd Roses in the past, I'd be wary about that. Otherwise, it all seems okay.

See what the other posters think about that Licensed Floyd, though.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
hmm,shipped it costs only a little less then the squier affinity. as for the licensed floyd rose, it does make me worry a bit. i also like the strat knock offs.