So, if anybody remembers a couple of my posts on me having anxiety, I think I've pinpointed it, it's obsessive thoughts. I've neglected to get help because well, I hate opening to people I don't know and I always think they're going to judge me, but I know I need professional help to get through this, so I will seek it soon. Anyway, I want this thread for people to give other people ideas on how to get over obsessive thoughts and some support. This is for anybody who has ever had to go through or is currently going through the horrible experience of obsessive thoughts. What really comforts me at the moment, is to remember that what you're thinking is completely detached from you, it's just a thought that you can't get rid of. So say you're thinking of hurting somebody you love and it won't go away, it's not really you, just the thought and the reason you're getting that thought is because it disturbs and disgusts you so much. Anyway, discuss and share stories.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
cognitive therapy is a good choice for help if you are looking for it
dude, what about an actual solo in death metal instead of that poof from linkin park. Think of Pulse of the Maggots - Bed Of Razors

#1 MEMEBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB (PM URE FAV BANDS TO ME TO JOIN)
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, I'm going to try to get in a group setting. I would probably feel more comfortable that way. I'm doing a ton of research on it now and I know I need help, I don't think I can get over this on my own. It's really starting to take over my life a little.
Quote by StreetLight3989
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, I'm going to try to get in a group setting. I would probably feel more comfortable that way. I'm doing a ton of research on it now and I know I need help, I don't think I can get over this on my own. It's really starting to take over my life a little.

ya CT (cognitive therapy for short ;-) ) looks at the thoughts and behaviors and gives you techniques on how to deal with it. it should be good help!
dude, what about an actual solo in death metal instead of that poof from linkin park. Think of Pulse of the Maggots - Bed Of Razors

#1 MEMEBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB (PM URE FAV BANDS TO ME TO JOIN)
Yeah, hopefully, I need to get over these thoughts and move on with my life. Anyway, anybody have any effective methods on getting past the thoughts in the mean time?
Quote by StreetLight3989
Yeah, hopefully, I need to get over these thoughts and move on with my life. Anyway, anybody have any effective methods on getting past the thoughts in the mean time?

Yeah, ignore them. Try to distract yourself or focus on other more positive things.
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

Quote by preludetowar
Yeah, ignore them. Try to distract yourself or focus on other more positive things.

That's the thing, I try to, it doesn't work. It's just the way my mind works, it won't stop thinking about the thought. I try to think positive, but I can't turn it off. That's why it's a problem, you can't ignore the thoughts when you get them.
i need to get over this girl,but there are no other girls to help me get over her. i constantly think about her and it's already been a year X_X too many what if questions
It's hard for me to type this because I don't like talking about this shit
you don't ignore the thoughts you face them. Then you will realise how fu/i]cking stupid they are
Quote by StreetLight3989
That's the thing, I try to, it doesn't work. It's just the way my mind works, it won't stop thinking about the thought. I try to think positive, but I can't turn it off. That's why it's a problem, you can't ignore the thoughts when you get them.

I really believe that you have more control over your thoughts than you think you do.
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

Quote by preludetowar
I really believe that you have more control over your thoughts than you think you do.

I probably do, but a lot of people need help with this. I mean it seems easy, especially if you don't have the disorder, but if you were to get it you would understand how you can lose control of your thoughts. I'm not calling you insensitive or anything, that's just how I see it. The normal brain thinks the thought, says that's crazy and throws it away, people with obsessive thoughts can't throw the thought away.
DISCLAIMER: Before I get my ass flamed off, I wanna say that I DON'T think the TS should try my method of dealing with anxiety and I think he should get professional help.

Now...

I used to have obsessive thoughts and over analyzing issues. I would worry about things to a point where they would make me sick. I used to bite the inside of my lips until they were raw because I would get nervous while worrying about something.

Then, I started smoking cannabis and the problem vanished. I'm relaxed pretty much 24/7. I don't have to smoke every day either. I can go months without it and not have an anxiety problems. I went three months last summer without it though and my anxiety started coming back. Not fully, but I could feel it creeping over me.

My mom has to take Xanax every day to hold her anxiety at bay. Some may say that smoking cannabis to deal with it is unhealthy, but I'd rather smoke every now and then than have to take a pill or two every day.

If you're an anti-drug trooper, see my disclaimer before flaming.

EDIT: I know what you mean about obsessive thoughts, TS. Last summer I had a thought about my dad dying a gruesome death at my hands, and I kept trying to get it out but I couldn't. It had infiltrated my mind. It was horrible. I would never hurt my dad, I love him, but I couldn't get it to go away for anything.

I think that if you have things like this happening to you constantly, you should get help.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Last edited by dudetheman at May 22, 2008,
Quote by StreetLight3989

i have some methods (id probably have to talk to you privately), but you should know that dealing with it won't be an instant thing, and it may take a llittle time to get over it, but if you work through it, some progress usually shows

Quote by dudetheman
DISCLAIMER: Before I get my ass flamed off, I wanna say that I DON'T think the TS should try my method of dealing with anxiety and I think he should get professional help.

Now...

I used to have obsessive thoughts and over analyzing issues. I would worry about things to a point where they would make me sick. I used to bite the inside of my lips until they were raw because I would get nervous while worrying about something.

Then, I started smoking cannabis and the problem vanished. I'm relaxed pretty much 24/7. I don't have to smoke every day either. I can go months without it and not have an anxiety problems. I went three months last summer without it though and my anxiety started coming back. Not fully, but I could feel it creeping over me.

My mom has to take Xanax every day to hold her anxiety at bay. Some may say that smoking cannabis to deal with it is unhealthy, but I'd rather smoke every now and then than have to take a pill or two every day.

If you're an anti-drug trooper, see my disclaimer before flaming.

EDIT: I know what you mean about obsessive thoughts, TS. Last summer I had a thought about my dad dying a gruesome death at my hands, and I kept trying to get it out but I couldn't. It had infiltrated my mind. It was horrible. I would never hurt my dad, I love him, but I couldn't get it to go away for anything.

I think that if you have things like this happening to you constantly, you should get help.

Yeah, I have the same kind of thing, apparently it's a common kind of thought for people with obsessive thoughts, I'll definitely seek help, I don't want to live in anxiety anymore.
I had OCD too when I was in third grade, and all I can say is to stop OVER ANALYZING those thoughts. I know it's really,really tough but once you tried it and it worked, it's a great step for extinguishing the disorder.

For example, tell yourself "My mind is telling me that I will hurt all of my loved ones, but I know it is just my mind, and it's not me. My mind is just playing games, and the more I analyze on how to make those thought go away, the more they will intensify".

I really hope you'll be okay, mate. I'm sure you will.
Quote by TheClincher
I give you the lolslope
---
--------
--------------
---------------------

Quote by Trowzaa

I love you.

I'm not sure if the TS means "OCD", a term thrown around way too much; but I understand.