Poll: What should I major in?
Poll Options
View poll results: What should I major in?
Electrical Engineering
96 49%
English
101 51%
Voters: 197.
Page 1 of 3
So what should I major in, Electrical Engineering or English. I'm a good writer but I'm also good at physics. I enjoy writing more than physics, however.
Shiny metallic purple armor.
Isn't this like...the second career choice thread we've had in 30 min? UG IS NOT A CAREER MENTOR!
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
The superior man works with his mind, not with his hands. Well, you still will but

Be a writer.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Just a little extra info, if I do major in English I don't wanna be a novel writer. Too risky, too poor.
Shiny metallic purple armor.
First of all, let me say it's great you're letting The Pit decide your future.
And for jobs, all I ever hear as a 14 year old from adults, is you have to love your job or else it will suck. Do what you like best
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by StrokeMidnight
Isn't this like...the second career choice thread we've had in 30 min? UG IS NOT A CAREER MENTOR!

Liar! UG is a Dr. and a career councilor.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
do whatever you enjoy most. dont do something for the money...thats a job. do what you love...thats a career.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
"do what you love and you never work a day in your life" according to my grandfather who went to jail for being Nixon's attorney
exaclty what the **** are you going to do if you focus on English?

Poetry ----------> not a job
Books ----------> not a job
writing anything else ---------------> not a job

>=[
͏͏͏
۩۩۩۩۩۩۩Ƒyre Ðeity۩۩۩۩۩۩۩

Quote by Here_is_no_why

"Hey Mike, did your mom have a C section when she gave birth to you? Because I wanna make sure she's tight before I bang her."
If you like English more, then go for it. Doing what you love is far more important than making a lot of money right away.
Quote by Fyre Deity
exaclty what the **** are you going to do if you focus on English?

Poetry ----------> not a job
Books ----------> not a job
writing anything else ---------------> not a job

>=[

english teacher------> job.
journalist--------------> job.
editor/publisher------> job.

lots jobs with english, your just not thinking hard enough.
Peddling your ass on the street > English > Electrical Engineering > Math.
Quote by Vermintide
I love getting hit in the balls.

Sometimes, I masturbate while imagining my girlfriend is ramming her knee up into my precious orbs. It turns me on so much.

Actually, that's not true. I don't have a girlfriend
i'm going to u of Iowa for Electrical engineering next year! join me or else
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
Quote by mr.joopy987
If you like English more, then go for it. Doing what you love is far more important than making a lot of money right away.

Hmm... Struggling writer, or crack dealer...

Really? That's the most bull**** life-advice that everyone says......
͏͏͏
۩۩۩۩۩۩۩Ƒyre Ðeity۩۩۩۩۩۩۩

Quote by Here_is_no_why

"Hey Mike, did your mom have a C section when she gave birth to you? Because I wanna make sure she's tight before I bang her."
Do what you enjoy most.
if you really want to make money, go into journalism or even better you can become a copywriter for an advertising agency (which is what ill probably end up doing )
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
i'm doing english lit at uni starting in september
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Join the army, you get to go to college free and get tons of benefits, and dont even have to be in the front lines.
I'm studying for my B of ed but my concentration is english and if your smart enough for Electrical Engineering I would say go for that with Engineering Physics as your backup plan. But having never been smart enough for any kind of engineering I don't know how good my advice is...
WHAT? YEAH OK
my sister was an english major. now shes a very successful...

...waitress....

...seriously.
I have no opinion on this matter.
What a wise choice it is to put your life's course in the hands of The Pit.
tumblr | twitter | instagram
Quote by Rossenrot
Aig91 Atomizes Rossenrot Before Offering Mercy In Exchange For Wholesale Genuflection
Do what makes you happiest.
Quote by SmElLy KiD
That is priceless man, you might be my new idol.

TS, whenever I see your username, I misread it as "isuckhardcocks."

Just had to get that out there.

We're ticking away, the moments that make up the dull days
Quote by black-sabbath
First of all, let me say it's great you're letting The Pit decide your future.
And for jobs, all I ever hear as a 14 year old from adults, is you have to love your job or else it will suck. Do what you like best

That's true, do what makes you happy, but you need to make sure that you're making money, have good health care, etc. too.
I picked electircal engineering

oh and btw don't ask advice from the pit it will get you nowhere fast
"Well you said I might get laid more if I didn't play pokemon... but I decided getting laid more isn't worth not catching them all."

E-married to the Super Fantastical simply_me(:
i would think there would be more money in engineering than english
Originally Posted by LadyHellraiser
I have to say, if she posts a picture of herself nude in a bathtub on myspace for the whole world to see, she probably has some VD.
engineering just sounds cooler.
when i think of an english major i think of some grumpy old man in an argyle sweater sitting at a desk surrounded by books.
and that's no fun.
Quote by Smokey Amp
You're = You Are (Dialectal abbreviation)
Your = Your (Possessive)

Learn the difference, biatch.

yes! i hate when people get that wrong.
Personally, I'd choose electrical engineering. But seriously, choose what you enjoy most. Or find some sort of career that combines the two (good luck)

Good luck in figuring out your life
Official Member of the 'Fly your australian flag high club' for the really patriotic Australians: P.M Dire straits to join
Electrical engineering - that's a garaunteed career. You may not like/succeed at english, which you can still do in your spare time. However, if you choose english, you have crossed off one of your options - whereas with EE, it's still possible to do both. If you do succeed in writing, then you can always give it up later.

EDIT:

Quote by ForNow..WeToast
engineering just sounds cooler.
when i think of an english major i think of some grumpy old man in an argyle sweater sitting at a desk surrounded by books.
and that's no fun.

It is NOT cooler. Not from a laymans perspectives. We're all nerds, who point at women and ask in hushed whispers "What's that?" Even the girls doing engineering do it.
Pimp.

Wait...
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
English. If it's something you enjoy more, go for it. There are plenty of job opportunities to go with an English degree and it's somewhat flexible in terms of what type of career you can go for.
But I'm a bit biased, I love English.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
There is more of a demand for electrical engineers than people with English degrees. There are so many jobs that can be done like designing circuits, repairing telecommunication lines, repairing domestic appliances for a hefty fee etc. And then there's English; you can teach (which is kinda in demand), become a journalist (but it could take a while for a vacancy to become available), or a freelance writer (no chance of a sustainable income).

My Website

Sometimes I make people spurt:
Quote by nimrod_hahahaha
sigged for making me spurt guiness on my laptop...damn you!

Quote by imdeth

Jimmy that was pure awesomeness. WIN!
Quote by jimmyjimbo72
There is more of a demand for electrical engineers than people with English degrees. There are so many jobs that can be done like designing circuits, repairing telecommunication lines, repairing domestic appliances for a hefty fee etc. And then there's English; you can teach (which is kinda in demand), become a journalist (but it could take a while for a vacancy to become available), or a freelance writer (no chance of a sustainable income).

Mate, I don't think you have an idea of what an electrical engineer does. They DESIGN circuits. ELECTRICIANS repair and mantain them.
Engineering PAYS THE BILLS. There really is no reason that you can't hammer out a few pages at a time as a hobby, right?
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
Quote by LordBishek

It is NOT cooler. Not from a laymans perspectives. We're all nerds, who point at women and ask in hushed whispers "What's that?" Even the girls doing engineering do it.

+1

There's like 10 girls in my entire faculty :[
<Omri> I love trannys too..
Quote by Hells_Bell
+1

There's like 10 girls in my entire faculty :[

Same here. And they're all bigger than us and have thicker beards and moustaches.

Seriously, next to them, we look like a bunch of underfed, perpetually terrified puppies next to the WWE people.
Page 1 of 3