mmmk so heres the deal. I chose to learn trumpet in school, well..i couldn't afford a $3000 saxophone so i settled for a $1200 trumpet. I've played avidly and I easily outplay the other students, but i still have a desire to learn sax. I wouldn't play it in school, i plan on continuing trumpet, but after a couple years of practice, I could be able to play in Jazz ensemble, which I would love!

So, what I'm asking is...I've been looking on ebay for a cheap sax I could buy to practice on, and I see a ton for around $500. This is completely do-able for me but i am weary about purchasing one over the internet. Would I get ripped off or what? It seems like too good of a deal..but then again, it is ebay. In conclusion, does anyone have any experience purchasing an instrument online? Or, is there a legit website where i could get an affordable sax?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Shouldn't Saied sell saxes? I'm pretty sure that's where my school got mine....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Depends. Soprano? Alto? Tenor? Baritone.

This might be a deal

I love Yamaha Saxophones
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
uh have no idea, but one thing i HAVE to do before i die is learn to play sax, its awesome =D

if i were you, go for the best loonking vs. cheapest you can find
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
$500 for a used one is probably the least you should go for, anything cheaper is likely to have problems, personally I would rent one to start out if I where you.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by JeanMi36
Depends. Soprano? Alto? Tenor? Baritone.

This might be a deal

I love Yamaha Saxophones

I would assume he meant Alto of Tenor......I play Alto but Tenors sound so sexy....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by archerkoala
mmmk so heres the deal. I chose to learn trumpet in school, well..i couldn't afford a $3000 saxophone so i settled for a $1200 trumpet. I've played avidly and I easily outplay the other students, but i still have a desire to learn sax. I wouldn't play it in school, i plan on continuing trumpet, but after a couple years of practice, I could be able to play in Jazz ensemble, which I would love!

So, what I'm asking is...I've been looking on ebay for a cheap sax I could buy to practice on, and I see a ton for around $500. This is completely do-able for me but i am weary about purchasing one over the internet. Would I get ripped off or what? It seems like too good of a deal..but then again, it is ebay. In conclusion, does anyone have any experience purchasing an instrument online? Or, is there a legit website where i could get an affordable sax?

Music companies routinely screw schools (and students) on instrument pricing (as well as music and consumable pricing), leading to the price disparity you've noticed between new (through the school) and used. $500 should get you a decent used sax, like a Yamaha or something. As long as it's a reputable brand, you shouldn't be worried.
I worked at Colonial Music and a Blessing alto sax (The cheapest good, acceptable brand you can buy) can be bought brand new for $600 dollars. $3000 is a [cheaper] professional sax and theres no need to buy one of those yet. just dont get any walmart brands.
Quote by nintendocly
I worked at Colonial Music and a Blessing alto sax (The cheapest good, acceptable brand you can buy) can be bought brand new for $600 dollars. $3000 is a [cheaper] professional sax and theres no need to buy one of those yet. just dont get any walmart brands.

Yeah those Blessings are pretty decent. I have a wal-mart sax somewhere, it has horrible intonation and leaks a lot, great for industrial music actually, but not much else, had to replace all of the needle springs after like 3 months though.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by archerkoala

Wow, what a coincidence.

Everyone in my family has tried the sax we bought for me for jazz and put it back in distaste, so we're selling it so I can buy myself a better flute.