I know the minor pentatonic scale by heart, including a few other scales/modes... yet i just cant seem to improvise very well! Nor do i know how to go about practising improvisation....
Can anyone give me any ideas, what to do?

I've tried playing along to music, solo over it.... but i get lost very quickly, become repetative and lose melody.... i just end up playing a huge mess!
I have a problem with that too. I feel like such a noob because all I can play is other peoples' work and can't even make my own material. I've tried before, but like you said, it turned into a mess. So what I guess I'm trying to say is, I feel your pain.
Member of the Thrash Brotherhood

Quote by valennic

You sir are a genious.

Quote by notsojoeyb4eva

Winnah right here.
what you should do, at least what i do, is learn a bunch of licks that you think sound cool, and throw them all together using little hammer-on pull-off bits and mix it up with some flashy junk to make it look/sound cooler. sweep picking, tapping, any of that. yknow? and when it comes to playing over something, just find what key its in and play your solo in that key. thats what i do and i think it sounds fine.
Quote by humperdunk

So I just woke up sitting in my desk chair, with my bong on the desk in a bunch of little pieces and my hand super glued to my penis. Speculations as to what the hell just happened and how to unglue my hand from my member would be appreciated.
just relax. don't worry about getting better. don't worry and think that you're not good. don't think in scales. think in notes.

IMAGINE the notes you want to hear.. just hear them in your head.. then figure out how to get them onto your guitar
Im still learning
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6545849

Im not that bad as you can see though. To do that, what I did was learn the scale really well, find the ditones, and triads that use the scale and match the tone of the progression. Also try bends, arpeggios, and in the scales change the pattern. Dont play them all going up, od all going down. Make changes. Also let me know what you think about that track,... Id appreciate that.
imo, improvising good has a lot to do with knowing where the notes are on the guitar first. cause if you dont know where they are, how can you play them when you want to, if you dont know exactly where they are

then, you have to have be REALLY absorbed into the sound/music/moment etc. your mind as to be free from anything but the notes youre about to play. from there, you just keep an eye on your thoughts and play the notes. the more you get into it, the more your mind will create things it knows your fingers can play flawlessly and youll play it flawlessly

i find its easier to achieve this state of playing/being, late at night, when the worlds quite. youre very relaxed and you could fall asleep very easily if you wanted to.

thats what seems to work best for me
Last edited by nauc at May 23, 2008,
Quote by nyandres
Im still learning
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6545849

Im not that bad as you can see though. To do that, what I did was learn the scale really well, find the ditones, and triads that use the scale and match the tone of the progression. Also try bends, arpeggios, and in the scales change the pattern. Dont play them all going up, od all going down. Make changes. Also let me know what you think about that track,... Id appreciate that.

i thought that was great. just fuk around, dont worry. jam and have fun.

thought i was listening to some Primus or something.. cool man
here is a tip.
improving is the same as just talking to someone. you dont want to just mumble, or make noises, you want to be coherent and interesting.
now when you talk to someone, you dont make up new words everytime. you use existing words to make sentences and paragraphs. now when you improv, alot of "cliche" licks are your words. so, learn alot of solos from people you like. soon you will take those common words to make your sentences and paragraphs. (or if you play jazz, even chapters haha)
Find backing tracks and just play over em. Eventually you'll find your groove!

I spent a good year not learning any songs at all not really to get better at improvising but it certainly helped. After that I started learning techniques to apply to songs.
play with other people. you can learn alot by observing and playing with people with different styles than you.
def play with some other people and backing tracks. I'm pretty new at it but i realized that the most important thing is the starting and ending note of each phrase. You can play the coolest thing and end on a bad note and itll sound bad, while you can play something very simple and end on the right note and itll still sound good. Also, just find the groove of the song, keep it simple for now then expand when youre comfortable.
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
I have actually noticed you dont always have to start and end in the same note. On the clip I posted above I noticed some of the licks I played were off by that rule and still sounded good. Others were off, by every sense lol.

So in other words I dont know why some of these that were off sounded good, but it seems to have something to do with being the 5th of the tone, or being an arpeggio.
it comes with experience, you cant learn that

And find cool phrases when your playing
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
what really really helps a lot is to think some melodys and try to imagine/figure out how you play those melodys on the fretboard without actually having the guitar in your hands. for example when your walking down the street, taking a crap or whatever...not only you will be soon able to play the things that your hear in your head but you will also invent your own cool licks that will sound just the way you want them to.
try it out it will really help you.
Marty Friedman's Melodic Control is a great video to watch to get better at improvising
i think it's on google video
Agile Septor 6 - flame blue: Tonezone/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG350 in black
Douglas Strat copy w/ flame red and licensed floyd: JB bridge/ProTrack neck

Bugera 333 2x12 combo jj tubes
Epiphone Valve Junior head--modified

Boss SD-1
Just jam. Sometimes it helps to jam to something of your own (G, E C# A) or something like that, then do your own thing with it. Once you get the feel of it down, just do it anywhere.
Listen to something you like. Jam over it. Then think of all the theory and stuff, and maybe change a few notes here and there that sounds bad.
Do this alot, and maybe think of riffs/licks in your head, before playing them.

That's what I do, and I do like what I write myself.

also try and get your hands on Scott Hendersons Melodic Phrasing, helped me alot.
Even though the guy plays mostly jazzy-bluesy stuff, it can easily be applied to every genre.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black