Hello,
I've just started out playing guitar and have recently gotten my hands on a Fender Starcaster kit (not Stratocaster mind you, we're talking the cheap imitation) for free. I'm also using my friend's electro-acoustic Dean to practice with, which I much prefer when it comes to tone, etc. etc.

I was wondering what you all would think is the best investment for me to go with right now, so early on in my guitar career.

Options:
Buy a Roland Microcube to replace the crappy amp that came in the kit (fender sp-10, i think). Replace the cable that came with it with Monster Performer 500s (the kit one broke a couple days after I got it). Also slap a groove tube fat finger on it and replace the strings with some slinkys.

Buy a new cable, the groove tube, strings, cable, etc. and save the money on the amp towards a new guitar (most likely an acoustic or an electro-acoustic for now, since everyone says to learn on an acoustic first, but an electric is an option-and return the dean to my friend)

What do you guys think? Any other ideas?
Discuss.

Thanks
I learned to play guitar on a cheap acoustic guitar, with crappy 2 year old nylon strings. Amazingly, once I tuned the strings, they have never ever fallen out of tune. I guess it's not that crappy at all.

Played that guitar for like 6 months and when I switched to electric like a month ago, it was a lot easier, just my fingers were hurting like hell and now i have knuckle-like fingertips.
To be honest, I think electric is better to learn on. It's easier on the hands when you don't have callouses and it's immediately rewarding (ie. just slam down a power chord, say open E, with the distortion on and your in heaven).

As far as the choices go, choose which you want to learn on more. A fender Starcaster is no cream of the crop so a fancy amp isn't gonna make it sing, but it is a guitar, and that means you can play it. The question is, would you rather play that or the acoustic. Get the equipment that suits your interests.
I like electric better, you can have distortion and cleans. That's just me, I'd get the amp.

Edit: Reread it... Get a better guitar!
Will playing with the starcaster hold me back?

I've never played on a real electric guitar-by real i mean like anything over 200 bucks...so I honestly can't tell what i'm missing out on.

I really wish I knew.

Also, will the microcube be decent for when i get my decent electric?
Quote by firefly_shards
Will playing with the starcaster hold me back?

I've never played on a real electric guitar-by real i mean like anything over 200 bucks...so I honestly can't tell what i'm missing out on.

I really wish I knew.

Also, will the microcube be decent for when i get my decent electric?

No matter what your guitar will sound bad. You can start playing for a bit and see if you like it, that I suggest. But if your going to make a purchase it should be guitar first, unless your amp is really really bad.
hmmm....the amp i have is the amp that came with the guitar

my parents are pretty keen on getting me my own guitar (they think i'm going to break my friend's or something) so I think if I hold off trying to upgrade the starcaster I could probably get away with buying a new guitar

pricewise, it would be cheaper to get a decent acoustic set up as opposed to electric right?