It has come time to retire my little $150 used Samick Malibu after 2 years with her as my trusty travel guitar.

The pickups are so low gain yet still noisy, the action is pretty good but im finding all strat style guitars sloppy now, doesnt stay in tune well and generally feel its holding me back.

I was mostly trying to play hard rock, acdc, cream, hendrix....... etc etc

Now im really starting to enjoy power chords and a less technical more grunt style of guitar, listening and playing more metallica which i enjoy so much. So im after something that gives me that sound yet doesnt limit me to it.

I really really wanted a Michael Kelly Patriot Black (matte), but they too expensive here, $1000. I cant wait that long. I can get a new epi std or goth for $500.

I had an ibanez rg470. Whilst i loved the sound of the stock pickups i hated the length of the neck (24 frets is just weird). I tried S series but found them just a bit shallow in the sound compared to thicker bodied guitars.

I played a gothic and a cort evl and m520 at the guitar shop. i liked the gothic more as it felt solid as.

I have noticed there is a pirates caribbean LP Std for same price as the gothic, looks kinda cool too but like the gothic look more.

So is there a big difference between the two?

Is there anything else I should consider?
I THINK the Gothic are slightly lower quality in construction and pickups but don't wuote me Im not certain

EDIT: Wait where are you getting an Epi Std from for 500 in NZ?
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
gonna say, don't get studios man they are crap and not worth 500NZ seriously save up and get at least a standard, i got an Epi LP100 which is one step up from a studio and they are pretty crap but i got by with it but seriously the Std is worth the extra 500
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

Quote by druz15_UG
gonna say, don't get studios man they are crap and not worth 500NZ seriously save up and get at least a standard, i got an Epi LP100 which is one step up from a studio and they are pretty crap but i got by with it but seriously the Std is worth the extra 500

Hate to break it to you, but an Epi LP100 is bottom of the barrel mate. The studio is better than the LP100.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Quote by syk3d
Hate to break it to you, but an Epi LP100 is bottom of the barrel mate. The studio is better than the LP100.

hate to break it to you, but studios cost between 2 and 3 hundred NZ dollars, and LP100s cost 500 new. Studios have cheaper tuners, no trims, whereas LP100s have cheap trim. Im not saying LP100s are by any means good but Studios are THE bottom end of both Epiphone and Gibson Les Pauls, full stop, they are rarely even considered Les Pauls by most musicians
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

LP100=Special II<Junior<Special I<Studio<Standard<Custom<Black Beauty

thats how epiphone les paul's go. oh and i suppose theres the prophecy things but they dont really count as normal les paul's IMO. Id suggest an Ibanez SZ. Its as thick as a les paul and has the same bridge and dual humbucker configuration, but has a more strat-like body, meaning you can get further up the neck.

dont touch the pirates of the carribean one. i dunno how old you are, but anybody over about 14 will call you a fag. and i mean, from 14 year olds, thats saying alot. also you will probably grow to hate it later.
well that's ridiculous pricing, because everywhere else the studio is more expensive than the LP100.

edit: I was too slow there, the above poster is correct.
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Last edited by syk3d at May 23, 2008,
Quote by Ali-b912
LP100=Special II<Junior<Special I<Studio<Standard<Custom<Black Beauty

thats how epiphone les paul's go.

What? Special (I's) aren't even made anymore, and the Black Beauty is a downgrade from the Custom (third pickup = like shooting yourself in the foot).

If anything it goes, from best to worst:

Custom Plus & Joe Perry Signature (as good as you'll get without buying an Elitist or an actual Gibson)
Custom (above average)
Black Beauty (third pickup cripples it)
Standard Plain/Plus Top & Slash Signature (slight upgrade)
Standard (average)
Studio & LP-100 (Studio has lower quality everything, but the 100 is a bolt-on)
Junior (at least it has good sustain)
Special II (everything is pure **** on this one)

That's not counting the Ultra, 56 Goldtop, and the GX/EX LPs, since all of those models are so different to regular LPs they shouldn't be compared. Though those are all better quality-wise than the Standard at least anyway.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Oh, I didn't really read Ali's post (sorry)... I just edited because he beat me. I agree with you MrFlibble for the most part, but I do believe the Studio to be slightly better than the LP100.
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH STD! get it?
Quote by 666_Pounder
If you don't have enough for tube get a Roland Cube.

Equipment:
Fender Squire Fat Strat Affinity series
Some cheap amp....
Quote by True Dreams

indeed i do.

i didnt include signature models because i cbf. and the whole black beauty thing is a debateable issue. seeing as i havent played either, i just assumed it would be better. i do know they weigh an assload tho. and special I's arent made any more but heaps of people say they totally kick the crap out of special II's and the LP100.
black beauty & custom = the same. Standards and customs actually have the same pups, its just customs are slightly better quality hardware etc. Mr Fibbles post is dead on
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

Quote by druz15_UG
black beauty & custom = the same.
not really. The third pickup on the Black Beauty means less sustain (more magnetic pull on strings + less wood in the body) and dim tone (less wood again). Also the third humbucker means you can't do things like neck+bridge pickup combinations, nor can you do the more interesting things like bridge+middle or neck+middle. So the Black Beauty is quite a downgrade from the Custom really.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^Agreed.

Although all Customs used to be called Black Beauties, not because of the number of golden rectangles they had on the front, but because they were... black. And for that reason I think it's heresy for an Epi to be called a Black Beauty because it has a rosewood fretboard.
Quote by True Dreams

Yeah, my first thought was that even though I'm not an Epi kinda guy, I'd rather have one of those than an STD.
Last edited by Pikka Bird at May 23, 2008,
Quote by Ali-b912
indeed i do.

i didnt include signature models because i CBF . and the whole black beauty thing is a debateable issue. seeing as i havent played either, i just assumed it would be better. i do know they weigh an assload tho. and special I's arent made any more but heaps of people say they totally kick the crap out of special II's and the LP100.

Lol CBF Come before ****ing :P Nah xD
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by MrFlibble
not really. The third pickup on the Black Beauty means less sustain (more magnetic pull on strings + less wood in the body) and dim tone (less wood again). Also the third humbucker means you can't do things like neck+bridge pickup combinations, nor can you do the more interesting things like bridge+middle or neck+middle. So the Black Beauty is quite a downgrade from the Custom really.

well obviously from a personal viewpoint and going on the sound of the guitar but in terms of construction and parts customs and black beauties are on the same level, the fact that black beauties cost more doesn't make them better, it's just the price of the extra pickup. Look at it this way, the first black beauty Gibson made was a LP custom with a third pickup, that is the only major difference
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

That's not really the point. How can you justify less sustain and less tonal response as anything other than a downgrade?