To all you singers out there: How necessary are lessons exactly, to someone who wants to be able to sing well but not professionally? Also, would it be worth paying money for a tutor or is learning online from videos and such a better idea?
█████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████

You're just another brick in the wall
a tutor is the best, and if you plan on singing publicly like in a band or something I would recommend it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Lessons are critical, at least as far as learning the basics, if not with things more advanced.

Studying with a teacher can build a strong foundation for teaching yourself later, by helping you learn how to breath properly and the like, which are pivotal.

It also gives you unbiased, helpful input on how to get better, from someone who not only knows how to sing well themselves, but how to help you get there too.
Thanks for the advice, folks. I'm just wondering now what kind of tutor - I know a lot specialize in jazz singing and such, but I want an approach a little more general.

You're just another brick in the wall
I recommend a classical teacher. One who will drive the basics into your head.
All I can say to you is scales scales scales!
Make time to practice your scales and you will see the a huge improvement in your singing.