Hey guys, I'm experimenting with different tubes in my amp, and wanted to run this by you guys. I put a set of EL34 and Shuguang 9th gen preamp tubes in my Nitro, it comes stock with JJ KT77 power and JJ pre's. I was finding it a bit boomy and dark for my taste with the stock tubes, but I kind of went the other extreme now with the new tubes and running it thru V30. A couple of my friends are telling me it's got too much sizzle now though, and not enough punch. What do you guys think? I'm getting some really mixed opinions.

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=1548
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
*cums alot*

Their is a little sizzle, but just barely as I said. other than that is an amazing sound you have!

Totally jealous as ****!
haha, thanks man

I think I can fix the sizzle with some mic adjustment. I just threw the mic on there, but my V30 cab has a thick grillcloth, so I kind of guessed on placement. Need to go back and monitor what it's doing. Thanks for checking it out bro.

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
well man, when you have that done, send it might way

Do you add any eq? or is the sound the way it is natural?
Bloody hell Erock your tone and playing is actually incredible. How do you actually get such good results in recording?
I think I see what your friends are saying- this seems to be more of a lead tone than rhythm, the heavy chords don't quite have that punch that they have on the one Scott put on the Splawn website. They also seem to have a little too much...presence? I think?

Still sweet though
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
My God. That sounds stunning.

I actually quite like the 'sizzle'. You seem to have added some highs without taking away any of the 'punch'.

I wouldn't worry about it, your tone is outstanding.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by False_God
well man, when you have that done, send it might way

Do you add any eq? or is the sound the way it is natural?

thanks mang, will do. No EQ or even volume adjustments. That's completely raw, tracked hard left and hard right. It's still not as crushing as it sounds live, but it's close. Trying to capture that crazy lowend clips the heck out of my mics though, so it's tough, lol.

Quote by Yngwi3
Bloody hell Erock your tone and playing is actually incredible. How do you actually get such good results in recording?
I think I see what your friends are saying- this seems to be more of a lead tone than rhythm, the heavy chords don't quite have that punch that they have on the one Scott put on the Splawn website. They also seem to have a little too much...presence? I think?

Still sweet though

thanks man
appreciate the crit. I'm thinking the EL34 have something to do with that. I kind of like the added presence actually, it was kind of too dark with the JJ's and the KT77. The KT77 definitely have more of a punch in the lowend though. Problem was, I was only keeping my bass around 8:30 for all my clips, lol. It was just insane lowend, like no need for a bass player, hehe. I think I can bring the punch back though, the bass was still only on 9:30 for that clip, even with EL34.

I'm also thinking the 9th gens have a little compression going on, but I'm digging how they don't get as harsh when I bump the presence and treble. Guess I'll try some more experimenting with it. Thanks for checking it out man.

Quote by Inspired_by_Vai
My God. That sounds stunning.

I actually quite like the 'sizzle'. You seem to have added some highs without taking away any of the 'punch'.

I wouldn't worry about it, your tone is outstanding.

thanks a lot man, appreciate that. I kind of like the added sizzle too, it was sounding a little too dark to me before, but I think I might have gone a little too far. I was very surprised how much the new pres and powertubes changed the overall character of the amp though. Think I'll just try and dial it a tiny bit back, or move the mic over a hair. Thanks for checking it out man.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at May 23, 2008,
Hmm I don't know much (okay, anything ) about different valves haha but could you try the KT77's in the poweramp and the Shuguangs in the pre? Maybe come to a happy medium?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
The EL 34's would have added that top end sizzle.... I got it with the Marshall I test-drove. Maybe try going back to the KT77's with the new preamp tubes... it might make all the difference... even just using new preamp tubes....

Edit: I just saw Yngwi3's post above mine.... same thought wave....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Personally I'd prefer a smoother, bassier, punchier tone, but man, that tone is still great (and the playing is damn good too). Maybe a little less sizzle as was said. I agree on the lead tone thing.

Btw, those aren't midi drums are they?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Yngwi3
Hmm I don't know much (okay, anything ) about different valves haha but could you try the KT77's in the poweramp and the Shuguangs in the pre? Maybe come to a happy medium?

yeah, I was thinking that. However, these RUby's do have a lot of punch too, but I was only using one mic this time aimed at the center of the cone. I'll try and setup 2 mic's again so I can capture a bit more of that lowend thump. It's still got plenty of punch in the room, it's just getting it on recording that's a little tough. That's not a bad idea though man, I may just try that.

Quote by forsaknazrael
Damn, man. Nice recordings! As always, really impressed by your ability to capture your tone. I think it sounds good.
How are ya gonna attempt to remove the sizzle through mic position? Tilt the center mic?

thanks man. It was directly over the cone, or where I guessed the cone was. I need to take a flashlight and see where it is actually over the speaker. The darn grill on my V30 cab is almost impossible to see through. I figure I would move it out closer to the rim of the cone, so it would capture less treble and more bass. This was only one mic this time, so I'll try double mic'ing it again too next time to see if I can remedy it a little. Thanks for checking it out.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
The EL 34's would have added that top end sizzle.... I got it with the Marshall I test-drove. Maybe try going back to the KT77's with the new preamp tubes... it might make all the difference... even just using new preamp tubes....

Edit: I just saw Yngwi3's post above mine.... same thought wave....

yeah, I may give that a shot. Thanks man.

Quote by Fama
Personally I'd prefer a smoother, bassier, punchier tone, but man, that tone is still great (and the playing is damn good too). Maybe a little less sizzle as was said. I agree on the lead tone thing.

Btw, those aren't midi drums are they?

thanks man. I may try keeping everything the same, and running it thru my Texas Heats cab. That seems to attenuate some topend, but still has a big chunky bottom. What I'm seriously considering is loading up a cab with V30 and the Texas Heats, I wish they made a speaker that was the combination of the 2. Also, yeah, those are midi drums from my GNX4. Cool that you guys think it could be a good lead tone, I might have to throw something down on it when I get the rhythm worked out.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at May 23, 2008,