Page 1 of 3
After years of tap dancing on stage turning pedals on and off Ive discovered having no effects except an Ibanez Tube screamer between my Les Paul and Marshall is the way to go. Let the tone come from your fingers, focus on playing the part instead of hitting little buttons on a dark stage, and have so much less mess (cables, ac adapters, pedals) to deal with at shows. Sometimes you can find yourself hiding behind an effect because its a security blanket and can cover mistakes. This way forces you to play **** spot on! Thank God I saw the light. Does anyone agree or are you all effects junkies?.....
I agree but you have to admit that it's a lot harder. I discovered it last summer (2007), and yes. This is the way to go
You're an idiot. Efects are just as much a part of some songs as the melodies. What happens if you need an effect, without which you can't play the song properly? Go kill yourself.
I could write songs as bad as Wham's if I really felt the urge to, but what's the point? - RS
Quote by sattelitecity
You're an idiot. Efects are just as much a part of some songs as the melodies. What happens if you need an effect, without which you can't play the song properly? Go kill yourself.

I was looking for the resident thread asshole .

Anyway, **** like whammy and crazy octavers is weird. All I use or probably ever will is a delay, wah, and an OD/Distortion pedal.

Unless, I'm playing a satriani or vai cover or something.
yeah effects pedals are quite gay, I caught my Metal Muff attempting to sodomize my Crybaby the other day, like there was some techno blaring in the background and the the muff was loaded on meth too, it was disturbing....

Oh, and i'd really like to know how to get phase shifting and reverb from my fingers, if the TS knows he should tell us, cause that would save people a lot of money
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
im a fan of distortion/overdrive and wah. I like the flanger effect because of early Incubus and some others...

other thatn that, i wouldnt really want anything else.
a good guitar, a good amp, a vox wah pedal, and a boss digital delay is all you need
did i say flanger? sorry...that actually sucks...i meant phase shifter..unless they're the same, in which case i'm a dumbass...
Quote by sattelitecity

True certain songs would be unnatainable without effects, such as most by U2, but Ive found I dont want them anymore. So pedals for me , personally, are gay. For you Im sure many other things are gay. Many,many things.
i agree with you, but in some ways if you are creative enough effects can really spice stuff up
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
What exactly is the difference between getting a certain sound with quality woods, pickups, new strings, and a good amp than getting a certain sound with a pedal?
i use effects to add a new demension to my playing, not to cover it up...
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Using 'gay' as a derogatory term = fail.

Unless, of course, your pedals are male and do partake in homosexual intercourse.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Yeah, because females cant be gay^

yes i agree with TS, although sometimes i find myself wanting and using more effects. when it comes down to it, i spend most of my time with jsut a guitar, amp, and cable.
Last edited by chea_man at May 23, 2008,
I agree in a way.. Effects can be used to cover up sloppy playing, but i dont think they are all the time. For example i love playing Angus Young style, which is actually VERY clean but if i were to use that tone to cover a Muse song, it sounds ****ty. Also Tube Screamers cover up sloppy playing.
Quote by megatallica666
yeah they are gay! Ibanez Tube screamer...wait what?

Quote by sebastian_96

+1

Uselessly provoking way of wording it, but in a sense I see what you mean. On the other hand, I love effects when they're used well.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by sebastian_96

Unless, of course, your pedals are male and do partake in homosexual intercourse.

my pedals do that all the time, it keeps me awake at night
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
please tell me you guys are not that ignorant. for people who play straight up blues-rock like slash then thats great but experimentation is a great way to shape your sound. if you listen to bands like the mars volta that are heavily drenched in off the wall effects it forces you to look deeper into the noise and find the beauty in the melodies. so if you dont like pedals thats cool but at least appreciate them, especially when bands you like use them.
John Frusciante's face reading this thread
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Try playing Muse songs without effects. Just standard amp distortion. Doesn't work. 1. Sounds crap/cheap, 2. Some parts need effects otherwise you can't play them properly and they don't come out how they're meant to.
i'm just too poor to go out and buy loads of pedals.

lol.. even if i was rich tho.. i guess i'd just have overdrives, delays, EQ, and MAYBE a compressor. .. perhaps a chorus..
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by JeDiXxX
After years of tap dancing on stage turning pedals on and off Ive discovered having no effects except an Ibanez Tube screamer between my Les Paul and Marshall is the way to go. Let the tone come from your fingers, focus on playing the part instead of hitting little buttons on a dark stage, and have so much less mess (cables, ac adapters, pedals) to deal with at shows. Sometimes you can find yourself hiding behind an effect because its a security blanket and can cover mistakes. This way forces you to play **** spot on! Thank God I saw the light. Does anyone agree or are you all effects junkies?.....
Neither.

I generally play all my stuff clean.
But I'm not a little maggot who thinks that pedals are inherently bad, either.
They're tools. Use them wisely and they'll serve you well if you choose to use them.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I'm also not a fan of effect pedals, but I do like effects. So I plan to buy a G-Major with midi controller, so I only have to hit one button to get a number of effects during solo's or clean parts.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by sebastian_96

+1

I can respect anyone who's entire signal path is a single cable, but I have little respect for anyone using the term "gay" in this capacity.

I also have little respect for anyone who tries to suggest that their way of playing guitar is superior to anyone else's based on what they have plugged in. Plenty of outstanding pros use a wall of effects, while plenty of hacks are guitar>cable>amp guys, and vice versa.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
i understand what you're saying, but i can't do talkbox solos without a talkbox

I usually have a bunch of different types of distortion that i use for different things, and use subtle effects here and there to add a bit of flavour.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by sebastian_96

+1 - and even then does it matter what their sexual preference? surely a gay delay pedal is still a valid delay pedal... how offensive!
Thank you please.
was there any need for the hate fest?

TS: dont use gay as much

everyone else: say something worth while in a nice fasion or kindly GTFO.
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I only want about 4 effects: Wah, distortion, Delay, and whammy. Thats all I'll need.

less = more :]
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
I love my crazy octave up/down pedals. I like my stereo chorus, my wah, and my OD. Indifferent towards my distortion and Envelope Filter (unless I'm playing my bass, in which I love my Filter). If one of these pedals happens to male, and I like it or love it, then I guess I'm the gay one (wait till my GF finds out).
I couldn't play some Jack White stuff without my crazy Octavers though, but I can also see the point in plugging straight in if your amp is good enough.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
was there any need for the hate fest?

TS: dont use gay as much

everyone else: say something worth while in a nice fasion or kindly GTFO.

was there any need for the hate fest? yes

using the term gay is very offensive.

should we start using racial slurs too as long as its not personal? didnt think so

i think standing up for gay rights is very worthwhile and i will continue to challenge it wherever i see it. whatever its implications. so you kindly GTFO. spanner.
Thank you please.
As is the case with most things in life, everything in moderation. You could have 10 effects applied to your sound, but if they're all in moderation, you aren't hiding behind the effects, you're adding texture and character to your overall sound.

Like someone else before me said, I'd love to see a guy get any sort of modulation effect (beyond vibrato and tremolo) with just his fingers and the amp.

I understand that for certain genres and styles of playing all you really need is your guitar and an amp, and maaaaybe a no frills OD like a Tube Screamer, but there's also genres and styles that don't even need that Tube Screamer, and there are genres and styles that require extra effects to create a lush sound that strings, pickups, and a speaker simply can't do by themselves.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by deadlydunc
was there any need for the hate fest? yes

using the term gay is very offensive.

should we start using racial slurs too as long as its not personal? didnt think so

i think standing up for gay rights is very worthwhile and i will continue to challenge it wherever i see it. whatever its implications. so you kindly GTFO. spanner.

mate this is a gear forum, all TS needed was a polite reminder not to use words that might offend people

IMO it was an overreaction, and using gay as an insult is almost as bad as resorting to playground name calling on the internet. here, have a rolleyes

abuse is abuse, youre just as bad tbh
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Effects have their place....its an art knowing how to use them correctly......listen to circa survive, they would be able to play their music with just a tube screamer. Or Muse...or The Mars Volta. Some people want to expand what their instrument can do. I don't know if you've played with a lot of delay, but in my experience, mistakes show much worse with lots of delay....because you hear it again....and again....and again....Not everyone plays traditional rock....I don't anymore
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Page 1 of 3