These guys are amazing. Im surprised more people dont know about them, at least not here in Ireland, having said that they are getting more popular. Alligator and Boxer are two of my favourite albums of the last few years.

This thread is basically to discuss the band and their songs etc.
"I just hope that our fans are people who are inspired by music, and just use our music as a background or inspiration for whatever it is they do. "

Maynard James Keenan
Sorry dude but I would probably send these guys to Alternative & Indie. They don't really fit here in Modern Rock.
Sitting on the edge of nowhere.
Watch Out or Ill Steal Your Girlfriend... or Wife.
Roll Tide
I haven't listened to much of their music. In fact, all the music I have heard from them is from music videos I have found on YouTube.

To be honest, if it wasn't for the fact that they are touring with R.E.M. and Modest Mouse, I would probably have never heard of them.
Well if a mod would like to close or move this to the appropriate section i would be more than happy!
"I just hope that our fans are people who are inspired by music, and just use our music as a background or inspiration for whatever it is they do. "

Maynard James Keenan
Done
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
some friends of mine said that boxer was really really good. i got the album, listened to it and thought "40 minutes of the same song".
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
They've definately grown on me over time, wasn't the biggest fan at first but now i love them, cant wait for their show at oxegen this year!

Maynard James Keenan
I really want to see them live, got the chance a few years ago when Alligator came out but I already had tickets to see the subways the same night...
Don't like Boxer as much but it's still a decent album.
I absolutely love The National! They finally seem to be getting the recognition they deserve - they're starting to play bigger venues and are higher up the bill at festivals than they were this time last year.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
They're really good, one of my favorite bands, but most people don't know about them.
Quote by RATM forever
definitely the best spam thread today!
thing about the national is that at first listen you dont really get whats going on. If you listen to them more than once, or listen to them with a really open mind, chances are you will be blown away. Boxer and alligator are both amazing but i would have to say boxer is a better album. One of my favorite albums of all time. when i first got into them i listened to it for about 2 months straight.
Quote by blackmajik2021
thing about the national is that at first listen you dont really get whats going on. If you listen to them more than once, or listen to them with a really open mind, chances are you will be blown away. Boxer and alligator are both amazing but i would have to say boxer is a better album. One of my favorite albums of all time. when i first got into them i listened to it for about 2 months straight.

I was the same when i started to get into them, i was addicted! And most people i have told to listen to them are now fans aswel.

What are peoples favourite songs? All the wine, Apartment Story, Fake empire and Slow show are my favourites i think.

Maynard James Keenan
i have avoided posting in this thread because i think i posted too much the last time a thread about The National came up, but now i have a question for y'all. is the Virginia EP worth picking up? i've heard mostly negative things about it...
i was going to see this band at sasquatch but there van broke down
so they couldn't make it till 7
the same time as okkavile river
and i could miss that

so the fleet foxes play filled in there spot
even though they had all ready played
but they were awesome both times
Mr. November is probably my favourite. Both Boxer and Alligator are both spectacular exercises in post-punk influenced indie rock.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

I didn't searchbar hard enough apparently, 2008? really?
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
It's funny I just posted them in my Americana Indie thread yesterday, not quite sure if they fit there, or not, but I included a lot of bands I saw touring together.

They are pretty good, he's got a great voice, but they kind of strange, awkard live.

Anyone catch them on Austin City Limits?

I'd have to say Lucky You, is probably my favorite, but I have not heard the entire catalog.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Quote by Toadvine
It's funny I just posted them in my Americana Indie thread yesterday, not quite sure if they fit there, or not, but I included a lot of bands I saw touring together.

They are pretty good, he's got a great voice, but they kind of strange, awkard live.

Anyone catch them on Austin City Limits?

I'd have to say Lucky You, is probably my favorite, but I have not heard the entire catalog.

I'd say Americana is a good descriptor,

I don't really know what my favourite song is, I guess it's probably Afraid of Everyone, just because I love miserable bastard music, lol

High Violet is definitely my favourite album, then Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers and Boxer
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

I think it is safe to say that I now like Alligator more than Boxer. High Violet is not far behind those two either. I still haven't checked out Sad Songs. Gotta get on that.
Quote by pumpkins_rule
Mr. November is probably my favourite. Both Boxer and Alligator are both spectacular exercises in post-punk influenced indie rock.

I love Mr. November. Brilliant song. Heard it ages ago, only started to listening to The National's newer stuff recently, but I like High Violet. Seeing them at Leeds Festival in August, very excited!
I think Alligator and S/T are my favorites. Sad Songs for Dirty lovers and Boxer Close behind. High Violet is also awesome but it's been more of a slow grower for me.
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Quote by jiminizzle
I think Alligator and S/T are my favorites. Sad Songs for Dirty lovers and Boxer Close behind. High Violet is also awesome but it's been more of a slow grower for me.

it was for me as well, I bought it when it came out, and only recently have begun to appreciate it as much as I do, that's just how I've always digested music though... and why I'm years behind everyone else in finding good music
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...