I'm not entirely sure where this goes, but I'm gonna try MT first before I go back to my safe lurking haven of the bassist forum. The subject at hand seems more theory inclined then anything else, so I figured I'd try here. If I'm wrong, mods, please either delete this or move, whichever is easier and more convenient.

I'm looking for songs that are in 5/8 time signature. I know some of Tool's songs are in 5/8, but I'm not the biggest fan of that genre of music(I'm not trashing them, just stating personal preference).

I'm in a band, and my drummer wants to write a song in 5/8, and since I'm really kind of new to different time signatures, I wouldn't mind getting some practice under my belt with other songs before I attempt to tackle writing a bass line for a song of my own.

Any and all help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Whit abound in this signature
Quote by think11270
Pirate songs, seriously.
ha ha

I found a page on wikipedia that might be helpful
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musical_works_in_unusual_time_signatures

Oh, haha, very nice find! I didn't think of turning to Wikipedia because I've been lead wrong by them before(who hasn't, eh?), but the one time I don't look....

And, thanks quinny. I'll check out that Radiohead song.
Whit abound in this signature
"When your mind's made up" by glen hansard & marketa irglova is a great song in 5/8. I'm going to see them in July!
My wave by Soundgarden is a great example of a song that is in 5/4 yet feels perfectly natural
5/8 is normally counted as a group of 3 quavers followed by 2 quavers or vica versa , with 5/4 the grouping can be with 2 groups of 3 semquavers followed by 4 quavers

5/8 commonly felt as 3/8 follwed by 2/8 or 2/8 followed by 3/8

5/4 as above but with quarter notes ,
also 6/8 followed by 2/4
Damien Redmond - "Grade 8 electric guitar" -"Grade 5 theory "
"Licentiate Diploma of the London college of music "
It's in 4/4 I think, just odd beats are stressed.

EDIT: listened again, and it sounds like 4/4, 9/8, 6/4 or something to that effect.
Last edited by Declan87 at May 23, 2008,
check out YYZ's intro by rush...i think money by floyd might be too, not sure
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Dream Theater's Stream of Consciousness makes extensive use of both 5/4 and 5/8 (...and 6/8 and 6/4 and 4/4 and 3/4...and so on)
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Dream Theater's Stream of Consciousness makes extensive use of both 5/4 and 5/8 (...and 6/8 and 6/4 and 4/4 and 3/4...and so on)

And 12/8.

Constant Motion is primarily in 5/8, if I remember correctly.
Quote by Archeo Avis

A better example would be The Dance Of Eternity, imo.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
A better example would be The Dance Of Eternity, imo.

There's something like 123 changes in that song. Good time workout.
Quote by demonofthenight
Cant believe no one said it yet...

Take Five by David Brubeck

That's 5/4, not 5/8, I think.
like the guy above me said, one way to look at it is to divide it into groups of twos and threes. So another way of putting what he said is 1-2-3 1-2 or 1-2 1-2-3. the 1's would be where the accent is. And to put a plug in for my own music, the begining of my song "the journey" has a segment which is 5/4. basically the same idea as 5/8.
Take Five is good.

15 Step is in 5, and has a thumpin' bassline to boot. Perfect for your purposes.
Quote by Declan87
"When your mind's made up" by glen hansard & marketa irglova is a great song in 5/8. I'm going to see them in July!

great song and great movie. somewhat on subject, i love playing in odd time signatures, especially any #/8 are usually fun to play in.
____________________ ___________________
..............................................I have epic fail.........................................

The mission impossible theme is in 5/4. Also I believe that there are parts of the West Side Story in 5/4 or 5/8
Gear:Schecter C1+
Peavey Triple XXX 120 Watt Tube Head
Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Recto Cab

Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Stilletto Cab<<--600$ for sale ask me

Credentials: BFA in Theater Performance, BM in Music Composition
Wait for Sleep by dream theater switches from 5/8 to 6/8, and These Walls, also by dream theater switches from 6/8 to parts of it in 5/8
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build