I just replaced all the pots from my starter guitar with official Gibson ones (it's a Gibson-Baldwin SG but I've tinkered with it so that it's got great 3/64" action on the low e). Right now there are no caps on the pots; what caps should I install to get closer to that warm Jimmy Page classic rock tone? Also, I'd love to upgrade the humbuckers on the cheap if anyone has any recommendations.
to be honest unless you have a set neck LP with a nice heavy body and a nice thick maple top, some would argue you'll never get his tone, namely here that tells you the caps to go for, and any PAF or PAF style should prolly get you in the ballpark, try the old phase switching too
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
a lot of ealy zepplin was a telecaster and other things... so coil taps
Shut up and play your guitar!
Quote by plbrynt

*splits
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
The Duncan 59s will cover Page pretty well. You could mix things up with a Seth Lover in the neck and '59 in the bridge. Could you be more specific about the tones you're after, the man had/has many tones.

Quote by Arbitror
The Jimmy Page wiring diagram on Duncan's website says to use .047 microfarad caps.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/support/schematics/2h_2v_2t_3w_2pp.jpg

Doubt he was using .047uF. The JP wiring was never used during Led Zeppelin anyways.

Quote by plbrynt

Well yes and no, obviously the first album is, the second album almost all Les Paul.
Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at May 23, 2008,
Specifically stuff like Ten Years Gone, Achilles Last Stand, pretty much everything after Led Zeppelin 3.
You guys realise he's playing a guitar which is sold in Walmart right?

TS, I'd save for a new guitar and a new amp, then you will have guaranteed awesome tone
So those are the tones you're looking for? Ten Years Gone is actually a Strat. Some debate Achilles is a Strat or possibly a Tele as well, a phaser would help for Achilles as well.

Honestly though I agree with ECWwomantoneman, this is going to be like polishing a turd, and its really not going to get you any closer to the tones you're looking for. Your amp is so-so, not that it's bad but it's not really voiced (in my opinion) for the sound you seem to be after.

As I said before though, the SD 59's tend to cover Page well, so maybe consider those on down the road with a new guitar.
P90's, PAF's, etc.

Any vintage style, low output pickup will get you in the ball park, especially PAF's.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece