Question for all of you who know your stuff with scales. I kinda figured out a way to memorize a scale but not sure if I should do it this way.

What I was going to do was start with like A Minor. Learn that everywhere I can and memorize the notes and intervals(Still working on memorizing these). Then go onto the next mode and memorize it in the spots I can find em. I really need to learn more scales to improve my playing. So if anyone has like a good technique to help me get scales down please let me know. Also does pentatonic minor have a pattern like the major scale(wwhwwwh).

Second question I have is I hear lots of people know what chords go into and make a scale and what the scale is based on. How do I learn how to do this..
Gear:
Dean VX
Ovation Celebrity CC44 Electric Acoustic
VOX DA5
Pentatonic Minor scale is T+S, T, T T+S, T

the way to make chords for example on A major

A B C# D E f#G#

Now to find out what chords they are learn ur intervals, to figure out what chords are major and minor
learn scales like lined patterns eg

major scale
- -
- - -
- - -

harmonic minor

x- -
- - -
- - -

chords in keys memorise your key sigs first
Well I just asked someone a question about scales and he told me to focus more on the shape then the pattern. What does he mean by that..
Gear:
Dean VX
Ovation Celebrity CC44 Electric Acoustic
VOX DA5
That shape is pretty meaningless on it's own though, it could be anything - that's why you need to learn the note and intervals before worrying about them.

Shapes and patterns help you use a scale, but they don't really help you learn it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Kash1333
Question for all of you who know your stuff with scales. I kinda figured out a way to memorize a scale but not sure if I should do it this way.

What I was going to do was start with like A Minor. Learn that everywhere I can and memorize the notes and intervals(Still working on memorizing these). Then go onto the next mode and memorize it in the spots I can find em. I really need to learn more scales to improve my playing. So if anyone has like a good technique to help me get scales down please let me know. Also does pentatonic minor have a pattern like the major scale(wwhwwwh).

Second question I have is I hear lots of people know what chords go into and make a scale and what the scale is based on. How do I learn how to do this..

Best way to learn scales is through the Circle of Fifths. (Google "Circle Of Fifths" and you can probably find a GIF image for the major and minor one.) However this requires you to understand order of sharps and flats. And from there use your flash cards or just straight up memorize them.

as for chords on the scale, or also called the Diatonic Chord Scale, its just a simple tool that you can memorize:

In Triads:
Major = Maj, Min, Min, Maj, Maj, Min, Dim
Minor= Min, Dim, Maj, Min, Maj, Maj, Maj or Dim*

In Seventh Chords and tertian extensions:
Major= Maj7, Min7, Min7, Maj7, Dom7, Min7, Min7b5**
Minor= Min7, Min7b5, Maj7, Min7, Dom7, Maj7, Dom7 or Dim7* or min7b5

*Depending on what minor scale you use the chord built on the seventh tone varies. If you use natural minor its a major triad or a Dom7. If you use the Harmonic minor its a Diminished triad or a (fully)-diminished seventh chord; this is due because you raise the seventh scale degree a half step. Then if you use a melodic minor scale you have a raised seventh, but you also have raised sixth in the scale. So your Triad will still be diminished but the seventh chord is now a min7b5 due to the raised sixth.

**min7b5 is also called a half-diminished chord. As opposed to the fully Diminished seventh chord which is 1 b3 bb5 bb7, a half-diminished or min7b5 chord is 1 b3 bb5 b7. Both Min7b5 and half-diminished are interchangable
Gear:Schecter C1+
Peavey Triple XXX 120 Watt Tube Head
Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Recto Cab

Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Stilletto Cab<<--600$ for sale ask me

Credentials: BFA in Theater Performance, BM in Music Composition
It's best to learn in the key of C major first.
This will be your refference piont.

Not sure if it's the best way.
Since I memorized the diatonic interval and know the freatboard like
the back of my hand now. And decades of ear training and playing.

I just learn new scales like this 1,2,b3,4,5,b6,b7.
Whatever the b or # to a corrosponding note..I adjust accordingly.

I know minor scales or chords will have a b3....that's simple to remember.

The minor pentatonic is just this 1,b3,4,5,b7.

To play the mixolian, i just play a b7 of the diatonic scale
To play the lydain i just play a #4 of the diatonic

To play the harmonic minor I just play a regular 7 of the aerolian or natural minor

Chords are just every other notes.

As far as applying it to the fretboard. I broke the scale down into one octive
and broke it down even more.

I started with the basic triad.....the 3rd is almost always one string down
and one fret up from the root for a major...notice the shape of the open C ,G or Dmaj
chords.

The 5th is one string down 2 frets down...right beneath the 5th is the octive.

Right beneath the root is the 4th

these are not tabs but shape

A-----------------2-------------------5--------------------
E----------------------3------------------------------------

or
D-----0-----------------------
A----------2-------------------
E-----------------3------------

minor...obviousely the 3rd is b

A-----1----------------------------5----- or ------------------------5----------------
E--------------------3---------------------- -----3--------------------------6-------
Last edited by Ordinary at May 25, 2008,
If your willing to put in the time and effort, I'd say simply memorize all of your major scales, then apply the mode system. The mode system is simply changing the root of the scale to find the relative mode. In order they are Ionian (basic major scale), Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolean(basic minor scale) and Locrian. So, for example in the key of C (C D E F G A B C) the D Dorian mode is all the notes of the C major scale, but starting on D, Phrygian starting on E, Lydian starting on F, yadda yadda yadda. Thats my explanation, e-mail me at Lumpy890@hotmail.com if you want a deeper explanation.