I just found a Mesa Boogie Caliber.50 for pretty cheap.
I play alot of melodic death metal and a fair bit of thrash to. I can buy a OD for it, would it get the tones I'm looking for at low volumes. I want an As I Lay Dying or God Forbid type tone. EQ setting around Bass: 4 Mid: 7 Treble: 8
Anyone played 'teh brootalz' through this ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
is it anywhere that you could try it out?? I think (don't quote me on this) that the Caliber series was the predecessor to the F series
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Yeah, but its a fair drive and I don't really want to bother my bro about it unless I'm really interested. I've heard that the current model of it is the DC which stands for Dual Calibre, so whats the gain channel like on the DC's and could it do modern metal with an OD.

I also found that there is a + model, if anyone knows the differance between the standard and the + models can you tell me.

Here's a soundclip of the + series and it sounds pretty good to me, what do you guys think ?.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcmxEYHiha4
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
is it the one with the graphic eq? if not then i'd say get an eq for the fx loop.
the lead channel on mine sort of crapped out. actually it was the mid knob on the lead channel that crapped out. but before that it had all the gain i needed. but then again i never play above living room levels. i also don't have anything to compare it to.

the "plus" model has the graphic eq
I'd say give it a shot....sounds good to me
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Yeah he said it had the 5 band graphic eq but said it was just the standard model. So guessing he was just in aware that the + model contained a 5 band graphic EQ. Yeah I also have a GE7 which I'll probably put in the loop along with my noise gate. Its at $1200 which is a fair bit and for that I could probably get a Bugera 6262 and a second hand marshall 2x12 or something.

Should I just save up an extra $450 and get a brand new 6505 combo or should I go and give this one a shot. This amp is going to have to last me a fair while probably 2 years. We think the amp was built mid to late 80's but its a mesa so reliability should not be a factor ?

I think I'll go try it out on sunday. I know that this amp will serve me well if I ever change my tastes in music too although with a 6505 I would be stuck in high gain territory. He said he changed the power tubes about a year ago and doesn't play it to often, didn't mention the pre amp stage but he must have changed them. I won't be able to afford a re tube for a few months so hopefully his don't crap out on me.

Any other opinions ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
I don't know if it was just me but I did not like that tone too much. It seemed like it was lacking something, and for that much money? I would say save for a different amp, and it seemed like it might be able to get that really heavy gain, but i wouldn't pay that much.
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
Boss Ds-1 Distortion Pedal
Heritage VIP 1(would like to sell)
i don't think you'll need the ge-7 with the boogie. unless you're gonna use it for a boost or something like that.
I'm in Australia guys!
Just to give you an idea of pricing.
6505 head rrp:2495
6505+ head rrp:2995
Randall 50TC combo rrp:1299
Marshall TSL 601 combo rrp:2299
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
More Opinions needed guys!
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
I've not played the standard .50 Cal, but I played the + version and I really liked it. It had enough gain by itself to do what you want and the clean channel wasn't bad either. I was actually going to buy it until I saw the price tag at $950 (At GC), so then I went and bought the brand new F-30 for $712
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah I think I'll go and try it out tommorow.
It is 20+ years old and I don't really have the money to repair it, do you guys think it will crap out within the next 2 years ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
For teh brutal00rz?

Meshuggah uses this amp in studio.

/thread completely

Mesas (IMO) completely rape Peavey and Bugera, and just about all other companies normally mentioned here not only for tone, but also reliability. I'm sure getting American products in Australia will be expensive (hell, with the exchange rate when I was there a PS1 [yea, LONG time ago] was nearly 250 USD!), but Mesas are more than worth it, so if you can get it for cheap, go for it!
Quote by howey
Yeah I think I'll go and try it out tommorow.
It is 20+ years old and I don't really have the money to repair it, do you guys think it will crap out within the next 2 years ?

Alright, I really hate to just respond and make another post after i JUST posted, but from my experiance (well, a few months with mine), Mesas are durable as hell. My DC's nearly 15 years old, and aside from some obvious scuffing on the exterior, works great and sounds amazing. Make sure you give it 30 seconds to warm up, use standby before turning it off, and don't throw it off a building, and it should last you a while.
Oh o k, now is the DC exactly the same as the Calibur series but just 2 channels or something ?
And does yours do 'the brootalz' ?
I heard it was only used on one meshuggah album and they used to boost it to.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
Oh o k, now is the DC exactly the same as the Calibur series but just 2 channels or something ?
And does yours do 'the brootalz' ?
I heard it was only used on one meshuggah album and they used to boost it to.

The whole caliber series is basically a stripped down Mark/Recto fusion. High gain like the rectos, but smooth and tight like the Mark series. They're really unique sounding.

For brutal stuff, I don't feel like tuning really low to do Meshuggah (I don't own a 7 string either) but I do play stuff like Strapping Young Lad, Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, Dimmu Borgir, Sikth, In Flames, Arch Enemy, Converge, etc etc (basically groups that tune low and like some good chunk), and it can handle that and a lot more. The DC is basically a Caliber with seperate EQs, and with a boost on the clean channel (DC features are basically a Mark IV, but with Rhythm 1 and 2 being combined on the same channel).

As far as the Meshuggah album goes, I don't know anything about them boosting it, all I know is that it was used by them, and more than likely the boost was used to make the low end tight (seriously, they do tune relatively low, and depending on the album, it could be as low as E or F), but in all honesty, that's really up to taste. So long as you don't overload the amp with bass, your low end shouldn't get woofy or loose.
C Standard is pretty low, I would be playing in dropped d 80% of the time and C standard the rest. Could you tell me your settings on the DC for metal ?
I've heard boogies are quite hard to EQ and it'd be good to have a basic idea before Igo to check it out.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Alright, this is probably off (the amps not at my house right now seeing as i'm still making room for it), but for a LOG - Tool level of distortion;

Lead Channel:

Gain: 3
Treble: 5 or 6
Mid: 8 - 9
Bass: 3
Presence: 6
Channel Output: 3 - 5 (depending on if i'm going for something like Tool or Lamb of God)
Master Output: 1 (that's for playing by myself, but I got it up to 3 in Guitar Center,...not only did I nearly go deaf, but the amp just became thicker and meatier)
Graphic EQ: Frown (boosted mids), above the mid point line

I went into Drop C/Open C Major with the amp once, and it sounded really good with it. didn't really mess with the settings to much, just added a little more gain for SYL.

The wonderful thing about the Mesa is the ability to roll off. I'm too lazy atm to find a footswitch for it, so I set it on the lead channel, drop my volume to 1, and have really smooth cleans (If i was using a Strat, I could probably nail John Frusciante style cleans EASY), then roll it back to 10 and crank out meaty riffs.

And you're right, mesas ARE a bitch to EQ, mainly because they're not like any other amp in their EQ structure. It's not like a Marshall where you gotta max everything to get it to sound good, instead, Less = More. Less Bass + More Volume = AMAZINGLY thick rhythm sound, while Massive Bass + Massive Volume = Mud. Try setting (seeing as they're a shared EQ) Gain at like 3 or 4 (not sure if there's a lead gain knob, but there should be), Treble around 5 or 6, Mids at 4 - 6, and Bass at 2 - 4. Presence 2 - 4 if you like a darker tone, 4 - 7 if you like it brigther. ALSO, DO NOT scoop the mids out with the graphic EQ. It sounds horrible. Either set them on the EQ at a neutral setting, or scoop them VERY slightly. Even for really brutal stuff, mids on a Mesa do wonders to make your guitar crunch yet sound clear at louder volumes.

I think that should be it. If you think i'm forgetting something, let me know, but that should get you started for the settings. Hope you like the amp!
Ahh thanks heaps dude !
Gain only on 3 for log, this thing must have heaps of tap then.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
Ahh thanks heaps dude !
Gain only on 3 for log, this thing must have heaps of tap then.

You have no idea.
Any other soundclips ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
it wont give you heavy black death metal, more of like an overdrive for playing general rock. i just sold mine. the clean channel is to die for though. you could sell it back on ebay for 750 dollars like i did.
You sure, in the youtube clip it sounded pretty heavy.
Yeah, if its not what I'm after I could probably make a few hundred of it in the second hand market.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
exactly. It's a win-win situation either way: You like it, you just got a kick ass amp for cheap, you don't like it, you could sell it and make a nice profit to buy something else.

EDIT: Forgot to add, what is it, the combo or the head? I read in some reviews that the amp really comes into itself with a 2x12 or 4x12 backing it, however, it still sounds really good in combo form (that's the only way I've heard it, and it sounded pretty sweet).
Last edited by RG_FANMAN at May 25, 2008,
the amp distortion doesn't get overly heavy. it will give you a nice gritty gain, but nothing death-metalish without pedals or anything. i bought the amp that i really wanted for 150 dollars, so now i have about 600 bucks laying around that i can spend on something else.
Hmm, i couldn't try it out yesterday as I had work.
I'm thinking of just saving for a 6505 seeing as its the amp I've wanted for a fair while now.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD