i would like to play blues on these guitars but i like to play anything so really what im asking is which ones would u say is more versitle can play more types of music better
I understand your problem (welcome to UG btw), but what you are asking is complicated question. There will be people who will tell you that a Strat is better, and there will be people who will tell you that a Les Paul is better. It is a matter of going to stores and playing them both, and then making a decision based on what you feel.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
hows the sustain on the strat? arent the pick ups better on the les paul better tho they have humbuckers the strat has single coil.(just so you know im a straight up guitar noob)
Last edited by Diablo52 at May 23, 2008,
id go for a less paul much fatter, rounder and more full tone that suits blues much better imo plus you get an extra fret and a more expressive scale length for easier bends, also the tuneomatic bridge means better sustain than on a a strat.
wat about the pick ups. arent the pick ups better on the les paul better tho they have humbuckers the strat has single coil.(just so you know im a straight up guitar noob)
( ive heard people say they have problems with the les paul going out of tune alot more than the strat)
Humbuckers aren't always better, they're just different - a rounder, darker sound. Whereas SCs are more thin and twangy. It depends which sound you want.

Hendrix, SRV, Buddy Guy - single coils. Peter Green, Gary Moore, Jimmy Page, Billy Gibbons - humbuckers. Mostly.

Also my Epiphone Les Paul goes out of tune a lot, but get a digital tuner and retune it frequently and it's not a huge problem.
Last edited by Lead Ninja at May 23, 2008,
Plenty of blues have been played on humbucker LPs and plenty has been played on single coil strats. There are such different guitars its hard to say one is more what you are looking for. You can always put p90s in a LP and get a more single coil sound but still keep some of the bottom end of a humbucker. And not sure the problem with LPs going out of tune. I can usually pick mine up the next day and its in tune or only has one string a little out.
Searchbarcaster
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
much As I hate saying this....-sigh-

go for the Strat for blues.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
There are plenty of blues artists with Les Pauls, the Strat is not the only Blues machine. For example, Clapton did play on Les Pauls and SGs (similar sounding Gibson guitar) a long time ago. Slash is also rather bluesy (he takes his influence from quite a bit of blues) and uses a Les Paul. Artists such as Albert King and Johnny Winter use Gibsons as well.

You need to decide for yourself, because they are very different guitars. Youtube? It's a reasonable place if you want to listen to them without leaving the house. I personally don't particularly like the treblier sound of a Strat, but that's just me. EQing it properly can help a lot too.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Yeah, I'd go play both guitars, see which one sounds better, and which one feels better. If you were going to get a strat, I'd go with the HSS (humbucker, single, single) for it's versatility. For what it's worth I have one, and I love it for blues. Best of luck to ya.
Umm id prefer the les paul. I like the neck alot more, its nicer to play in my opinion
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Quote by Diablo52
wat about the pick ups. arent the pick ups better on the les paul better tho they have humbuckers the strat has single coil.(just so you know im a straight up guitar noob)
( ive heard people say they have problems with the les paul going out of tune alot more than the strat)

I'm a noob as well, and it sounds like our tone preferences are similar. I ended up getting a Strat HSS (Humbucker-single-single), and am having a blast!. My tastes run from Mott the Hoople to Offspring to The bottle rockets, and all points in between, and my strat can pull it off.

Yes, I still suck, but it's not the fault ot the equipment

Also, I'm sure I will be corrected if wrong, but it seems a whammy equipped guitar would go out of tune more often than a non-whammy. I don't have much trouble, but I don't even install the whammy when I'm playing.
2007 Fender Mexi-Strat HSS, 1977 Les Paul Custom (under construction), Fender Sonoran AE, 19?? Fender Pro Reverb, Peavey Vypyr 75
Last edited by twistedLV at May 23, 2008,