Hi, yesterday i was playing my electric and i hear something rattling and i saw the bolt thing keeping my jack in my guitar in place, was lose. i screwed it tight again but after that, the amp wouldnt respond to the guitar anymore, it just made a wall of noise.

any suggestions?

thanks.
Unscrew it and see if the wires are connected to the input thingy-magij It's a pain in the arse, its happened to mine so many time.

I had to take mine in to get it soldered (which only cost £5 at my guitar shop) then it ****ed up the day after!
You have to be careful when retightening the nut on an input jack. If you aren't holding the jack in place, you can start turning it along with the nut. When that starts turning, the wiring on the inside starts turning with it, and there's only so much slack. You probably pulled a connection loose by accident. Open up the jack plate and take a look. And the next time you have a loose jack, take off the plate and hold the jack on the inside as you tighten the nut on the outside.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
You have to be careful when retightening the nut on an input jack. If you aren't holding the jack in place, you can start turning it along with the nut. When that starts turning, the wiring on the inside starts turning with it, and there's only so much slack. You probably pulled a connection loose by accident. Open up the jack plate and take a look. And the next time you have a loose jack, take off the plate and hold the jack on the inside as you tighten the nut on the outside.

thanks, that was a clear explanation : )
Quote by WantToLearn
thanks, that was a clear explanation : )

You are welcome. I did the same thing when I was about 16 with my first guitar. Once I figured out what happened, I vowed to never belittle anybody else who did it. Let he without sin, as the saying goes.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack

Aye, thats a very good explanation, You learn something new every day
So I unscrewed the jack panel and i saw there was 1 white wire attached to the inputjack, but on the tube thing of the jack itself, there were 2 of these 'attachement' places, where the white wire was attached, if you know what i mean. i thought perhaps there should be 2 wires connected to the input jack but i didnt see any wires hanging loose or anything.

does anybody know if there should be 2 wires connected to it?

thanks.
Quote by WantToLearn
Hi, yesterday i was playing my electric and i hear something rattling and i saw the bolt thing keeping my jack in my guitar in place, was lose. i screwed it tight again but after that, the amp wouldnt respond to the guitar anymore, it just made a wall of noise.

any suggestions?

thanks.

U rock

You're dutch so you rock
Sorry had to be said
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by SquierLolz
U rock

You're dutch so you rock
Sorry had to be said

you rock too man, thanks
where do you live in holland

Je woont toevallig toch niet In Brabant eeh
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by WantToLearn
So I unscrewed the jack panel and i saw there was 1 white wire attached to the inputjack, but on the tube thing of the jack itself, there were 2 of these 'attachement' places, where the white wire was attached, if you know what i mean. i thought perhaps there should be 2 wires connected to the input jack but i didnt see any wires hanging loose or anything.

does anybody know if there should be 2 wires connected to it?

thanks.

There should also be a black wire (Ground) running from the back of your volume pot to the other tab on the jack. If that is not there then that is why you have no signal. you should be able to see the end of it inside the control cavity where the jack is. Just resolder it to the tab and away you go.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Quote by GOLDIE93
There should also be a black wire (Ground) running from the back of your volume pot to the other tab on the jack. If that is not there then that is why you have no signal. you should be able to see the end of it inside the control cavity where the jack is. Just resolder it to the tab and away you go.

yeah i was looking for a loose wire, but i can't find one. strange.
Quote by SquierLolz
where do you live in holland

Je woont toevallig toch niet In Brabant eeh

nijmegen
Quote by WantToLearn
yeah i was looking for a loose wire, but i can't find one. strange.

You are now going to have to access your other electronics. Depending on the guitar you may have to take the whole pickguard assembly off if it is a strat type. or open up the other cavity in the back(lespaul type) look for a black wire that is not attatched at one end and feed it thru the hole to the jack cavity then re solder it. Either way you definetly need one so if you cannot find it , take a piece of wire and solder it to the back of the volume pot and solder the other end to the blank tab on your jack.

Just for your own safety refer to it as an OUTPUT jack. It doesn't matter to me what you call it but some of the Nazis here on UG will crucify you for calling it an input jack.
ITS A F***ING OUTPUT JACK

sorry but that really annoys me
Quote by Demonikk
+1 on everything phip said

Main Gear
PRS SE Custom
Jay Turser Strat
Classic 30
Effects
Beheringer Distortion pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby
DigiTech Bad Monkey
Quote by GOLDIE93
Just for your own safety refer to it as an OUTPUT jack. It doesn't matter to me what you call it but some of the Nazis here on UG will crucify you for calling it an input jack.

That's because it makes no Bob-damned sense. It's like those freaks who think the neck of a guitar is called "the arm", only with "input jack" being way stupider, because no signal ever goes into 99.997% of all guitars ever made.
like said,

ground wire on inner most lug

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by phip
ITS A F***ING OUTPUT JACK

sorry but that really annoys me

That annoys me too, I only came in here to correct that.
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to.
-Jimi Hendrix
Sorry, I know the diff, too, but since it's a female connection I sometimes just slip and refer to it as input. Mah baaaad.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Hmm...I wonder if it's an output jack?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by GOLDIE93

Amazing how all the Input/Output Nazis jump in only after I mention this to him...
Do you guys punch INPUT into the search bar and scan for people that accidentally call a part by the wrong name.
everyone knows what he was refering to so its not like he called it the thing where the chord goes.
honestly i dont see the big deal.

it's a universal part.
sometimes on a guitar it's an innie, sometimes on an amp it's an outtie.

also, i notice guys that have pet peeves almost never post to help, just to correct.
maybe they can all grow up to be underwear inspectors or something.

whoopidee doo.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by WantToLearn
nijmegen

Bwaah tever weg k zoek peeps om mee tah jammah
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H