I have an Agile AL2000(mahogany, 2 humbuckers w/ cermaic magents) and a Roland Microcube(tone control that cuts or adds treble, reverb's always on just a pinch, gain between 35% and 65%, 8" speaker).

When I turn up the volume on my amp(~1/2 way) or strike the strings harder, I get a bit of a boom to my sound; it seems to have a lot of bass to it. Can this be remedied by using coils instead, or will an EQ do me more good here?

Also, no matter what the volume is, my tone just sounds very round and full all of the time, and I can't seem to get a more piercing sound(I've cranked the tone, it sounded awful). Is this because of my humbuckers/mahogany? Do single coils provide a sound with more "bite"?
Try this and see if it helps: Lower the pickups on the bass side by a little. Then maybe think about getting an EQ. But your pickups might be too close on the bass side.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
'Bite' has more to do with EQ and pickup hotput. Single coils have more 'twang', not 'bite'.

Try what BaffAttack said and lower the pickups a touch, though I think the real solution will be an EQ. Or, buy new humbuckers which naturally have more treble and less bass.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
'Bite' has more to do with EQ and pickup hotput. Single coils have more 'twang', not 'bite'.

Try what BaffAttack said and lower the pickups a touch, though I think the real solution will be an EQ. Or, buy new humbuckers which naturally have more treble and less bass.

An EQ would definitely be the "real" solution, but it's a lot cheaper to move the pickup down a tad first and see if it solves the problem

Also, when you say you 'cranked the tone' did you mean on the guitar tone knobs?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
An EQ would definitely be the "real" solution, but it's a lot cheaper to move the pickup down a tad first and see if it solves the problem

Also, when you say you 'cranked the tone' did you mean on the guitar tone knobs?

No, on the amp.

Thanks guys. I'm specifically looking for a "bite" or more piercing sound like John Frusciante got at Slane Castle(all over youtube), like for Can't Stop and Scar Tissue.
bud its most likely your amp not the pick-ups in your guytar so id recommend getting a new amp, or an EQ
Quote by RSX
No, on the amp.

Thanks guys. I'm specifically looking for a "bite" or more piercing sound like John Frusciante got at Slane Castle(all over youtube), like for Can't Stop and Scar Tissue.

Check to see where your guitars tone knob is set, too. You might have it all the way up, try rolling that back some as you play. Sustain a note or chord, and play with it some.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
EQ will help, but frankly if you're playing a mahogany LP-style guitar with humbuckers and you don't want a full, fat tone, you're just playing the wrong guitar!!
Frusciante plays mostly Teles, Strats and Jazzmasters/Jaguars. You ain't gonna get a Fender single-coil sound out of a LP-style guitar. Unless you get an EHX knockout attack
Quote by FunkedUp
EQ will help, but frankly if you're playing a mahogany LP-style guitar with humbuckers and you don't want a full, fat tone, you're just playing the wrong guitar!!
Frusciante plays mostly Teles, Strats and Jazzmasters/Jaguars. You ain't gonna get a Fender single-coil sound out of a LP-style guitar. Unless you get an EHX knockout attack

QFT. You're always gonna have a bassier sound by virtue of guitar choice, but I think if you take some of the quick fix advice given, you might be able to feel better about your tone.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I know a good part of it is my amp, and now I know that it's also in part due to the lack of a proper EQ.

My bridge tone is @~6.5, and my neck is @~3, but I never really use the neck(only bridge and bridge/neck). I'll play around with it some more, and try turning off the reverb.

Quote by FunkedUp

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear/verify.
No worries, as people have said, you can certainly achieve something a bit closer to what you want by way of EQing and such, but to be honest, like I said before, if the sound you really, really want is that slinky Frusciante twang, you're probably after a Jazzmaster or perhaps a Tele
Quote by RSX
Or a strat?

yeah strats are great for high end bite
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Your real solution is buying a Fender like the other guys said.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Personally I'd get a Jazzmaster as they're that much more versatile than a strat in my opinion. But I'm biased because I don't like strats: their sound or the way they play