on my UG profile I have uploaded some of the songs I've been recording and working on. some feedback would be great, especially the songs titled last word, mental clockwork, and greater heights.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Hadeed/

tomorrow morning I'll be heading in to do some vocal tracks and hopefully I'll be able to fluke some good vocal takes (its not my fort'e). I'll upload the full songs later on once I've mixed the vocals into it.

cheers
mental clockwork is awesome!
it kinda reminds me of a muse and him lol
Looking for a new sig!
decent production and some very nice, tasteful use of synths. its refreshing to hear this kind of originality on profiles, rather than some 14 year old trying to play trivium covers or recycled metalcore riffs.

what are you using to record? the guitars sound pretty awesome.
thanks a lot guys for the quick replies and feedback, I wasn't expecting that.
if you guys want me to go over some of your works, just post a link and I'll get to it asap.

Quote by samerika
mental clockwork is awesome!
it kinda reminds me of a muse and him lol

muse is one of my main influences, mental clockwork was the first song i wrote when branching out from my pop punk roots. apparently my vocals kind of sound like the singer from him, although I must admit that I've never really heard anything from them (musically or vocally).

Quote by haz_uk
decent production and some very nice, tasteful use of synths. its refreshing to hear this kind of originality on profiles, rather than some 14 year old trying to play trivium covers or recycled metalcore riffs.

cheers mate, I was actually afraid that since my songs were NOT metalesque that I wouldn't get much of a chance for feedback.

Quote by haz_uk
what are you using to record? the guitars sound pretty awesome.

what exactly do you mean? what guitar rig I used, or what mic setup, preamps, programs did I use?

everyone thinks the guitars sound great. I myself am a bit skeptical...
I guess that's just because you tend to not give yourself too much credit. I'm still trying to find a tone that I am happy with. most of those songs I re-recorded at least once or twice simply because the sounds I was getting wasn't doing it for me, although I did notice that I slowly was getting closer to the sound I was after.
all the recordings on your page are well done man, unexpectedly good sound quality also....great success. i just posted a couple older tracks i was working on, when i was screwing around with sound clips and such.

This would be them <http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/justinrobbins7/>

They were recorded with a 20 dollar radioshack mic, and a free program called Audacity...I have much better equipment now, thank heavens. I appreciate any feedback
Your Signature:
The drums sound great, and I really like the music, but honestly, I don't love the tone of the guitars. I think they are too grainy
The synths and pianos sound perfect, really good music!
The guitars i think are a little better in Greater heights, but still a little too distorted and up front in the mix. I would use a little more reverb and turn them down a tad. I really, really like greater heights, though, it sounds like it would be perfect for like a movie sound track, my only advice is to pull the guitars back a bit.

How do you do your drums and synths? and your pianos?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=866801
thats my latest, its not quite like your music, but you have really inspired me to start trying some more ambient stuff.
Quote by Hadeed
what exactly do you mean? what guitar rig I used, or what mic setup, preamps, programs did I use?

sorry, should have narrowed it down some. what mic setup, interface and programs did you use?
Quote by flyinguitar
The drums sound great, and I really like the music, but honestly, I don't love the tone of the guitars. I think they are too grainy
The synths and pianos sound perfect, really good music!
The guitars i think are a little better in Greater heights, but still a little too distorted and up front in the mix. I would use a little more reverb and turn them down a tad. I really, really like greater heights, though, it sounds like it would be perfect for like a movie sound track, my only advice is to pull the guitars back a bit.

How do you do your drums and synths? and your pianos?

in greater heights and last word I used 8 mics for the kit.
2 snare, 2 bass, 1 hihat, 1 on each tom (2), and 1 figure 8 mic for overhead... i'm still experimenting with overhead micing... and i only had access to 8 working inputs out of 16... i couldnt be buggered repositioning the mics so i did it with 1 overhead.

in mental clockwork the drums are programmed :P my drummer couldn't come in to the studio to record unfortunately.

synth sounds i use a protools plugin called Xpand! i just experimented with the sounds available, and then tweeked the variables (envelopes, decay, attack, etc). piano is also using the plugins but in mental clockwork i got to use a baby grand piano miced with 2 AKG mics. i've got real piano recorded for greater heights but i haven't been bothered working with it yet.

Quote by haz_uk
sorry, should have narrowed it down some. what mic setup, interface and programs did you use?

protools HD, for the guitar sound i used a mesa dual rectifier amp. i tried a marshall jcm900 but it was ****ty.
i used a whole heap of random mics that i just yanked out of a cupboard and threw infront of the guitar amp. I know for the guitars i used an sm57 and something else...some shotgun condenser style mic. all of which went through avalon preamps.

Quote by priceless_twirp
Greater heights is a beautful piece of composition! Very epic. The use of strings is just stunning. And to get such a dynamic range in an amaturly recorded song is very impressive!!. How do you get the string sounds?

thanks a lot! i stated this before, but the strings were done using Xpand! it requires you to program them in using MIDI and then apply the plug which has a whole load of sounds to choose from.
i listened to mental clockwork. its a pretty cool song. i have to say, though, i think the guitars sounded out of tune with the piano in the intro, and your tone for your guitars seemed a little thin. as a song it sounded great though. nice melodies and feel.
____________________ ___________________
..............................................I have epic fail.........................................

I listened to "Last Word" and really dugg it. Pretty good production, very clean sounding. I love the tone of your guitars. The bass line sounds very nice as well. Not too much else I can say about it. Some keyboards and/or vocals would really fill out the song. Very nice work! I really enjoyed your tunes.

P.S. Thanks for the crit on my thread!
Mental Clockwork is by far my favorite man. Can't wait to hear it with vocals!
thanks for all the feedback... I hope I replied to all of your comments by critiquing your songs.

I've been busy in the studio dealing with hardware issues and losing my vocal takes

BUT...

I've just uploaded the latest version of Greater Heights with vocals on it. you can clearly hear a bit of stress in my voice as I did it the day after I lost my oiginal voice recordings... but that's life. I've also fixed the mix up and used some of the pointers, and added the real recorded baby grand piano

check it out on my profile and gimmie feedback please.

i'll start mixing and putting the final version of mental clockwork up soon with vocals.
the vocals are admittedly the weak point, but even with that in mind they're stronger than half the idiots running around with contracts these days. The production, as previously stated, was superb, and the ambience you're going for is definitely there. One thing, though--I'd like to see you "settle in" on the sound once the vocals kick in (specifically on Mental Clockwork), if that makes any sense at all. If it seemed more established / less ambient through the main structured part of the song, the intro and outro would contrast nicely, while still blending in. In my mind, anyway XD

Anyway, if you've got the time and cochlear fortitude, here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=876271
It's nowhere near your level.
I owe a ton of people critiques.

If you're one of them, please PM me.

I have trouble keeping track.
Cor nice. Really different, very tasteful. Well done. Mental clockwork is very cool. Good work.
Orophin
I listened to these a few times and I gotta say they blew me away dude. Absolutely fantastic work here. Like others have said, the guitar tone is just a bit too harsh. Perhaps boost the low mids and cut down the highs a bit? Otherwise great stuff. Reminds me of a movie soundtrack. Anyway, looking forward to more stuff from you.

If you don't mind something heavy, mind giving a crit?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=876405
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
i agree with everyone saying mental clockwork is nice. its not really my cup of tea but its a well written song. i also like greater heights but i think your tone is a bit too sharp. if you find the time maybe youll crit some of mine. they're acoustic but maybe youll like them
i have no sig
I've only got time for 1 at the moment, so Mental Clockwork it is. Pretty sweet stuff, a kind of eerie feeling to it. My first reaction to your tone was not a positive one, but I like the way it fit. Vocals just came in, nice touch. Are you playing all the instruments? I feel like the guitar before the vocals came in could be cleaned up a little bit, but thats just me. Overall very cool stuff, no big complaints. Its a different sound than what im used to, I like it. to you good sir. Mind critting mine?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=876160
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.