Im a little but unsure, but could i use a monster guitar cable to connect a amp head and a cab? Or do i need some special sort of cable for that?
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

speaker cable
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
what will happen if i try with the guitar cable? its 1/4 outs and ins on the cab and head,
the music store is closed and i wanna try out my new amp :p

don't risk it. An instrument cable isn't meant to carry a powered signal like an amplifier puts out. Instrument cable is a very thin tiny core conductor with insulation and shielding around it. Speaker cable is much thicker wire and not shielded.

If it heats up, it can melt the shielding and short, melt the solder connections on the jack and go to open load, etc...
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I'm sure nothing will happen. It's not as if there are high currents flowing through there, it certainly won't melt anything.
You can also use a normal electricity cable if you can solder it to 2 jacks.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Ventor
I'm sure nothing will happen. It's not as if there are high currents flowing through there, it certainly won't melt anything.

Speakers have VERY high current going to them at significant volumes. And it WILL melt a guitar cable if he turns it up at all.

TS, just wait until you can get a proper speaker cable. It will save you a lot of repair costs in the long run.
Quote by Ventor

lol, it can be full Amperes of current running thru that cable depending on the power, not tiny milliamps of current. Normal appliance electric cable is MUCH thicker than instrument cable.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
found a store that was open so got a speaker cable now, but i dont think it was so good quality, since it was prett cheap, and they didnt have any others

this blackheart is loud as hell 5 watt setting and volume on 5 and my ear hurts if i sit close

Quote by Jaekae
found a store that was open so got a speaker cable now, but i dont think it was so good quality, since it was prett cheap, and they didnt have any others

this blackheart is loud as hell 5 watt setting and volume on 5 and my ear hurts if i sit close

5 watts can be bloody loud, ehh? Get some earplugs and crank that bitch. You can thank me later.
Quote by Erock503
lol, it can be full Amperes of current running thru that cable depending on the power, not tiny milliamps of current. Normal appliance electric cable is MUCH thicker than instrument cable.

If it were full amperes running through there many people would have been killed by amps.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Ventor
If it were full amperes running through there many people would have been killed by amps.

you need to do a little research before spouting off things as fact. Look up Ohms laws.

Ohms law:
P = V x I or P = I^2 x R or P = V^2 / R

Where P is the power in Watts, V is the voltage in Volts, R is the resistance in Ohms, and I is the current in Amperes. Do some calculations and get a clue.
amp clips
amp vids
I'm with Ventor. I ran a VJ head with an instrument cable, cranked weekly, for 4 or 5 months out of ignorance back in the day. I still use the cable, and the VJ never suffered any negative effects.

I also once left my Champ 600 on for 4 hours without a speaker plugged in. Nothing went wrong.

I once plugged my 5150 into a cab that turned out to have a failed input jack, so it put no load on the amp. I toyed with it for a few minutes, with the amp on, then cut it off. No damage.

Amps arn't as fragile as everyone would have you think. I think riffhog one ran a marshall head with a hand-wire power amp out with no load for years with no ill effect.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I'm with Ventor. I ran a VJ head with an instrument cable, cranked weekly, for 4 or 5 months out of ignorance back in the day. I still use the cable, and the VJ never suffered any negative effects.

I also once left my Champ 600 on for 4 hours without a speaker plugged in. Nothing went wrong.

I once plugged my 5150 into a cab that turned out to have a failed input jack, so it put no load on the amp. I toyed with it for a few minutes, with the amp on, then cut it off. No damage.

Amps arn't as fragile as everyone would have you think. I think riffhog one ran a marshall head with a hand-wire power amp out with no load for years with no ill effect.

come on Spine, I figured you would know better. A VJ is 5W, that's not a lot of power even cranked. You can get away with using one sometimes in a pinch, but it's not smart at all to use one long term, you are rolling the dice. That's not even considering capacitance issues.

Just think of the simple physics of it man. Say an amp is putting out 100W, with an 8ohm cab load. That's 3.5amps running thru the cable when it's cranked to the point before clipping. Think about how hot the tiny core conductor in an instrument cable can get running that much current thru it.

and seriously man, I highly doubt Randy would run something with no load for years, he's far too smart for that. Especially a Marshall tube amp, which already have a reputation for more delicate output transformers.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at May 23, 2008,
i want ur avatar...
i've tried a hundred times to upload my own, what i did was take that logo off the internet and resize it in paint and it NEVER worked for me...

anyways i been wanting a GNR avatar since i joined but never got it to work for me

oh yea and power to the amp bro, i'm sure you know as well as i do how great the blackhearts are for doing GNR
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by Erock503
you need to do a little research before spouting off things as fact. Look up Ohms laws.

Ohms law:
P = V x I or P = I^2 x R or P = V^2 / R

Where P is the power in Watts, V is the voltage in Volts, R is the resistance in Ohms, and I is the current in Amperes. Do some calculations and get a clue.

You're right, and I learned something new: high current & low voltage & high body resistance = not lethal
Haven't worked with electricity for a long time, I should do some catching up ::type
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Ventor
You're right, I learned something new
Haven't worked with electricity for a long time, I should do some catching up ::type

yeah, sorry about that reply, it was a little abrasive. I need to drink some beers and get ready for the weekend.

amp clips
amp vids
Quote by jimmy666page666
Once again Erock knows his stuff.

haha, occasionally. funny though, the more stuff I learn, the more I realize I don't know squat, lol.

amp clips
amp vids
Quote by slash_rocks2005
i want ur avatar...
i've tried a hundred times to upload my own, what i did was take that logo off the internet and resize it in paint and it NEVER worked for me...

anyways i been wanting a GNR avatar since i joined but never got it to work for me

oh yea and power to the amp bro, i'm sure you know as well as i do how great the blackhearts are for doing GNR

if you want to i can make you a working gnr avatar :P

since you also have the bad mankey and same amp as me, maby you could give me your best settings for the gnr tone, will save some time for me finding it :p