I'm a guitar newbie, so I don't know if this is really obvious but noone I've asked who plays guitar seems to know either....

What is the difference between overdrive and distortion?

Thanks Very Much,

yaffle
overdrive is the natural crunchy warm sound produced when pushing valves harder than normal.

distortion is an artificial harsher overdriven sound made by distortion pedals and amps.
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
overdrive is the sound of amp tubes driven to the point where the sound starts to break up, distortion is artificially applied to the sound wave, I think that's a pretty close description.
Its a pretty self explanitory thing really, Overdrive are tubes that are overdriven, or pushed to their limits and beyond. Distortion just takes that to extremes.
overdrive = soft clipping, similiar to how a valve/tube saturates and clips

distortion = hard clipping, tops of the wave form are cut off, simliar to how a transistor clips

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
overdrive = soft clipping, similiar to how a valve/tube saturates and clips

distortion = hard clipping, tops of the wave form are cut off, simliar to how a transistor clips

That's a very good explanation. A very bad and rough generalisation: Distortion is the metal/rock thing, overdrive is the blues/light rock thing.
Quote by freedoms_stain
overdrive is the sound of amp tubes driven to the point where the sound starts to break up, distortion is artificially applied to the sound wave, I think that's a pretty close description.

Artificial? Tubes aren't "natural" either, they're man made, so it's just as artificial no matter what (tubes or transistors) is doing the clipping.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.