I'm going to be purchasing a Squier by Fender Vintage Modified '70s Jazz Bass hopefully this weekend becuase GC is having a Memorial Day Sale. I've been saving up and I was so pumped until about yesterday I realized I needed an amp...Needless to say I felt retarted for not realizing it.

Anyway, I don't know anything about bass amps and I have about $275 which is just enough for the bass but depending on how much the sale is the bass will be less. Even if I don't get the amp this weekend I'd appreciate any suggestions of a cheap bass amp that'll just be cool for practicing and occasionally playing with electric guitar.

Thanks

EDIT: I don't know if this means anything but I will probably be playing alot of RHCP type stuff.
Last edited by O-52-A-50-R at May 23, 2008,
Your might be able to get a small practice amp but thats about it. Brands to look at Fender, Ashdown, Warwick, Peavy.
any 10 watt bass amp will be good untill you can get money to buy a bigger and better amp. My advice is to say away from crate amps.
Quote by Captain Insano
Your might be able to get a small practice amp but thats about it. Brands to look at Fender, Ashdown, Warwick, Peavy.

Yeah, I was looking at Fender. My problem is that I don't know what to look for on a bass amp... Is this any good? Bassman 250/115 Combo and how much does it cost? Because it doesn't say the price on the link.
Quote by Phat Stud 55
any 10 watt bass amp will be good untill you can get money to buy a bigger and better amp. My advice is to say away from crate amps.

So I take it the bass amp in my second post is too big? Is this good? Fender Rumble 15 Bass Combo Amp
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If you can, try it out somewhere. The bass forum FAQ has a section dedicated to amplification too.

I've only played on a huge awesome bass amp (Don't remember the name) that my friend had. It was about up to where my stomach meets my chest.

My point? I don't know what a "good" amp sounds like, I have like no experience
Quote by O-52-A-50-R
I've only played on a huge awesome bass amp (Don't remember the name) that my friend had. It was about up to where my stomach meets my chest.

My point? I don't know what a "good" amp sounds like, I have like no experience

You liking the sound is the key thing.

Good all round frequency response, tone variety and character (or the lack of character in some people's cases) are generall the key points to judge an amp on, tonally.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
i had a small fender rumble (25 watt, not 15) amp until it recently got stolen, and I was really happy with it. It was just loud enough to be heard over drums, and did fine for practices and small quiet gigs (jazz etc.), and for the bigger gigs it was straight into the PA, so it suited me fine!

I don't know how a 15 watt would fare, but the 25 was fine for my needs. And the sound was superb. I'd definitely reccomend.
Quote by gm jack
You liking the sound is the key thing.

Good all round frequency response, tone variety and character (or the lack of character in some people's cases) are generall the key points to judge an amp on, tonally.

Ok, so I'll try it out oibviously but would this be a good bass amp for my (soon to be) bass and situation? Fender Rumble 15 Bass Combo Amp
Quote by joerick
i had a small fender rumble (25 watt, not 15) amp until it recently got stolen, and I was really happy with it. It was just loud enough to be heard over drums, and did fine for practices and small quiet gigs (jazz etc.), and for the bigger gigs it was straight into the PA, so it suited me fine!

I don't know how a 15 watt would fare, but the 25 was fine for my needs. And the sound was superb. I'd definitely reccomend.

I was looking at both the 15 and 25 but the 15 was about $60 cheaper

EDIT: After reading customer reviews, I think I prefer the 25 watt
Last edited by O-52-A-50-R at May 23, 2008,
I think the Squier VM and the fender rumble would make a great "starters kit". Just dont stare blind on one thing and try something out. Oh and stay away from Behringer they tend to break down even on the advertise folder. No serious the tend to die to quick.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
I just got a Hartke A25 over the weekend for $189.99.

I like it! It has some nice features like the ability to plug it into an external cab. It also has a limiter to do a bit of compression, which I like as well.

Link: http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1669&brandID=3

I the amp it at Sam Ash here in Nashville on Saturday to go with a GRS200FM that I bought from a guy off of CL.
Epiphone G400 Cherry
Ibanez GSA60 Jewel Blue
Jasmine S35
Squire Affinity Strat
Roland Micro Cube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Cry Baby

Ibanez GSR200FM