What exactly is 'high gain'? As in, could you give me an example of a song with high gain? I mean, metallica's master of puppets/ride the lightning seems very distorted to me (i mean, it sounds awesome!) and is this high gain? pantera? is that high gain?

If so could a peavey valveking 112 give me 'high gain'? randall rg50t? laney vc30?

Basically just looking for mile stones here and which amps are capable of them!
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
um high gain to someone who listens to classical might be led zepplin. But to a metal head arch enemy/morbid angel might be considered high gain. Anyway as to the amps thye vc30 is more vintage voiced and is a cross between a vox ac and a marshall. So would get you to maybe black sabbath levels without a boost, and with a booster/od maybe megadeth. As for the valveking ive never tried. And the randall will offer a pretty tight sorta non organic/pedal type sound. Might offer good songs on that budget.
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Opinions vary really. There are times when I'm listening to Coheed & Cambria and I'll think they're high gain, then stick on some I Killed The Prom Queen and say the same about them.

Valveking with an OD in front, or a tube and speaker swap, will get you high gain. Never tried the others you suggested. Might want to look into an Ashdown Fallen Angel or a B52 as well.
Generally people agree that a Valveking is better off with a speaker/tube swap or an OD pedal for metal, the distortion is not strong enough alone (although some people think it is - you should try it out for yourself). I'm not too sure about the VC30 (it's not a low gain amp I think, but not sure if it can do metal). I believe the Randall can do metal alone, and definitely can with a boost.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
hhm ideally you wanted a super hotrodded marshal stack or mesa pre amp. Which is why im getting an ENGL blackmore soon. That huge mesa low end with the marshall bite
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Quote by fretblaze
What exactly is 'high gain'? As in, could you give me an example of a song with high gain? I mean, metallica's master of puppets/ride the lightning seems very distorted to me (i mean, it sounds awesome!) and is this high gain? pantera? is that high gain?

If so could a peavey valveking 112 give me 'high gain'? randall rg50t? laney vc30?

Basically just looking for mile stones here and which amps are capable of them!

i made a rough list a while back of which amps are high gain and so forth in the stickies, but bear in mind it's opinion, and also a while since i made those lists (so my opinion may be different now).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
high gain is basically akin to the Philosopher's Stone or Holy Grail. In reality it is unattainable and we must suffer the gain characteristic of bands like Metallica and Pantera. There is never enough gain and if you think you have "high gain", you are mistaken because in reality, you don't have enough gain.

In short there is no amplifier on this plane of existence with "high gain".
Quote by afrika18
high gain is basically akin to the Philosopher's Stone or Holy Grail. In reality it is unattainable and we must suffer the gain characteristic of bands like Metallica and Pantera. There is never enough gain and if you think you have "high gain", you are mistaken because in reality, you don't have enough gain.

If you need more gain than Pantera you must be either insane or terrible
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Varkunus
im getting an ENGL blackmore soon. That huge mesa low end with the marshall bite
That's what I like about my JSX.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by afrika18

First of all, +1 to timi.

Second of all, fail. Does your amp contain 12AX7s and power tubes? If it does, then it's high gain.

Anyway, the VC30 can achieve a very good impression of the brown sound when fitted with a G12H and boosted by an EQ.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by timi_hendrix
If you need more gain than Pantera you must be either insane or terrible

+1

I think any one who uses a 6505 with the gain over 5 is not using it right. It all sounds too muddy and undefined. BRRRRROOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR (1 note, or 10? hmmmz, i cannot tell, too much gain)

So yes, there surely exist amps with too much gain.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl