Hi. At the moment, I'm playing an Epi Dot through various effects into a Fender pro junior. before upgrading guitars (because I quite like it), I thought I should go for a really good amp first an wait a year or so for another guitar.

the criteria I'm looking for is:

- 30 watt tube, or around that vol
- 2 channels, so I can have a nice overdrive at low volumes
- Preferrably new, because if not I'll go on ebay and never actually try the damn thing
- Suit my genre (play Radiohead, Interpol, Bloc Party, Hendrix, Beatles but I tend to play with a slightly heavier sound than those)
- Nice tone, I don't want anything too bright and I intend to have quite a few pedals, so I'd like it to work well with those.

My Budget is £500 give or take £50 or so. Please bare in mind I'm in the UK, so I'm pretty sure I can't get Crates or Traynor's and Fender are slightly more expensive while Laney's, (and possibly) Oranges and Vox's are slightly cheaper. Emphasise slightly.

So yeah, looking at the Vox AC30 with alternatives from the fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Peavey Delta Blues. Anything I've missed or would teh Vox be a good choice?

Any help appreciated.
The Laney VC30 sounds a lot like a Vox AC30.

Maybe get that, with a new speaker, and maybe an OD or fuzz for Hendrix and whatnot?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I have a vox ac30cc2, if thats the on you are talking about, its really good. but I cant get anything high gain, atleast not without pedals...its good for lower and midrange rock on its own. some people have said that they put some muff and distortion pedals to get a metalish sound, but I never tried it..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
But that's... under my budget. I swear this never happens.

No offence, but if the Laney sounds like the Vox, couldn't I just go for the Vox?

Also, is there a major diference between a 30 watt amp with one 12" speaker or two?

EDIT: The above was in response to RHCP Freak
Quote by OffWithHisHead
But that's... under my budget. I swear this never happens.

No offence, but if the Laney sounds like the Vox, couldn't I just go for the Vox?

Also, is there a major diference between a 30 watt amp with one 12" speaker or two?

EDIT: The above was in response to RHCP Freak

Sounds fuller with two. However, if they both aren't good, you'll have to change two speakers.

A stock Laney VC30 might be a little bright for some, but yeah, try them both out.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I have a Vox AC30CC1 (only one speaker). I would recommend it. Beware tough single coils are pretty bright on this one. It sound pretty vintage and can produce perfect Beatles sound (they used it in studio). I would recommend putting something like a tube screamer or a good OD/DS pedal in front of it. The channels are not footswitchable. It can sound close to Hendrix. Not the same but still. And for the two or one speakers issues it is true that two speakers sound fuller and wider but one is plenty enough, except if you use stereo effects like a Leslie emulator and stuff.
So many jerks, so few bullets
Sorry for bringing this up again, but I'm going to the nearby shop and trying out some amps tomorrow and I have a few queries beforehand. they only have a few amps within my price range (pushing it up to £600 max), which are:

-Vox CC AC30
- Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
- Fender Blues Deluxe
- Fender Hot Rod Deville 212 (although, it is far too loud)
- Marshall DSL401

No Oranges or Peavey's unfortunatley. I'm particularly interested in the top two so I wondered what reputation they have, how good they are clean and how heavy they can go as well as whether they respond well to pedals (mainly the last one).

so yeah, any help appreciated.

EDIT: Oh, and their reliabilty- how prone are they to breaking down/ screwing up.
Last edited by OffWithHisHead at May 26, 2008,
Also bear in mind with the current AC30s that the more expensive 2x12 has celestion blues in, which are 'better' than the speaker in the 1x12, which is 'better' than than the speakers in the cheaper 2x12.

AC30 will certainly get you closer to what you listed than a Hot Rod.

I've had my hot rod for about a year. Takes pedals fairly well - especially Tube Screamer type pedals but you will notice tone suck. No problems so far. For some reason they use a linear pot on the master volume control (big volume difference at lower settings, little at higher settings) for the drive channel but audio taper pot on the clean channel (smooth difference) so bear that in mind when you're looking at volume. It is loud though. Drive channel is not brilliant but clean channel is probably one of the best in the price range. Works well with strats.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Which speakers are those?

In order of theoretical quality, would it go:

- Celestion Alnico Blue Speaker
- Celestion Neodymium NeoDog Speaker
- Custom GSH12-30 Speaker

Anyway, thanks.

So how heavy could the vox amp go? I don't think this will be much of an issue, I can pretty much get the heaviest sound I want out of the fender pro junior with an Od pedal maxed on gain.

I shall be assuming that the vox handles pedals quite well, its shaping up to be the likeliest choice.
Can you really afford an AC30? I mean i would have thought they wer a lot more than £500, mine cost 1000euro. But ya they are great for Beatles and and Radiohead stuff, they don't quite have enough gain for Hendrix (he did use a fuzz face with his amp though) but i find that his stuff still sounds great on it. Cleans are great also but you don't have 2 separate channels (well not in the way modern amps do anyway)
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
AC30.

Everyone needs an AC30 at some point in there guitar playing life.

Everyone.

/uselessness.
Quote by colin617
AC30.

Everyone needs an AC30 at some point in there guitar playing life.

Everyone.

/uselessness.

Good god your gear is the sex!!!!!!
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by Bossman123
Can you really afford an AC30? I mean i would have thought they wer a lot more than £500, mine cost 1000euro.

Yeah, I can get a Vox AC30 Custom Classic 30W 1x12 w/ Celestion Neodymium NeoDog Speaker for £570 (I did say give or take £50, so I can stretch to this).

And I should be able to get a nice heavy overdive with an OD pedal, right? The only thing I have to compare it to is a fender pro junior- will it go heavier than that, or teh same?
Quote by OffWithHisHead
Sorry for bringing this up again, but I'm going to the nearby shop and trying out some amps tomorrow and I have a few queries beforehand. they only have a few amps within my price range (pushing it up to £600 max), which are:

-Vox CC AC30
- Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
- Fender Blues Deluxe
- Fender Hot Rod Deville 212 (although, it is far too loud)
- Marshall DSL401

No Oranges or Peavey's unfortunatley. I'm particularly interested in the top two so I wondered what reputation they have, how good they are clean and how heavy they can go as well as whether they respond well to pedals (mainly the last one).

so yeah, any help appreciated.

EDIT: Oh, and their reliabilty- how prone are they to breaking down/ screwing up.

I wish someone told me this when i got my deville 410.
hot rod deluxe would be a good option, it gets a really transparent clean that will get your pedals to sound great